Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325349 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2009, 09:36:04 AM »
Good luck getting chorizo up here.  I actually bought some jalapenos a while back and the checker looked at them like they were from another planet.  She literally had NO idea what they were.

So, for today, I think I'll just keep it simple--beer-can chicken, some potatoes/veggie mix, and a salad.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »
I made so incredible patties out of ground turkey.  I couldn't believe how good they were.  It's nice that I haven't lost my touch.

My wife has been cooking my meals.  My condition scares her and causes her to default to "hospital food bland".  Bless her heart. 

I showed her we could have "heart healthy" and tasty.  She thought the turkey patties were wonderful.  I served chopped turnip greens and sweet & sour glazed carrots on the side.

The only problem is I wasn't suppose to be on my feet that long.   :innocent:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
Good luck getting chorizo up here.  I actually bought some jalapenos a while back and the checker looked at them like they were from another planet.  She literally had NO idea what they were.

So, for today, I think I'll just keep it simple--beer-can chicken, some potatoes/veggie mix, and a salad.

I had a hard time finding the chorizo down here.  I've only found one brand that I like, and I had to go to three different stores to find that -- its the loose stuff in a sausage casing that looks like dog food.  I bought everything they had on the shelf.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
Oh, and for those 1 or 2 of you who are reading this, I present to you:

Damn thing was so tender and falling-off-the-bone that I barely got it off the holder.  Oh, it tastes about 100 times better than it looks.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Flame

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2009, 07:42:43 AM »
Oh, and for those 1 or 2 of you who are reading this, I present to you:

Damn thing was so tender and falling-off-the-bone that I barely got it off the holder.  Oh, it tastes about 100 times better than it looks.

Looks yummy!   Last night we had our Saturday night stand-by...Nachos.  My youngest had a friend over for the night.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »
Last time I did a beer can chicken, it was great.  I don't have a can holder, so I just pulled the wings and legs back far enough to stand the bird upright. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »
Oh, it was quite tasty indeed.  I also made O'Brien potatoes for breakfast this morning, a big batch.  The extras will go with the steak tonight and the leftovers for the next few days.

Offline Flame

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
Just had a most awesome bowl of baked potato soup, garnished with a dollop of sour cream, chives and crumbled bacon.   Divine!

Offline debk

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
Just had a most awesome bowl of baked potato soup, garnished with a dollop of sour cream, chives and crumbled bacon.   Divine!

another sign that fall is on the way..... :yahoo:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2009, 07:15:20 PM »
I'm poaching some eggs, toasting a couple of English muffins, grilling Canadian bacon, and stirring up some Hollandaise sauce.  I'm also preparing a black olive/portobella mushroom/sweet onion salad with bread'n butter pickle relish. 

Guess what we're having?

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:39 PM »
I grilled a couple of turkey brats and some turkey cutlets marinated in tomato basil vinagrette.  Brussels, carrots and corn.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2009, 05:22:59 PM »
Ham and Cheese on white served with Cape Cod potato chips...I'm quite the gourmet..

Offline djones520

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »
Steak ala glass shard.

Wife was cooking them on the stove in a pyrex dish for some reason, and then poured a bunch of wine fresh from the fridge on them and voila explodo pyrex.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »
Doesn't it say "Not for stove top use" on all Pyrex dishes?

Offline djones520

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
Doesn't it say "Not for stove top use" on all Pyrex dishes?

Meh.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
Ham and Cheese on white served with Cape Cod potato chips...I'm quite the gourmet..

Cut the sandwich diagonally twice making four triangles.  Stand the triangles side-by-side crust down.  Use toothpicks if necessary.  Lay chips around standing sandwich.  Viola!  It looks gourmet!  

Offline Flame

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »
Chicken enchiladas with a green sauce...with some homemade torilla chips and maybe some corn on the side.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
Chile burritos.  Green chile (pork), if one is curious.

Offline Flame

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2009, 03:02:09 PM »
Chile burritos.  Green chile (pork), if one is curious.

I loooooovvvvveeeeee green chile.  I make a huge batch a couple times a year.  But it take me on average of 3 days to get it cooked up.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »
Cold salad as the season ends.

