Author Topic: I had brunch with a Republican friend today. bouncy tales...  (Read 1341 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I had brunch with a Republican friend today. bouncy tales...
« on: September 15, 2019, 06:28:04 PM »
Star Member smirkymonkey (44,395 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212466397

I had brunch with a Republican friend today.
First of all, he is more of a traditional "Charlie Baker" Republican and not a rabid, racist, hateful Donald Trump Republican. We rarely talk politics since he knows I am a Democrat and he respects that and vice versa. However we managed to get on the topic of Trump today and he admitted that he couldn't stand the guy or the sight of him, the sound of his voice, etc.

He seemed to despise him as much as any Democrat I know. I'm not sure why he is a Republican except that I suppose he was raised that way and always has been one, but he definitely hates Trump. I didn't ask him how he would vote, but it would not surprise me if he either didn't vote at all or voted for a Dem just to go against Trump. He is not someone who likes controversy or likes to argue. He can't stand what Trump is doing to this country.

I am hoping that there are a lot more sensible Republicans out there like him who just can't bear to bring themselves to vote for Trump in good conscience.

Just thought I would share that to let you know that not all Republicans are in the Trump camp.

:whatever: Just another 'never-trumper'

Star Member Laura PourMeADrink (28,505 posts)

1. Yes. Encounter people like him here in TX too. We could definitely capture their vote with a more moderate candidate.

too bad you don't have one.

Star Member Stuart G (23,139 posts)

3. I think you got an example of 20 percent of the Republicans out there.

3/4 will not abandon Trump. But 20 to 25 percent will. They will not vote, vote for the Democratic candidate, or vote for the Independent. This person represents the intelligent side of the Republican party. They will do what is correct no matter what. Kind of like "patriotism".

Star Member BigmanPigman (29,281 posts)

4. It is our task to get them to vote Dem instead of not voting at all.

:rotf:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline jukin

Re: I had brunch with a Republican friend today. bouncy tales...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
I am hoping that there are a lot more sensible Republicans out there like him who just can't bear to bring themselves to vote for Trump in good conscience.

Just thought I would share that to let you know that not all Republicans are in the Trump camp.

Of course, only 94% of republicans are enthusiastic supporters of President Trump.  Higher than any other republican president in modern history.  This is certainly a real story or.. maybe.. a complete load of bullshit.  I leave it to the individual reader to decide for themselves.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 08:34:18 PM »
I wonder if his friend's name in Mitt Romney. :naughty:

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »
Star Member smirkymonkey (44,395 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212466397

I had brunch with a Republican friend today.
First of all, he is more of a traditional "Charlie Baker" Republican and not a rabid, racist, hateful Donald Trump Republican.

Damn it! If this is true then President Trump may lose Massachusetts.   :mad:  BTW Charlie baker is anything but a Republican.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer