Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325211 times)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #1725 on: September 14, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
I hear there is a sale on "Mexican Rabbit"TM

Patagonia ptarmigan ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #1726 on: September 15, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »
Scrounging the refrigerator for vittles since I was too ill to go shopping the last two days.  Bacon PB&J and french fries.

Not bad at all.  I prefer my bacon medium well but not burned.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #1727 on: September 15, 2015, 01:01:52 AM »
I had left-over spaghetti with a can of chili dumped on top. Not bad with some shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1728 on: September 15, 2015, 01:03:48 AM »
I had left-over spaghetti with a can of chili dumped on top. Not bad with some shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top.
I might try that tomorrow.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #1729 on: September 15, 2015, 01:08:30 AM »

Norm's Restaurant (do they even exist anymore?) used to have a dish called "Chili Size" which was exactly that.  I loved it!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #1730 on: September 15, 2015, 01:09:15 AM »
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #1731 on: September 15, 2015, 01:32:33 AM »
Norm's Restaurant (do they even exist anymore?) used to have a dish called "Chili Size" which was exactly that.  I loved it!

Steak~n~Shake still has it, but their spaghetti isn't too good. There's always leftover spaghetti, so I keep some canned chili around for the leftovers.

Offline Summer

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #1732 on: September 15, 2015, 04:30:23 PM »
Fried panko breaded pork chops
Fried potatoes
Milk gravy
Green beans

I love fried food for some reason.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #1733 on: September 15, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »
I might try that tomorrow.

My wife makes an excellent chili and spaghetti is one of the main ingredients.
I think it helps the taste by absorbing some of the spices and juices.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1734 on: September 18, 2015, 08:12:32 PM »
Fried potatoes
Milk gravy
Green beans

Sounds super delicious as a matter of fact, but I can feel my cholesterol rising just thinking about it. 
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #1735 on: September 18, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »
New England clam chowder, and shrimp al fredo.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #1736 on: September 18, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »
I enjoyed my night off: Smoked blue cheese burgers with smoked bacon.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #1737 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:46 PM »
Fried potatoes
Milk gravy
Green beans

That sounds good!
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1738 on: September 18, 2015, 11:02:15 PM »
I've got flank steak and fingerling potatoes for tomorrow.

Tonight is more of the same.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1739 on: September 19, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »
Memphis-style dry rub BBQ (ribs) and potato salad. 

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #1740 on: October 02, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »
Last night: Wagyu beef, grilled, and a cigar.

Tod Eland, a local wagyu and buffalo rancher, was my guest on "Straight Talk" last night. He set up a table and grill in front of the station, and grilled steaks.

I had a butterfly fillet and 1/4 of a Kansas City Strip. Cut it with my folder, and had a Veritas cigar afterward.

They were probably the best steaks I have ever eaten, and that's saying something!

The podcast of last night's show is on Stitcher. Tod was in the studio for the first hour. http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/eagleplay/straight-talk?refid=stpr
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #1741 on: October 04, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
Pork roast ala the crock pot. simmered 8 hours in cream of mushroom sup and its own juices. 2 potatoes diced up, and served on a bed of rice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1742 on: October 04, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
Shawarma-spiced roasted cauliflower and brown sugar pork chops.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #1743 on: October 05, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqf8NPosBSM[/youtube]

Baked tater.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #1744 on: October 30, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
Barbecued 1/2 chicken.
It was 1/2 filling.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1745 on: December 05, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »
Brown sugar/chili pepper chicken with a side of poutine.

Heinz homestyle savory beef gravy is pretty damn good for something out of a jar.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1746 on: December 13, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »
Medium-rare top round with rice and carrots

That thermocouple was the best $20 I've spent all week.  Came out perfect.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1747 on: December 15, 2015, 12:04:50 AM »
Roast beef hash :II:

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
« Reply #1748 on: December 17, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »
Next week, I'll be roasting a 30 day aged, Certified Angus Choice Boneless Rib Roast, for Christmas Dinner.  I have grilled dozens of aged Rib Eye Steaks, but this is my first attempt at a dry aged "Prime Rib".  I am aware that "prime" is the grade above Choice, but the aging process improves the meat, so I don't feel dishonest by calling it Prime Rib.
Once the meat is fully aged, I will cut off the amount I need to make for Dinner, and cut the remaining into steaks.  Vacuum sealed and frozen, since the decreased water in the beef makes it freeze better, without damage to the meat, form ice crystals.  I trim the outside, because the aging process puts a "skin" on it that must be removed.  Save it to make your Au Jus.  I season it with Salt and Pepper, and set in the roasting pan, on a rack.
I "Reverse Sear" the meat.  I set the oven for 200 degrees F, and when preheated, I place the roast inside, uncovered.  I cook it until my probe thermometer reads 125 F.  I remove it, take it out of the pan onto my cutting board.  I let it rest while I bring the Temp of the oven AND the roasting pan up to 500-550 F.  Place it back in the oven, to create the crust.  About ten minutes.  Since it already rested, it can be served immediately after searing.
I remove the roast, set the pan on the stove top, and deglaze it with 1 cup of Red Wine, and about a quart of beef stock I make with the trimmings I saved.  Cook it down to half volume, and serve on top, with a side of Horseradish aioli. 
I always reverse sear my roasts, but have never done a dry aged roast before.  Should be great.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Chris_

« Reply #1749 on: December 21, 2015, 12:37:58 AM »
Unless you care what your meat looks like, the reverse sear is pointless unless you like a charred exterior.  I could take it or leave it if I'm cooking indoors which is 99% of the time.  I like a tender, uniform medium-rare pink from top to bottom.  A slow roast @ 275º is just right after letting the meat sit under a healthy dose of salt and pepper.

I picked up a three pound sirloin tip on sale and cooked it to medium rare (130º).  It's a little chewy but tastes great.  I should have cooked it to 135º, so I dropped it back into a warm oven with the vegetables to sit for a while.

It should be done by the time I'm finished with my beer. :cheersmate:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:43:32 AM by Chris_ »