Rigatoni cooked and cooled, or Cheese baby tortellini, [kids call them belly buttons]

2 bags frozen mixed vegetables, broccoli, collie flower bean mixture defrosted.

one can light pink kidney beans

one can garbanzo beans

What ever else you enjoy zucchini or yellow squash chopped fine, grape tomatoes quartered  canned mushrooms

One cup mayo or salad dressing and a bit less then half a cup ketchup

Mix everything up and refrigerate for about 4-6 hours

Now to make the shrimp, place cooked shrimp any size in a flat glass baking pan, add I bottle Italian dressing and one half bottle fat free Italian dressing, cover and refrigerate over night.

Place salad on large flat serving tray, drain shrimp and place around salad.

Coconut shrimp, in double broiler melt real salted butter, add 1/4 cup real maple syrup and half cup shredded coconut.   Cook for about 15 minutes or so.

Cool the mixture then roll cooked large shrimp in mixture set on rack to drain. Place coated shrimp in fridge for an hour or so then place under broiler in the stove for 4-5 minutes.

Scallops. if frozen defrost, then wrap in paper towells to absorb excess moisture.

In double broiler melt butter and Ritz crackers that have been crushed to a bread crumb consistency.  add a table spoon of Old Bay to the mixture.
   Place scallops in baking dish  squeeze a whole lemon over the top,cover with the cracker dressing and bake at 425 for about 15 minutes depending on size and kind of Scallops a bit longer for the biggies.

When I stuff lobster I use chicken stuffing mix with a bit of old Bay and a small amount of the Ritz cracker mix

Fried clams from scratch, buy the raw clams, place in a tub of cold water and add a cup or so of of corn flower or meal.   The corn meal will enter the clams as they soak and remove any sand or mud from their intestine's trick I was taught in Gloucester Mass, the bellies will be grit free.

I soak and change the water  and meal every 6 hours for at least 24 hours or longer. The bellies will be pink with no grit and delicious.  Oysters also have a delightfull fresh taste with this method.

Who was it said to never eat Calamari at a Brit.?

Offline Flame

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
I'm thinking fettucinni alfredo and broccoli tonight, but I know for sure I'm cooking up some fried chicken and making a potato salad to take for a picnice for the double header baseball game tomorrow...might make some brownies, too.

On edit:

Scratch the alfredo...I threw together some guacamole, so we are going to have that, with homemade chips, and hot dogs.   Still doing the chicken and potato salad, though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:24:24 PM by Flame »

Offline debk

« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
Had friends over to watch the game....

besides snicky-snacks....

made beef stroganoff with buttered dumpling noodles and Sister Schubert rolls and cherry crisp...

:yawn:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2009, 11:52:10 PM »
Had steak, mac and cheese, and salad tonight.

Tomorrow will be football food: wings, a few shrimp, tortilla chips with spinach/artichoke dip, maybe a bean/cheese dip.

Gotta spoil myself sometime.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »
This Sunday is for me and Mr. Vesta to cook.    He makes a huge pot of macaroni hamburger and tomatoes / peppers, onions and mushrooms enough  to feed a village.

I head for the store and get the sunday specials on vegetables that are about to spoil.
being fall there are tons of cheap veggies, zucinie , yellow squash, green beans what ever is in season.

Now for the hard work, I cook them up to half done, season them and freeze them for an hour or so.  Some times I have four pots a boiling at the time.

Once cold then I get out the Food Saver electric thingie and vacuum seal the suckers. 
These bags in the freezer last 6-8 months as any way else lasts 3 months if that.

Yes the bags are expensive about $10.00 a roll that depending on how you use them, but once opened the are turned inside out and cleaned in dishwasher or by hand and reusable.

Mr. Vesta can go to work with a small bag of say two hamburgers with a topping of of onions, green peppers and a hamburger roll and microwave a good meal.

Spaghetti sauce and fried chicken, you name it, when meat goes on sale stock up.

We all see the pre cooked food in closed in vaccum seal at the store---heck we can do the same at home and save 10 cents on the dollar.

Fall is here with apples. I steam mine for about 20 minutes then vacuum them and freeze for pies, the best idea I had was to spice them us with sugar and apple seasoning before I bagged them.

I admit I am a scrounger, when I find pies of any kind cut price at the store I buy all I can and vacuum them---a year later they they are fresh. Same as bread, muffins and cookies.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
Beef Dan Dan noodles and Sapporo.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi