Author Topic: In 1981 ... I made $12.60 an hour ...  (Read 2492 times)

Offline zeitgeist

In 1981 ... I made $12.60 an hour ...
« on: September 30, 2019, 07:14:49 PM »

... as a stock clerk. 

DUmmies can never let go of their hatred (of Reagan) and will continue to lose elections because of it. 

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212527376

In 1981, I was a high school graduate working at a grocery store chain in Ohio. As a Stock Clerk I made $12.60 an hour, time-and-a-half for overtime, double-time for Sunday's and Holidays... and got 8 hours of pay for my birthday.

We also had a decent benefits and pension program.

We enjoyed those good wages and benefits, mostly because our major competitor, Kroger, was unionized and our company tried to closely match the Union compensation standards to stave off Union efforts at our company.

The calculator I've used tells me that $12.60 per hour, full time, plus the overtime we averaged, would equate to $96K per year in today's dollars.

You need to understand. This was a "choice" job for a man from the Midwest with a high school diploma. This was the type of job that could put you solidly into the Middle Class. You could raise a family, own a nice home, have a car, or two, and maybe afford to take a nice family vacation every year. Hell, you could even afford to take the family out to Sunday dinner a couple times a month, and do the occasional ice cream shop treat for the family.

Not only that, you had a decent pension that you could combine with Social Security, retire at a decent age and live a comfortable and modest life.

If you played your cards right and got some scholarship or financial aid help, you might even be able to send your kids to college.

I left that job to do what eventually became a 30 year Navy career. I managed to make it through the ranks and earned a commission as a Navy Mustang Officer.

I am now retired and enjoy the type of pension and medical benefits most Americans can only dream of.

But back to that grocery store job. Somewhere in the 1980s, this country lost its way.

Suddenly, it was the grocery store clerk or union worker that were the cause of all America's troubles. It was the millionaires and billionaires that were "suffering" under the yoke of Americans who thought their hard work "entitled" them to a modest living and the occasional dinner out with the family.

See, WE were the problem. Our demands for a modest slice of life were keeping all these "job creators" down.

Why should that stock clerk make a decent living? He never hired someone. His wages and buying power never did anything for America. It's the billionaires that need more. I mean seriously, how many yachts is that stock boy buying?

It seemed like overnight that America began to no longer value labor, we valued wealth.

If you wanted a modest life, get a second job. Drive a taxi. Hell, you have 120 hours a week where you're not working. Go get a second or third job bum!

You think working 40-50 hours a week entitles you to a pleasant night out at the IHOP with your family?

I understand that there is a bit more to it, but what we did 40 years ago screwed over an entire generation.

Now, to get that "comfort", you need to be a Walmart greeter at age 80.

There's something rotten here.

Yes something is rotten.  Bouncy fail.  ZZeerroo bongs.

And it only takes to the second response to go full DUmmy mode.

Star Member gopiscrap (19,385 posts)

2. it was ****ing Ronald Reagan

I found my self singing "So always look for the Union Fable, when you buy into a bouncy at the DUmp" (aLgore's mammy use to sing the tune to him while chopping tobacco)

dawg day (3,304 posts)

70. You know, many/most Boomer women never had "the good times"

It's not true that Boomers are rich. Some are, but then, so are some Gen Xers (the Google guys, innumerable hedge fund bros, JayZ), and some millennials (Zuckerberg, Serena's husband)

Now look at Boomer women, who unlike women who came of age after 1980 were limited in educational options and then legally restricted in career opportunities. (Thank you, boomer women, for paving the way for younger women to have some equal opportunity.) I, for example, took 7 years to graduate, because I had to keep dropping out to earn money for tuition. Graduated during the first modern great recession (1980)-- 15% unemployment in my state. Took a "woman's job" because that's the job women could get then without professional degrees. That is, I became a teacher. Never made much money, got laid off when my school system closed our school (white flight). Started teaching adjunct at a university. Well, I am now quite well-paid for that work. That is, I make about $18 an hour. I have to work till 68 to get my pension, which will then be $422 a month (and I'm LUCKY-- most women in my situation never got vested in a pension).

