Author Topic: Cats endangering global fish supply  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Cats endangering global fish supply
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
Cats endangering global fish supply

Deakin University scientist Dr Giovanni Turchini has discovered an estimated 2.48 million tonnes of forage fish - a limited biological resource - is consumed by the global cat food industry each year.

"What is also interesting is that, in Australia, pet cats are eating an estimated 13.7 kilograms of fish a year which far exceeds the Australian average (human) per capita fish and seafood consumption of around 11 kilograms.

Wild forage fish, which includes sardines, herrings and anchovies, are an important link in the marine food chain, as part of the diet of larger fish like tuna and swordfish.

Overfishing of marine resources is a concern to conservationists and the fishing industry.

(more...)

:mental:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: Cats endangering global fish supply
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:19:58 AM »
"What is also interesting is that, in Australia, pet cats are eating an estimated 13.7 kilograms of fish a year which far exceeds the Australian average (human) per capita fish and seafood consumption of around 11 kilograms.

Firstly, I say more people should feed their cats/ dogs on locally grown kangeroo meat. It's lean, healthy and My cat ate nothing but 'roo meat and a little dry food for 18 years. There is also an oversupply of kangeroos. Costs me about $1 / lb , and that's when it doesn't come free from a fresh roadkill.

Second, what they feed to cats, labeled as "fish", only barely qualifies for the category.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:26:41 AM »
Do they sell kangaroo meat in the grocery store?  There is only one store around here that sells lamb, and nobody sells deer.  Everything else is beef, chicken, or pork.  Yawn.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:29:27 AM »
Do they sell kangaroo meat in the grocery store?  There is only one store around here that sells lamb, and nobody sells deer.  Everything else is beef, chicken, or pork.  Yawn.

Yes. Most supermarkets carry human and animal grade kangeroo meat.

I don't eat it myself, it's got a really really strong flavor but is supposed to be very good, as meats go for the consumer.