Author Topic: There has never been a Cat 6 hurricane  (Read 146639 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
There has never been a Cat 6 hurricane
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
Star Member milestogo (6,347 posts)

There has never been a Cat 6 hurricane, which would be winds above 200mph
If Dorian reaches that strength, will Republicans start to believe in climate change?

Ooo... let me play!

"There has never been a CAT 19 hurricane! If Dorian reaches that strength will Democrats believe God really does hate the Florida Gators?"

Star Member Lochloosa (12,868 posts)

6. There has never been a Cat 6 cause it doesn't exist.

SS scale only goes to 5

Camille was close though
 :naughty:

Polybius (1,514 posts)

14. It doesn't exist because it never happened, at least since we've been keeping records

Theoretically, a hurricane can reach 200 mph. Wilma did 185. I see no reason why 200 wouldn't be possible.

Edit: Patricia did 215, yikes. So if it happened today it would probably be called a category 6.

Star Member at140 (2,610 posts)

28. WOW way back in 1979...40 years ago!

Climate change was already in place 40 years ago!

The climate change which scares me most is onset of another ice age, which occurs at regular intervals based on geological data. Hopefully not for another couple of thousand years.

:rotf:

Star Member Chemisse (28,468 posts)

29. Climate change denying? We've always had strong hurricanes on occasion.

They are just more common now - with climate change in action - because there is more heat in the water and atmosphere.

If you're not scared of the climate change we are facing right now, you're not paying attention.

:lmao:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: There has never been a Cat 6 hurricane
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 02:43:54 PM »
Star Member at140 (2,610 posts)

28. WOW way back in 1979...40 years ago!

Climate change was already in place 40 years ago!

The climate change which scares me most is onset of another ice age, which occurs at regular intervals based on geological data. Hopefully not for another couple of thousand years.

What makes more sense, that climate change goes back that far or that, for the most part, everything is pretty much as it was 40 years ago.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 03:05:07 PM »
Star Member milestogo (6,347 posts)

There has never been a Cat 6 hurricane, which would be winds above 200mph
If Dorian reaches that strength, will Republicans start to believe in climate change?

The use of anemometers in meteorology dates, at most, to the mid 19th Century. So Star Member milestogo's premise demonstrates Star Member milestogo's ignorance. But then again, (s)he probably doesn't know that thermometers were an 18th Century invention and that the modern worldwide network of weather is a creation of the 20th Century, both of which make "climate change" or "global warming" claims absurd. Because, courtesy of WW1 and WW2, we probably have, at best, very fragmentary worldwide  temperature records until around 1950.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:25:06 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »
One wonders why they limit the discussion to hurricanes, rather than including tropical cyclones (typhoons for example) in other parts of the world, some of which are much stronger than the strongest hurricane - in large part because they have a much longer travel over warm water to gather strength and size. The world is a big place, DUmmies - widen your horizons.
This too shall pass.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »
I noticed several posts where they were hoping the hurricane would smack Florida and teach those global warming deniers, even kill a whole bunch of them. But those type of posts are so commonplace on Skin's island I don't even bother quoting them anymore.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
Looks like it's going to turn north, well off-shore and run up the coast to Georgia and points north.   :rotf:  Bask in the Karma, DU beetches.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 10:05:07 PM »
A couple of questions regarding climate change for the DUmmies....

1. How long have we been keeping records on the climate/weather? Answer: Since 1880 or 139 years.
2. How old is planet Earth? Answer: Approximately 4.5 billion years old, +/- 50 million years.

So, 139 divided by 4.5 billion is 0.0000000309%. How in the hell can one truthfully tell me that this is the warmest planet earth has ever been with that small of a percentage being used as data?

3. What is the normal temperature of planet Earth supposed to be?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:51:16 PM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 11:08:55 AM »
It seems like over the last few years every time a hurricane nears cat 5 some DUer has to ask about a cat 6. And every time someone asks someone else has to point out that there is no such thing. Long term memory seems to be a problem at DU.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
No you don't understand.  Mine goes to eleven, ELEVEN!!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »

Blind squirrel meet nut...
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
Looks like it's going to turn north, well off-shore and run up the coast to Georgia and points north.   :rotf:  Bask in the Karma, DU beetches.

Unfortunately us dumb red necks in eastern NC are only about 60% rebuilt from Florence. Looking like another 5 days until here so any guess will suffice. The bad thing about Cat 5 storms is after a few days they’re still packing the large surges and heavy rains.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
Last time I checked, a cat 5 was the "11" of hurricane strength...
Wind speeds of 157+...
I think 200 is covered in that category...
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »

1. How long have we been keeping records on the climate/weather? Answer: Since 1880 or 139 years.
2. How old is planet Earth? Answer: Approximately 4.5 billion years old, +/- 50 million years.

So, 139 divided by 4.5 billion is 0.0000000309%. How in the hell can one truthfully tell me that this is the warmest planet earth has ever been with that small of a percentage being used as data?

Whatever possesses you to attach NORMAL in any form, fashion or manner to a Dummyrat?!  I'll attribute it to an exuberant optimism!
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.