I don't want to whine, but seriously, I've got friends near retirement age who cannot get hired (age discrimination starts at about 45 now) at a good job they'd be good at, who have no pensions (many companies stopped giving pensions long ago, and anyway, every time you leave a job before vesting, you lose the pension). They might have chronic health issues-- almost everyone over 60 does-- and uncertain health insurance. I knew someone who died of breast cancer because she had crap insurance (Before ACA) and she was 9 months too young for Medicare.
And despite this, many of us are helping our GenY and GenZ kids with their bills, or letting them live rent-free, or sharing our car with them so they can get to work.

This idea that boomers got the last of the "good times"... really? Which boomers are you talking about? Not most of the ones I know. Yeah, when you're 60, you might have equity in your home and some $ in your retirement account, but that's mostly just a function of having worked for 40 years straight. But a whole lot of boomers do NOT have home equity and retirement funds, and many of us assume we'll work till we're 75 because we have to. We're the ones who are looking forward to 66, when we will be allowed to collect our $1100 a month social security AND still earn money from our job! We'll feel so rich!

Don't let the GOP try to pit generations against each other. There are rich people in every generation, but more poor people than that. And women and minorities are more likely to be on the poor side in every generation, and working class men also. That's where the solidarity should be, not confined to some arbitrary age range.
Sorry to go on so long, but I heard my own GenY child say something like this the day after I paid her rent, and I refrained then from taking the check back and ripping it up. Because love, you know. Give some back.

Holy smoke Vat Man we got us a live WOKE one on the line.

And, ding, ding, ding.  We have a bit of reality creep in.  (A computer operator back then might well have been a using a Wang!)
 :rofl:
Star Member Skittles (123,493 posts)

68. that seems like a lot of money for a grocery store in 1981

I was a computer operator and I made about 7 bucks an hour

The thread has plenty of side splitting humor going on.  Many mini bouncies and recovered memories. :bouncy:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline jukin

Re: In 1981 ... I made $12.60 an hour ...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:28:14 PM »
In 1982 with a BSME and having worked drafting and designing machines for four years, I was earning $12.50/hr exempt from overtime.  I was one of the best paid graduates of my class at that rate due to my experience.

THis is a lie among lies that a stupid DUchebag earned more than $7/hr as a clerk. A bad lie.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:39:50 PM »
I just got rehired at 60+

Maybe it is not age but rather the value you bring to the table.  I mean, what kind of skills does a grocery bagger need that cannot be done by anyone -- or robots (think self-checkout).

NO ONE in HS made $12 an hour at a grocery store in 1981. Minimum wage was $3.10 an hour and Kroger would have gone out of business paying 4X the minimum with full benefits for a bag boy.

Also Kroger was a regional store chain limited to West Virginia in the 1980s so it is highly unlikely the DUmmy had one in the neighborhood, much less worked at one.

Dummies are liars about then and about now.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
I was an Intermediate Engineering Technician in 1981. I doubt I made as much as $10/hour at that point, definitely under $15/hour. DU-member maxrandb is lying.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:51 PM »
BTW, this sentence is redundant, basically tossing out a term to sound impressive:

I managed to make it through the ranks and earned a commission as a Navy Mustang Officer.

"Mustang Officer" means someone who rose through enlisted ranks and became either a warrant or commissioned officer.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
BTW, this sentence is redundant, basically tossing out a term to sound impressive:

"Mustang Officer" means someone who rose through enlisted ranks and became either a warrant or commissioned officer.

Which means he never advanced beyond PFC.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
$12.60 an hour as a stock boy in 1982? :mental:

Didn't start working until 1986 and probably made $4.50 per hour at a department store.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »
First off, there is NO WAY IN HELL you made $12.50 an hour in 1981 as a 'stock boy'.

The rest is, of course, just as much bullshit as the first part.

Star Member gopiscrap (19,385 posts)

2. it was ****ing Ronald Reagan

:thatsright:

$3.35 an hour
On January 1st in 1981, President Jimmy Carter signed legislation raising the federal minimum wage from $2.30 to $3.35 an hour.

