Author Topic: Clinton, Obama engage in bitter debate  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Clinton, Obama engage in bitter debate
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »
Clinton, Obama engage in bitter debate

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Democratic presidential rivals Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama accused each other of repeatedly and deliberately distorting the truth for political gain Monday night in a highly personal, finger-wagging debate that ranged from the war in Iraq to Bill Clinton's role in the campaign.
ADVERTISEMENT

Obama told the former first lady he was helping unemployed workers on the streets of Chicago when "you were a corporate lawyer sitting on the board at Wal-Mart."

Moments later, Clinton said that she was fighting against misguided Republican policies "when you were practicing law and representing your contributor ... in his slum landlord business in inner city Chicago."

Obama seemed particularly irritated at the former president, whom he accused in absentia of uttering a series of distortions to aid his wife's presidential effort.

"I'm here. He's not," she snapped.

"Well, I can't tell who I'm running against sometimes," Obama countered.

The two rivals, joined by former Sen. John Edwards, debated at close quarters five days before the South Carolina primary — and 15 days before the equivalent of a nationwide primary across 20 states that will go a long way toward settling the battle for the party's nomination.

Hillary Clinton was the national front-runner for months in the race, but Obama won the kickoff Iowa caucuses three weeks ago, knocking her off-stride. She recovered quickly, winning the New Hampshire primary in an upset, and on Saturday, won the popular vote in the Nevada caucuses while Obama won one more delegate than she.

The Democratic electorate in South Carolina is expected to be roughly 50 percent black, an evident advantage for Obama in a historic race that matches a black man against a woman.

Even in the superheated atmosphere of the primary, the statements and exchanges between Clinton and Obama were unusually acrimonious. The debate came as the two campaigns continued to complain about dirty politics and disenfranchisement of voters in last Saturday's Nevada caucuses.

Obama suggested the Clintons were both practicing the kind of political tactics that had alienated voters.

"There was a set of assertions made by Senator Clinton as well as her husband that are not factually accurate," Obama said. "I think that part of what people are looking for right now is someone who is going to solve problems and not resort to the same typical politics that we've seen in Washington."

Clinton countered: "I believe your record and what you say should matter."

Edwards, who badly trails his two rivals, tried to stay above the fray while pleading for equal time.

"Are there three people in this debate, not two?" he asked.

More

the debate was pretty entertaining until it turned into a friggin' campfire singalong in the last  hour.   :kumbaya:

Offline Lauri

Re: Clinton, Obama engage in bitter debate
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:57:19 AM »
dang, did they get all lovey dovey again?

i liked the fighting... Hillary showing her claws was a bit entertaining. Edwards just trying to be noticed... Obama trying not to hit the 'girl' ...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:29:34 AM »

i liked the fighting... Hillary showing her claws was a bit entertaining. Edwards just trying to be noticed... Obama trying not to hit the 'girl' ...

I honestly think the BarackStar may blow his stack before it's all over with.  If he gets the nomination, he will absolutely lose it at some point.  but nothing was funnier than the princess flashing his girly parts and whining about not getting enough attention.

Offline jendf

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »
They played that clip on the radio this morning. It was a hoot. I thought Obama's dig about how he couldn't tell who he was running against was very good.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »
 :popcorn:

I'm looking foward to more of this... :catfight:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »
They played that clip on the radio this morning. It was a hoot. I thought Obama's dig about how he couldn't tell who he was running against was very good.

this is from the guy that trotted oprah winfrey out of the Hindenburg hangar to campaign for him?  convenient freaking memory. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »

this is from the guy that trotted oprah winfrey out of the Hindenburg hangar to campaign for him?  convenient freaking memory. 
Popcorn all around.  This is the funniest thing I have seen for quite some time.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »

Popcorn all around.  This is the funniest thing I have seen for quite some time.

the funny part is that the morning of the debate, he was in the same church as Bildo.  But instead of taking issue with HIM right then, he waited until that night, and whined to the chick.  how manly.

ya think bildo woulda beat him with a sub sandwich or something?

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:42:38 PM »

I honestly think the BarackStar may blow his stack before it's all over with.  If he gets the nomination, he will absolutely lose it at some point.  but nothing was funnier than the princess flashing his girly parts and whining about not getting enough attention.

hasnt anyone told the Breck Girl his time is up yet?   geez, at least Fred knows when to man up and step aside.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »

hasnt anyone told the Breck Girl his time is up yet?   geez, at least Fred knows when to man up and step aside.

he has absolutely nothing to do besides run for president.  his life is completely empty if he stops doing this.   actually, it was whispered that he and hildebeast had a private conversation after the debate last night.  probably deciding what job he gets in the clinton admin. if he bails out now and endorses her.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:28:54 PM »

he has absolutely nothing to do besides run for president.  his life is completely empty if he stops doing this.   actually, it was whispered that he and hildebeast had a private conversation after the debate last night.  probably deciding what job he gets in the clinton admin. if he bails out now and endorses her.

well, now that's a scary thought...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:30:10 PM »

well, now that's a scary thought...

ambassador to metrosexia?  minister of hair?