Author Topic: Jerry Nadler condemns 'vile' cartoon shared by Rashida Tlaib along with Trump's  (Read 6455 times)

Offline Mary Ann

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142358790
brooklynite (53,533 posts)

Jerry Nadler condemns 'vile' cartoon shared by Rashida Tlaib along with Trump's 'disloyal' Jews jibe

Source: New York Daily News

Rep. Jerry Nadler slammed President Trump’s remark about Jew being “disloyal” to Israel. But he also condemned fellow Democratic Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib for sharing a cartoon he claims has a “vile underlying message."

“The growing anti-Semitism in our political dialogue is repugnant,” Nadler (D-Manhattan) said.

...snip...

The senior Democratic lawmaker framed his statement as a condemnation of anti-Semitism on both sides of the political spectrum during a time that support for Israel becomes an issue in the American partisan divide.

Trump’s comments have been condemned as anti-Semitic by the Anti-Defamation League because they suggest Jews have or should have a loyalty to Israel along with the U.S.

The cartoon in question is much less clear-cut. It depicts Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu holding his hand over Tlaib’s mouth and Trump doing the same to Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), in a comment on Israel’s decision to bar the two lawmakers from visiting the occupied West Bank.

Batya Ungar-Sargon

@bungarsargon
 Oof. Looks like both Rep. Omar and Rep. Tlaib shared this awful Carlos Latuff cartoon in Instagram stories yesterday. In 2006, Latuff came in second in Iran's International Holocaust Cartoon Contest, which is a thing that exists, in case you thought the TL couldn't get any worse.

View image on Twitter
9:25 PM - Aug 17, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
4,719 people are talking about this

Read more: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-jerry-nadler-trump-rashida-tlaib-cartoon-20190823-nr6wvxu425gazhrsgw44dxrwya-story.html
Amazingly, none of the DUpipo see anything wrong with the cartoon!

BeyondGeography (33,557 posts)

2. So it's the cartoonist, not the cartoon?

Unless I’m missing something here.

Star Member pnwmom (99,725 posts)

3. So is the issue the use of the Star of David? I'm pretty sure I've seen Christian crosses

in cartoons.

And the two men are trying to silence the women on the subject of Israel, which is true.

Star Member MontanaMama (9,040 posts)

4. Maybe I'm missing something...

This cartoon is “vile”?

Star Member elleng (91,746 posts)

5. Ditto

Star Member MontanaMama (9,040 posts)

7. And why would Jerry be

bent out of shape over it?

Star Member elleng (91,746 posts)

8. I agree.

Maybe he's had coffee, and I haven't??? Don't get it.

jayfish (7,381 posts)

12. We're "Both-Siding" Ourselves Now.

Good grief.

Initech (76,684 posts)

10. It's vile to conservative snowflakes who can't stand it if someone doesn't kiss Trump's ass 100%.

DallasNE (5,407 posts)

11. "Vile Underlying Message"?

What is it? It is way too esoteric for me to get it so I need someone to explain it to me.
The Perpetually Offended can find racism and dog whistles in any disagreement with Snarky McDouchebag's policies, but can't see the anti-semitism that is right under their noses.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Latuff is a major kook. He used to post his nonsense at SF Indymedia where I used to hang out with daveman before I found CU in 2004 and invited him over.

Latuff was anti-Jew and pro-Palestine via any means necessary even then. The Indymedia nuts would eat it up. People here would probably recognize a bunch of his “I hate Jews cartoons” from the St. Corrie of the Pancake days.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

Nadler needs to realize that his moral equivalence tight rope act won't get Tlaib's and Omar's and AOC's target off his back.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.