Star Member Martin Eden (9,199 posts)

51. Reagan Democrats bought into his con

... and got screwed by the Republican Party.

36 years later far too many blue collar types fell for a more obvious con man, and we're all getting screwed again.

:whatever:

Star Member GetRidOfThem (760 posts)

72. I agree, it was the Ronald Reagan era...

I remember when all of my kid friends were all of the sudden nuts about Anne Ryand, and were barfing all of that liberterian (sp?) crap out of their mouths. They all came across as pretentious, all knowing, and arrogant.

They are all liberals adn democrats now, even my best friend.

Something went seriously awry in that period. I will never forget...

****, you don't even know what it was, let alone forgetting...

Joe941 (2,167 posts)

3. Ronand Reagan started us down a path we are paying for even to this day.

DemocracyMouse (1,874 posts)

16. I remember wondering why anyone would vote for such a moral hazard. And do it again.

I've despised American voters since then. Wish I didn't.

Caliman73 (5,029 posts)

45. That is on purpose.

If people were steeped in the actual history of America rather than on the mythology, we would have movements like they do in France and England with people marching in droves to protest and voting in the 80% and 90% instead of just about 54%. I took accelerated and Advanced Placement history in high school but was still in for minor shock when I took history courses in college. I cannot imagine what they don't teach you in regular old history in grade school and high school.

who's been running education for the last 50 years?

Star Member Doc_Technical (2,776 posts)

10. Gen. X, Gen Y, etc.

are very angry (and rightly so) for the mess they have inherited.
Some of them direct their wrath toward individual old farts when it
was the system that was slowly grinding down the middle class.
All of us Boomers are, to some degree, complicit.
We caught the tail end of the "good times" and didn't concern ourselves
with the younger generations. It was a case of "I got mine...".

oh, that will go over well...

llmart (8,282 posts)

12. All of us boomers are NOT complicit!

I did not vote for Reagan. I actively campaigned against him and yes, I was in the minority on that. I was always willing to pay my taxes to support the older generation, aka the WWII generation as they aged. So did a lot of my friends and all of my family.

I despised Reagan. I despised how the GOP treated the less fortunate in our society.

Again, I have never voted for a Republican in my entire voting life and I'm 70 years old.

Stop blaming all boomers for this.

:rotf:

Star Member Blue_true (17,122 posts)

22. Too many boomers looked the other way.

I am a member of that generation. I remember vividly what the conduct of older boomers was like, it was all about them, **** society. Reagan appealed to them and they put and kept him in office as he broke shit.

:whatever:

Caliman73 (5,029 posts)

60. They were faced with a choice...

Jimmy Carter made the "Crisis of Confidence" speech in which he put a choice to America to do some introspection and change course toward becoming the nation of our ideals or to give in to consumerism and empty pleasures.

Reagan presented the "sunshine up your butt" message saying that America was the best and that we don't apologize for anything and that the troubles of the past were over without us really having to do anything about it. Oh, except that Black people on welfare (which to him and Republicans was like 100% of who was on welfare) were lazy and needed to be punished.

Naturally Americans went with the "we're the best" message and thus began the descent into what is going on today with Trump.

He did have a talent for being on camera, and a certain charisma.

Star Member cate94 (1,266 posts)

53. Not true.

The “greatest generation” voted for Reagan in droves, as did their parents. About 50 % of boomers got sucked in. I don’t really think it fair to categorize an entire generation for the Republican debacle. It was, and continues to be, a problem Republicans caused.

dawg day (3,313 posts)

70. You know, many/most Boomer women never had "the good times"

Last edited Mon Sep 30, 2019, 09:18 PM - Edit history (1)

It's not true that Boomers are rich. Some are, but then, so are some Gen Xers (the Google guys, innumerable hedge fund bros, JayZ), and some millennials (Zuckerberg, Serena's husband).

