Author Topic: Definite IRONY Alert!!  (Read 490 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Definite IRONY Alert!!
« on: July 07, 2020, 08:27:13 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213714336

1 hr ago
Atticus
I am so sorry, but some here are apparently too thin-skinned to participate in the rough

and tumble back and forth that, in my experience, is an integral part of any political discussion board. Further, some seem to out of their way to take offense when, clearly, none was intended.

Currently, we have a thread---with 67 responses at last count---which insists that ANY use of the term "bitch" for any purpose and in any context is a vile sexist affront. I agree that it can be so used and is often so intended, but to criticize every use of it paints with way too broad a brush. Intent has to be considered before we decide we've been slighted or insulted. As the Virginian said to Trampas after he'd just called him a "son of a bitch" and as he calmly rested his revolver on the poker table "When you call me that, smile."

And, even IF the speaker intended to insult or offend, SO WHAT? That is on THEM. The board judges them accordingly as sexist or misogynistic or whatever. If possible, laugh at them and move on.

Personally, I have unintentionally offended people because I was ignorant. I now understand that people whose ancestors came from China or Japan or Korea or any of several adjoining countries are "Asian", not "Oriental". When I ignorantly used that term on DU years ago, I was quickly---and rightly---educated. I was embarrassed and believe my apology was just as quickly accepted.

With all we have on our plate right now, surely we can find a better way to use our time than---"complaining"--- about the terminology used by well-intentioned allies.

WOW!!  From the most ‘sensitive’ people on the planet!! 

cwydro
17. Oh crap, I missed that too, but that's so accepted here now...
I spend less and less time here. Things have changed greatly.

Sometimes I think this current administration gave fuel not only to the RW, but to those here who delighted in the sudden freedom to say "p---y." And suddenly had the freedom (apparently) to use gay slurs as long as they were directed at republicans, to call women b-----s if they are on the other side, and so on. 

In the last few days, I've also noticed the word "trash" used several times in reference to women. I don't care who these women are or whom they date, I find that offensive as hell.

On and on it goes. LOL

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Definite IRONY Alert!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:48:59 PM »
I sorta feel bad for the other liberals on DU. Now they have to dumb down their terms and the rules that apply to make it so simple that even the Atticus primitive can understand it.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »
Uh, "Asian" is no good substitute for "Oriental."

"Oriental" refers specifically to those of the Celestial, or yellow, race.

"Asian" can refer to anything from Turkish to Japanese, along with the Celestials.

I don't think Indians or Indonesians or Iranians are any texture resembling yellow.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:26:00 AM »
Uh, "Asian" is no good substitute for "Oriental."

"Oriental" refers specifically to those of the Celestial, or yellow, race.

"Asian" can refer to anything from Turkish to Japanese, along with the Celestials.

I don't think Indians or Indonesians or Iranians are any texture resembling yellow.

Just as "Hispanic" ridiculously lumps together Central American, South Americans (many of whom were at war with each other for a century or so), some Caribbeans, and the peoples of the Iberian Peninsula (who found Central and South Americans revolting, :rimshot: ).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.