Author Topic: Are debates pointless now? Drunken Irishman  (Read 1387 times)

Offline CC27

Are debates pointless now? Drunken Irishman
« on: November 21, 2019, 12:33:10 PM »
Drunken Irishman (30,374 posts)

Are debates pointless now?

It seems, the last two election cycles, debate performance has barely moved the needle. It's a far cry from the polls tightening after Obama's widely panned first debate in 2012 or Gore's sighs in 2000. Yet I think it's a valid question: do debates matter anymore?

I will be 100% transparent: I don't think BIden has done as bad as some think - certainly, I have seen far worse debate performances over the years. But he hasn't been as strong as I expected, or liked. Yet, on the whole, he continues to remain the front-runner, despite now, four (or is it five?) debate performances that have ranged from passable to critical.

In that span, other candidates have had standout moments in the debate. Harris in the first, which proved fleeting, Castro in one, Booker in a couple - and yet, their numbers, on the whole, have remained stagnant. Even Warren, off the heels of a strong debate a few debates ago, didn't see a monumental jump. And Biden, who is often panned, hasn't cratered.

Do we put too much stock into the idea that debates actually impact an election?

Think back 2016. How many people felt Hillary, in all three debates, wiped the floor with Trump? Certainly the polls did. At least the debate polls.

Overall, 52% who watched tonight's matchup thought Clinton did the best job, to the 39% that thought Trump did. That's a tighter margin than in the first two debates. After the first debate, 62% of those who watched said Clinton won, 27% Trump, followed by a 57% Clinton to 34% Trump margin for the town hall debate held October 9.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/politics/hillary-clinton-wins-third-presidential-debate-according-to-cnn-orc-poll/index.html

Hillary was the winner in all three debates by a sizable margin.

Yet her poll numbers actually started taking a turn after the last debate.

Only after the first, and only temporarily, did Hillary see a post-debate bounce.

So, what are we gaining from these debates and are we putting too much emphasis on them? I've leaned into the idea that debates do matter - but after watching Trump sniffle and stammer through three presidential debates in 2016, and watching Biden fail to stand out as a front-runner, I'm starting to believe the debates aren't going to change opinions all that much.

I guess we'll see. But it's really hard for me to get invested in the idea right now that any debate is going to be a game-changer.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1287354633

Another high post count DUmmie i don't know.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: Are debates pointless now? Drunken Irishman
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 12:44:05 PM »
Drunken Irishman (30,374 posts)

Are debates pointless now?
Yes.

So are the televised town hall meetings.

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:06:42 PM »
Yes.

So are the staged televised town hall meetings.

FIFY  :cheersmate:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
Another high post count DUmmie i don't know.

In DU past, this primitive went by the name Sean Reynolds. In 2004, his sig line was the flag of the USSR. This upset several other primitives, not because it was the Soviet flag, but because if outsiders were to see it being tolerated on the site, it could be used to reinforce a stereotype.

Yes, I remember way too much useless information.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline CC27

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:44:00 PM »
In DU past, this primitive went by the name Sean Reynolds. In 2004, his sig line was the flag of the USSR. This upset several other primitives, not because it was the Soviet flag, but because if outsiders were to see it being tolerated on the site, it could be used to reinforce a stereotype.

Yes, I remember way too much useless information.

Thanks for the info. This DUmmie goes way back huh?

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:10:34 PM »
Yes.

So are the staged televised town hall meetings.

As well as the staged impeachment hearings! :thatsright: :loser: :loser: :loser:

The debaters were pointless from the git go. All you have is a bunch of wanabees making promises that they don't have a chance in hell of producing. You need to rember their audience, a bunch of dummies! :thatsright:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:13:28 PM by Old n Grumpy »
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:39:32 PM »
Debates involving the current crop of democratic candidates are pointless.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
Breitbart's headline this morning reflected what I'd been assessing since one of the last ones: The Democrat Agreements… with a line crossing-out the word 'Debates'. 

Because so far they've basically been 2-hours of opinion-agreements between the mods and the candidates.

In those rare times when they did 'debate', it was with twisted facts and flawed polling.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »
The point of the debates, DUmmie, is to get comedy material about Slow Joe.  He was horrible last night, he couldn't even talk.  And let's not forget:

"We bring social workers into homes and parents to help them deal with how to raise their children. It's not want they don't want to help.  They don't — they don't know quite what to do.  Play the radio, make sure the television — excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night, the, the — make sure that kids hear words. A kid coming from a very poor school, a very poor background will hear 4 million words fewer spoken by the time they get there."

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 11:47:41 PM »
>Drunken Irishman (30,374 posts)

Tow out of three is a start...please check your retarded politics at the border.  TIA.