Now look at Boomer women, who unlike women who came of age after 1980 were limited in educational options and then legally restricted in career opportunities. (Thank you, boomer women, for paving the way for younger women to have some equal opportunity.) I, for example, took 7 years to graduate, because I had to keep dropping out to earn money for tuition. Graduated during the first modern great recession (1980)-- 15% unemployment in my state. Took a "woman's job" because that's the job women could get then without professional graduate degrees. That is, I became a teacher. Never made much money, got laid off when my school system closed our school (white flight). Started teaching adjunct at a university. Well, I am now quite well-paid for that work. That is, I make about $18 an hour. I have to work till 68 to get my pension, which will then be $422 a month (and I'm LUCKY-- most women in my situation never got vested in a pension).

I don't want to whine, but seriously, I've got friends near retirement age who cannot get hired (age discrimination starts at about 45 now) at a good job they'd be good at, who have no pensions (many companies stopped giving pensions long ago, and anyway, every time you leave a job before vesting, you lose the pension). They might have chronic health issues-- almost everyone over 60 does-- and uncertain health insurance. I knew someone who died of breast cancer because she had crap insurance (Before ACA) and she was 9 months too young for Medicare.
And despite this, many of us are helping our GenY and GenZ kids with their bills, or letting them live rent-free, or sharing our car with them so they can get to work.

This idea that boomers got the last of the "good times"... really? Which boomers are you talking about? Not most of the ones I know. Yeah, when you're 60, you might have equity in your home and some $ in your retirement account, but that's mostly just a function of having worked for 40 years straight. But a whole lot of boomers do NOT have home equity and retirement funds, and many of us assume we'll work till we're 75 because we have to. We're the ones who are looking forward to 66, when we will be allowed to collect our $1100 a month social security AND still earn money from our job! We'll feel so rich!

Don't let the GOP try to pit generations against each other. There are rich people in every generation, but more poor people than that. And women and minorities are more likely to be on the poor side in every generation, and working class men also. That's where the solidarity should be, not confined to some arbitrary age range.
Sorry to go on so long, but I heard my own GenY child say something like this the day after I paid her rent, and I refrained then from taking the check back and ripping it up. Because love, you know. Give some back.

:lol:

DENVERPOPS (388 posts)

96. I remember the time clearly.

In 1980 I began a Union apprenticeship to become an electrician. Several of my friends were Journeymen and were making 19.00 an hour and 26% fringe.....ie: health insurance for the entire family, holidays, two weeks of vacation, enough money to buy a house and send the kids thru college.

The PATCO trashing by Reagan set the tune of what was to be. That was like 1981? Four weeks later, the Denver Electrical Union and other trade unions were decimated with the contractors following Reagan's lead.......My friends, who had already "turned out" and were making respectable livings as a solid member of the middle class, suddenly, overnight, found themselves making 12.00 an hour with NO FRINGE.

Needless to say, I bailed out and pursued another career path..........

**** RONALD REAGAN, HW BUSH, CHENEY, RUMSFELD, WOLFOWITZ, PEARLE, ETC ETC ETC AND ALL THE REPUBLICANS SINCE.......

$19.00 an hour for starting electrician... when the minimum wage (in 1980) was $3.10 an hour. with benefits...  :whatever:

Star Member Blue_true (17,122 posts)

20. What happened?

Reagan.

He came in with a plan to viciously attack Unions at any chance. He managed to split off the more conservative ones like Truckers, Longshoremen, Firefighters and Police, while he attacked the rest with a vengeance. The country has been paying since.

Star Member erronis (6,791 posts)

25. For everyone blaming Reagan: He was an actor who knew how to read lines.

And pretend to be real.

Maxrandb - this is an excellent account of what happened to you and to many of us.

Some of us were lucky and moved forward/upwards. Others weren't.

The underlying cause of the rotten structure was pure capitalism, favoritism, increasing greed ---
and increasing sense of entitlement along with a stronger classism.

Reagan (and dump) were just figger-heads for the corruption that the kleptocrats have installed and enabled.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Johnny2X2X (5,628 posts)

46. Unreal, WOW!

http://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1981?amount=12.61

People go crazy about $15 an hour, well we used to pay Grocery Stock Clerks $35 an hour.

And you know what, white collar jobs aren't much different. I am engineer with some experience now, I am doing OK and am pleased with my salary. But when looking it up, entry level engineers were making double in 1981 (in 2019 dollars) than I am with 10 years of experience. And I am sure their benefit were better than mine are now.

