Author Topic: When you say "Impeachment should happen now," what do you actually mean?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member StarfishSaver (4,690 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212485678

When you say "Impeachment should happen now," what do you actually mean?

This is a serious question. "Impeachment" seems to mean different things to different people. I'm trying to get a sense of what people hear mean when they say "The House should impeach now."

Do you mean the House should conduct an impeachment inquiry, that will likely lead to drafting and voting on Articles of Impeachment (the vote on the Articles being what actually impeaches him)?

Or do you mean the House should skip the inquiry and just draft and vote on Articles of Impeachment asap (for example, in the next week or two)?

:popcorn:

leftstreet (32,068 posts)

1. We don't write the rules. Just start with accusing the ****er n/t

leftstreet (32,068 posts)

4. Legislative branch has the power to impeach. I don't work there

I don't know or care about their procedures

If a prosecutor, cop, judge has evidence of a crime committed in my neighborhood, no one calls to ask what I think they should do next

7. If you don't know or care about their procedures, maybe you shouldn't be telling them what to do

You're right that they have the power to impeach, but that power is not unlimited. Among other things, they have to have enough votes and they don't have the votes right now.

Your argument is like saying you have the right to own a $10 million house. But if you don't have $10 million to purchase the house, you're not going to own that 10 million dollar house.

Star Member pnwmom (100,129 posts)

30. They have already told courts in multiple filings that they need access to documents

because they are pursuing investigations preliminary to an impeachment.

Why isn't that enough, in your view?

kentuck (93,360 posts)

3. If they can prove these latest charges..

They might feel that alone is enough evidence to impeach.

6. So, you think if there's there there, they should skip the inquiry and draft articles of impeachment

do you think they already have enough evidence in hand to forward or would they need more, e.g., the report, testimony from the whistleblower, or DNI, etc.

kentuck (93,360 posts)

8. I think that added to evidence already gathered would be enough to impeach. Yes.

Abuse of power, obstruction of justice, campaign finance violations. Emoluments violations.. Yes, that is enough to file Articles of impeachment.

The problem at this time is in getting enough Democrats to vote for either option, full investigation or impeachment?

kentuck (93,360 posts)

38. They are operating from a position of weakness.

Trump will do whatever he can get away with so long as no one shows they have the power to stop him.

137 Reps in the Congress support impeachment or 24 Reps in a House Committee does not scare him at all. It is a joke.

But 218 votes for a full investigation would get his attention. Because 218 votes can also impeach him.

It's a matter of investigating from a position of strength.

Star Member SlogginThroughIt (237 posts)

5. Hell I think some people mean that the house should remove him

Hell I think some people mean that the house should remove him from office without even going through the senate!

23. There's no need to "vote on starting articles of impeachment".

I don't think you understand what Articles of Impeachment are. They're the written allegations of the specific impeachable offenses the president has committed
they are drafted ans recommended outbid committee at the END of the inquiry, not at the beginning.

Once the Articles are drafted, they don't just sit there. The Committee votes to recommend them to the floor. If they're favorably voted out, they're sent to the floor for debate and vote. If the full House votes to approve one or more of the Articles, the president is impeached as soon as the vote is finished, solely by operation of that vote.

They've already started the process for draftinf and voting on Articles of Impeachment. That's what the inquiry is for - they're gathering evidence to use to draft the Articles.

The American people aren't going to suddenly support impeachment because the House shows it's "serious" by passing a House resolution authorizing the opening of an inquiry that's already started. And getting such a resolution before the inquiry begins would not only delay the inquiry further, it could destroy it since there aren't enough votes for it and if the vote loses that could be seen as the equivalent of the House voting against an inquiry. And then what happens? if you think an impeachment inquiry without a full house vote in support makes the inquiry less credible, imagine the lack of credibility in inquiry would have after The House votes to reject the opening of such an inquiry.

Star Member Hermit-The-Prog (8,206 posts)

29. full House inquiry now

Naturally, there are not enough votes for that at present time. Therefore, the various committees need to do some more tv time to educate the electorate so they can push their reps. Committees should be clear that they are conducting investigations toward impeachment.

And PLEASE, dispense with the idiotic 5 minute round-robin campaigning. Most Representatives are not experienced trial lawyers, which is what is needed to make the questioning coherent and on target.

:whistling:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: When you say "Impeachment should happen now," what do you actually mean?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 02:01:32 PM »
Have DUpipo successfully defined "Is"?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
kentuck (93,360 posts)

8. I think that added to evidence already gathered would be enough to impeach. Yes.

Abuse of power, obstruction of justice, campaign finance violations. Emoluments violations..

If it wasn't for the fact it would be political suicide, the Republicans could have impeached obozo for those very "crimes."  Except they are not "crimes."
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:30:58 PM »
95% of DUers believe that impeachment means the president is automatically removed from office and imprisioned. All it takes is a few minutes of reading their site to know that's what they believe. They don't even have the basic concepts of how our gov't works. They just want their way, that's all they know and understand, and whatever it takes to do it is acceptable to them. It's one of the reasons that reading their site continues to be funny even after almost 20 years.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:18 AM »
95% of DUers believe that impeachment means the president is automatically removed from office and imprisioned. All it takes is a few minutes of reading their site to know that's what they believe. They don't even have the basic concepts of how our gov't works. They just want their way, that's all they know and understand, and whatever it takes to do it is acceptable to them. It's one of the reasons that reading their site continues to be funny even after almost 20 years.

I would like to see that question put to them. "The house impeaches Trump, then what do you see happening?"

The resulting war of word would be very entertaining.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:02:22 AM »
I would like to see that question put to them. "The house impeaches Trump, then what do you see happening?"

The resulting war of word would be very entertaining.

They think that VP Pence would also go, giving queen nancy the throne since she is Speaker and 3rd in line,  who would then nominate hillary as her VP, then nancy would resign, making hillary POTUS who would then nominate nancy as her VP.  This is not made up shit.  I've seen it is their posts as recently as this weekend. 
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 03:16:03 AM »
Why can't the House just vote to send the Sergeant at Arms to arrest Pres. Trump? That would be so much quicker.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »

They think that VP Pence would also go, giving queen nancy the throne since she is Speaker and 3rd in line,  who would then nominate hillary as her VP, then nancy would resign, making hillary POTUS who would then nominate nancy as her VP.  This is not made up shit.  I've seen it is their posts as recently as this weekend.

I imagine a good number of the dummies believe that hillary will be installed (somehow!) as soon as President Trump is frog marched to the Hague to be convicted of... well really bad crimes and sentenced to a prison cell with George W. Bush.

If President Trump gets reelected next year I suspect the dummies will seriously go off the deep end.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »
I imagine a good number of the dummies believe that hillary will be installed (somehow!) as soon as President Trump is frog marched to the Hague to be convicted of... well really bad crimes and sentenced to a prison cell with George W. Bush.

If President Trump gets reelected next year I suspect the dummies will seriously go off the deep end.

They've been off the deep end for awhile now. Is there a deepER end?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe