Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325338 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:17 PM »
I saw this on the Food Network... me want.

http://www.pinestatebiscuits.com/menu.html
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2009, 10:05:54 PM »

Damn, I could eat breakfast there everyday if they'd just throw some muscadine jelly up on the menu, too.

ETA: Gonna need some mayhaw jelly and red-eye gravy up there, too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:17:43 PM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »
Damn, I could eat breakfast there everyday if they'd just throw some muscadine jelly up on the menu, too.

It looks even better on TV.  There is a restaurant in Raleigh that does nothing but biscuits but they were always open at 6 and closed by 2, so I never got to go there.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2009, 12:18:05 AM »

On Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives?

I love watching that show!! :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2009, 06:55:53 AM »
Actually last night, and lunch today...homemade pizza.  I was gonna put pepperoni on it, but they went bad, so I had to settle for pancetta and mushrooms.  Memo to self--12 minutes at 450 degrees isn't enough.  Try 475 for crisper crust.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2009, 09:02:02 AM »

On Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives?

I love watching that show!! :drool:

I swear I feel like I'm consuming calories through my eyes when I watch that show  :cheersmate:

Offline debk

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2009, 11:44:33 AM »
I swear I feel like I'm consuming calories through my eyes when I watch that show  :cheersmate:

Guy Fieri has done a cookbook, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, with recipes from the different restaurants. I haven't seen it in the stores, but would like to get it. I'm waiting for it to show up at Sam's and be affordable.  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »
I've cribbed a couple good recipes just from watching the show.  One of them was for carne asada and another was for a really thick chilli where you mix ground beef in water to make a meat slurry as a base.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
I love his shows and his recipes.  An aside:  The sweatband thing?  He started that when he competed in the Next Food Network Star show.  He wears one all the time on TV as it is his special message to his son, that he loves him and is thinking of him when he is not at home. 

I would love to take a Diners, Drive In's and Dives road trip, but I doubt I could survive it.   
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
I love his shows and his recipes.  An aside:  The sweatband thing?  He started that when he competed in the Next Food Network Star show.  He wears one all the time on TV as it is his special message to his son, that he loves him and is thinking of him when he is not at home. 

I would love to take a Diners, Drive In's and Dives road trip, but I doubt I could survive it.   

You have to wonder what his cholesterol is like. He's probably one of those people who can eat horribly bad stuff and still have really low cholesterol.

I have noticed that he rarely eats sweet stuff though. You just know that some of these places have to have fabulous pies, cakes, etc.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
I'm thinking Teriyaki Game Hens. The wife bought some (.99 ea at the Gross Out, (Grocery Outlet) and I know she loves them soaked in "sauce" and done on the grill.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
Well, I'm headed to town now (circa 4:30 p.m. central time, 3:30 p.m. mountain time), to attend a "cream can feed," a fund-raiser for the library.

I have no idea what a "cream can feed" is, but I suppose I'm going to learn shortly.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2009, 06:40:29 AM »
Well, I'm headed to town now (circa 4:30 p.m. central time, 3:30 p.m. mountain time), to attend a "cream can feed," a fund-raiser for the library.

I have no idea what a "cream can feed" is, but I suppose I'm going to learn shortly.

So, what was it?  I've never heard of one!

Dinner yesterday for us was McDonalds, scarfed down between weight training and the baseball game.  Another 2 games tonight, but at least no weight training, so I should be able to have something ready to go when they get home from school...not sure what yet, though.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »
So, what was it?  I've never heard of one!

Sausages, potatoes, and corn on the cob.

I found out the name comes from the old pioneer days (in Nebraska, "pioneer" = circa 1880-1910) when large cooking utensils were scarce, if they could be had at all, and some event demanded a big feed.

One lined the inside of a dairy cream can with sweet corn, and putting sausages and potatoes in the center, brewed the whole bit over a fire.

It was done this way because nobody had big pots and kettles.

I had the corn-on-the-cob and a cornmeal muffin.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »
Sausages, potatoes, and corn on the cob.

I found out the name comes from the old pioneer days (in Nebraska, "pioneer" = circa 1880-1910) when large cooking utensils were scarce, if they could be had at all, and some event demanded a big feed.

One lined the inside of a dairy cream can with sweet corn, and putting sausages and potatoes in the center, brewed the whole bit over a fire.

It was done this way because nobody had big pots and kettles.

I had the corn-on-the-cob and a cornmeal muffin.

Hm.  Learn something new everyday.  I had never heard that before.  Cool!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »
Cottage Pie and rye bread.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »
Stuffed-crust pepperoni pizza and hot wings.

Offline debk

« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »
Stuffed pork chops with mushroom sauce and steamed broccoli with lemon butter....

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
Already done--beef stew and garlic bread.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Karin

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
Swedish meatballs in a crockpot with mashed potatoes.

This is a good thread to keep up for when you don't feel inspired. 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
Navy bean soup with a ham hock.  In the crock pot since early am. 

I want to make some homemade hot chocolate, but need to find a good recipe. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
Kirby's Steak House with the wife for Valentine's day.  Woo Hoo!!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
Leftover bbq brisket.  Yum.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »
Chicken and mozzarella ravioli, salad, and bread.  Anyone got a good sauce to put on the ravioli?

Offline debk

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »
Chicken and mozzarella ravioli, salad, and bread.  Anyone got a good sauce to put on the ravioli?

Saute diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and garlic in olive oil, til onions are soft. Add a can of undrained diced tomatoes. Add about a tsp of sugar, some basil, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on med-low for about 5 minutes.

You can add capers if you want, M doesn't like them so I don't add them.

It's sort of a bastardized Pomodoro sauce.