They convinced the entire country that they don't deserve a decent living.

In 1981 I was working as a stock clerk at the small grocery in town. Working part-time (as I was still in High School) I maybe made $2.50 an hour. There was no ****ing way someone was making 4 times that much working as a stockist. As Joe Biden says, "Come on, Man!"

Star Member Baitball Blogger (32,350 posts)

55. I have no doubt that if Trump serves another term, he will find a way to dip in military pensions.

::)

Star Member MaryMagdaline (4,126 posts)

59. I realized our country was falling apart when a client told me

He had no health insurance. Don’t you work for Winn Dixie as a janitor? Yes but they outsourced the cleaning jobs and called us independent contractors. They work us 30 hours per week, but stretched over 7 days. We’re not considered full time and we no longer get benefits.

That’s when we lost our country. This was the early 90’s.

Ask yourself why they did that? Could it be they couldn't afford to hire full time employees? I won't why that happened?

Let's look at it this way;

I work as a paraeducator at the local elementary school at $11.50 an hour (part time = 39.5 hours a week plus extra time for assisting with sports events (paid out of a different funding line)). I have my Bachelors in Education and a Masters in History while working on a second Masters in Special Education. The school district has already told me they can't afford to bring me on as a full time teacher... I'm too far up the pay-grade education wise for them to make it affordable. The just hired a brand new out of college teacher for High School history at a third it would have cost them to hire me.
Why?

The Teacher's Unions have made it so you can't have a masters degree (for pay) affordable unless you are already tenured. The district doesn't really want teachers with lots of education because they can't afford it.

Now- I have a full pension via the military (retired O5 over 30) so, I am not hurting because I am unhireable. I enjoy working with the kids and as a para don't have to put up with the political shit the school is full of. They piss me off I go back to working at the local gas station for $14.00 an hour.

Star Member backtoblue (8,033 posts)

65. In 1980, a friend was making 38k a year as an embalmer

I worked at the same place.

When I started in 2005, my salary was....27k.
(College Degree plus 2 year apprenticeship and two board licensing exams)

My salary in 2016, as a general manager of a funeral home was 35k. (As a licensed embalmer and funeral director)

Granted, this is in a rural area. But, the cost of funerals has gone up in the extreme since the 80s.

Men still make more in this area. In the national funeral home book, listed next to certain establishments is a letter B. That means a black funeral service. (This business is still widely segregated)

Progress is slowly being made as more women enter the field, but...very very slow.

27K a year? Let's see, at full time (40 hours a week) is 2080 hours a year. That's just under $13.00 an hour for a trained mortician (College Degree plus 2 year apprenticeship and two board licensing exams) Not too shabby, really.

in 2016 you are pulling in $16.89 an hour. Eh... although you admit it's in a rural area... BUT- lets google search it...

According to wikimortician (yea... really...) the median salary is $55.800 in my home state. That's about $26.80 an hour (assuming you are punching the clock for a 40 hour week, 53 weeks a year, no time off)
https://www.wikiprofessional.org/wiki/mortician-salary/

Star Member Skittles (123,501 posts)

68. that seems like a lot of money for a grocery store in 1981

I was a computer operator and I made about 7 bucks an hour

:whistling:

Star Member maxrandb (9,335 posts)

85. It was Big Bear Groceries

I started part-time in 1976 as a cashier. I think that started at $5.50. Went full-time in 1978. Worked bread for a couple years, then went full-time stock clerk. Worked at the Carl Rd store off of 161 Dublin-Granville Rd.

So, I had been there for 5 years by the time I reached $12.60.

Funny thing. My birthday happens to be on a holiday. One time, my manager scheduled me to work on my birthday...he didn't know that. Anyway, I got double-time for working the holiday, 8 hours pay because it was a holiday, and 8 hours for birthday pay. So, for one 8 hour day, I got 32 hours of pay.

He never scheduled me for my birthday again, but I drank well that week.

all that, and you gave it up for the Navy? GTFOOH...

DENVERPOPS (388 posts)

106. Reagan was already

Regan was already suffering mentally when he was appointed president.

It was Daddy Bush, Cheney, Wolfowitz Pearle, Rumsfeld, etc etc etc etc They were all there during Reagan's years.
Then there for Daddy Bush's term. Many of Reagan's minions were convicted, Daddy Bush pardoned them and welcomed them back into his administration......
Then the GRAND SLAM, "W" was unconstitutionally appointed, suffering from serious mental deficiencies from years of alcohol and coke, and that same crowd ran his administration for yet another eight years.

BY THE WAY.......has anyone heard from Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al these past few years? Where are they hold up and who the hell do you think is directing alot of the crap that is being done by the Repub Senate behind Trump's smoke screen which diverts everyone's attention away from what they are doing/?????????????

One of the biggest travesties ever. Cheney, by guide lines, too old to get a heart transplant, and at the bottom of the list, got an immediate heart while some other good soul died.................

TimeToGo (973 posts)

82. $12.60 in 1981?

I mean --

No shit....

Star Member Mosby (10,354 posts)

98. In 1981 I made 3.35 per hour.

yup.

Star Member maxrandb (9,335 posts)

104. Big Bear was a Columbus Ohio institution

Folks would kill to work there.

I quit to join the Navy, but was delayed for a couple of months.

I got a part-time job at a thrift store. My job was to match the shoes that were donated and staple them together.

No shit, they would dump this huge bin of shoes out and I would find the matching pairs and staple them together.

Worst frickin job I ever had, and that includes being on a void Tiger Team as an E1 in the Navy.

Even that job paid me $5.75 an hour.

Too bad the Navy worked out for me... I had a future as a shoe sorter

A thrift store paid a part time shoe sorter almost twice the minimum wage... in 1981...

"Come on, Man!"
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »
$12.60.  That was about my take-home pay per day as an Army junior NCO in that era.  Single, so no additional allowances.

I believe the civilian minimum wage was around $2.40 or so then.  5X minimum wage as a stock boy is pretty hard to swallow.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
In 1982 with a BSME and having worked drafting and designing machines for four years, I was earning $12.50/hr exempt from overtime.  I was one of the best paid graduates of my class at that rate due to my experience.

THis is a lie among lies that a stupid DUchebag earned more than $7/hr as a clerk. A bad lie.

Unless it was Union. Which it then points out the problem with Unions........
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »
I was making 6.50/hr in 96 starting out. Guess I was getting robbed and didn't know it
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 06:22:07 AM »
In 1980 I worked at a local diner making $3.35/hour, but in the summer time I hauled hay like most of the young men in my town.  We were paid a nickle a bail to stack it in the barn.  On good days we hauled 2,000 bails and made $100 for the day.  If it was a good hay season you could make $100/day every day of the week.  We were RICH!  Until the weekend anyway.   :lmao:

I also worked various odd jobs for farmers.  Milking cows, building fence, mucking stalls ... all of that was for about $5.00/hour.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »
I find it spurious.

Minimum wage in 1981 was $3.35.
https://www.politico.com/story/2008/01/carter-raises-minimum-wage-jan-1-1981-007562

With the inflation calculator in August 2019 dollars, it is $9.88.
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=3.35&year1=198101&year2=201908
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 08:03:28 AM »
I started at $4.75 with full benefits in 1977. I felt like I hit lotto!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 08:38:34 AM »
I started at $4.75 with full benefits in 1977. I felt like I hit lotto!

You did! :rotf: My first job as a tech - in Arizona, not Silicon Valley - in 1977 was at $2.75; my first job as a tech in Silicon Valley was at $5.50, with which I could afford a 1-bedroom apartment in Mountain View (i.e. not a sketchy area like East Palo Alto was back then).

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
I just got rehired at 60+

Maybe it is not age but rather the value you bring to the table.  I mean, what kind of skills does a grocery bagger need that cannot be done by anyone -- or robots (think self-checkout).

NO ONE in HS made $12 an hour at a grocery store in 1981. Minimum wage was $3.10 an hour and Kroger would have gone out of business paying 4X the minimum with full benefits for a bag boy.

Also Kroger was a regional store chain limited to West Virginia in the 1980s so it is highly unlikely the DUmmy had one in the neighborhood, much less worked at one.

Dummies are liars about then and about now.

I thought they were out of Ohio?  Seem to recall it was Cincinatti? Too lazy to look it up.  I remember A&P was big around here at the time for a while.  How I got to drinking 8'o'clock coffee cause it was their house brand.  Still drink it today.  Best coffee there is.  Kroger did have several stores in the valley but most of the stores around here were local foodlands or IGA.

Oh and for the dummies general fund of information... Kroger is laying off 2300 mid level managers.   Saw it on the news tonite. So much for grocery store careers!   And my dad was a master electrician in the 80's and made around $14 per hour.  Ain't no way some stock boy was gonna make $12 an hour. 

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/kroger-cuts-hundreds-jobs-across-store-divisions
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 01:55:00 AM »
I thought they were out of Ohio?  Seem to recall it was Cincinatti? Too lazy to look it up.  I remember A&P was big around here at the time for a while.  How I got to drinking 8'o'clock coffee cause it was their house brand.  Still drink it today.  Best coffee there is.  Kroger did have several stores in the valley but most of the stores around here were local foodlands or IGA.

Oh and for the dummies general fund of information... Kroger is laying off 2300 mid level managers.   Saw it on the news tonite. So much for grocery store careers!   And my dad was a master electrician in the 80's and made around $14 per hour.  Ain't no way some stock boy was gonna make $12 an hour. 

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/kroger-cuts-hundreds-jobs-across-store-divisions
Originally from and headquarters in cincy. They've been on a massive buying spree taking over other groceries around the country. Heavily unionized too

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally from and headquarters in cincy. They've been on a massive buying spree taking over other groceries around the country. Heavily unionized too

Yeah I was thinking they was from there.  One of those little useless trivia factoids that crowd my brain.   I knew they was union... remember them being on strike back when I was a kid.  Reason why meat was always cheaper around here at the locally owned stores. No union butchers. 

I hate going into Krogers.... or Walmart for that matter.  I'll pay a little more and go to the local IGA just cause I can get in and out faster, don't have to fight the worthless fat scrunts standing in the middle of the aisle with their cell phone glued to their ear, and they have bag boys that bag the groceries and  carry the bags to my car and load it for me. Not to mention if the shelf is out of something I want, all I have to do is mention it to one of the employees and they go get it from the back for me. 

So I have to pay an extra $20 for a grocery load.  Ain't gonna break me up.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
Yeah I was thinking they was from there.  One of those little useless trivia factoids that crowd my brain.   I knew they was union... remember them being on strike back when I was a kid.  Reason why meat was always cheaper around here at the locally owned stores. No union butchers. 

I hate going into Krogers.... or Walmart for that matter.  I'll pay a little more and go to the local IGA just cause I can get in and out faster, don't have to fight the worthless fat scrunts standing in the middle of the aisle with their cell phone glued to their ear, and they have bag boys that bag the groceries and  carry the bags to my car and load it for me. Not to mention if the shelf is out of something I want, all I have to do is mention it to one of the employees and they go get it from the back for me. 

So I have to pay an extra $20 for a grocery load.  Ain't gonna break me up.
I grew up in the area so that's where the useless kroger/p&g/crosley info originates from.  We've been going to Kroger's for the past couple of months for the digital coupons. We saved 60 bucks on a $150 bill today.  If you haven't tried it, next time you're through, try that cincy chili

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 10:45:42 PM »

A&P or The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company was the Wal-Mart of its day. The largest grocery retailer for most of the 20th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Atlantic_%26_Pacific_Tea_Company
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 09:22:40 AM »
I just happen to have my personnel file from my first real job.  In 1981 I was making $4.11/hr working in a bank. Raised to $4.50 in Oct '81.   Now let me see last date I show during the Reagan years was Apr. "88 when I was up to $8.82/hr. That's not bad for 7 years.   $12.60/hr as a stock clerk in 1981 is such bullshit even Adam Schiff couldn't spit it out.  (I'm sure Adam schiff has spit a lot of things out.