Author Topic: Our current government is illegitimate  (Read 7335 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Our current government is illegitimate
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
Star Member onecaliberal (14,041 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212370568

Our current government is illegitimate, it is not an administration

It is a regime, they are dismantling every institution and destroying everything that does not benefit trump and his cronies.

This IS 1930’s Germany. We are the people looking away.

:whatever:

Star Member uponit7771 (57,627 posts)

1. K&R, Those who push back on your discription hasn't studied how the German gov fell apart in that

... one year.

Ours fell apart when Red Don said he's going to cheat to get elected.

Star Member CrispyQ (26,572 posts)

2. I'm sad to say I agree. We are the Good Germans.

Good Germans is a term referring to German citizens during and after World War II who claimed not to have supported the Nazi regime, but remained silent and did not resist in a meaningful way. The term further denotes those who claimed ignorance of the Holocaust and German war crimes. Wikipedia

Everyone of us sitting at a keyboard own part of this. But honestly, I don't have a clue what to do, other than to call Congress. And then what? Leave a message? The biggest protest in our history was the woman's march in 2017, right after the orange asshole was inaugurated. Marches since have not been nearly as large. And in the end, what good did it do? Six months after that march, my non-political friends were still NOT calling their members of Congress to complain about trying to ax the ACA.

on edit: The dems better have a Plan B cuz he'll either win by cheating or he'll question the results if he loses. He's not leaving office if he can be convicted. Yesterday I said that I give the country a 25% chance of surviving Trump/Barr/McConnell & someone responded that I was being too optimistic.

Star Member Hermit-The-Prog (7,625 posts)

25. you are engaging in global conversations

The billionaire-owned M$M is part of the problem. People sitting at keyboards are routing around that problem, fact-checking those who are failing to be journalists and pointing other people to the real journalists still risking their lives to report truth.

Marches alone will not reach enough people. Big marches get tv's attention, but that is fleeting. The online conversations extend, expand and correct tv's influence.

More people are awake because of multi-prong efforts to make them notice.

Finally! A mission for the DU's basement commandos!

The Liberal Lion (1,146 posts)

6. I agree and have thought the same since day one

Last edited Sun Aug 11, 2019, 04:58 PM - Edit history (1)

We have decisions to make. And I don't think they are pleasant. We can either bend the knee and submit, or we can stand shoulder to shoulder and do what must be done.

They never have the courage to say what they really mean. They want a violent revolution to overthrow the country.

BigOleDummy (736 posts)

7. THIS veteran is ready to stand arm in arm on any barricades we can get up. Tired of this shit and its getting worse day by day.

:yawn:

triron (13,809 posts)

8. What exactly must be done?

go on... say what you really want to say...

10. Mass resistance protest. General strike. Something: what we're doing now is standing y watching

Them destroy us.

:lmao:

12. I've been a big advocate of crippling the economy as the only peaceful and therefore true means of ending this nightmare. General strike is one part of the strategy, a complete stoppage of usage of consumer credit is another. I'm personally not one to shy away from violence, but I know for many this is a bridge too far and in fact I don't believe it would be effective for achieving the goal sought. It has it's place, but there are better methods available to us at this point that doesn't involve that. Disruption of the economy on our terms instead of theirs could be exactly the solution we need. True, that choice would bring hardship, but as it stands we are heading down a road whose terminus is intolerable.

rwsanders (1,206 posts)

32. My thought has always been focused boycotts.

Maybe we can't go without buying certain items, if you need a car you need it, if you need food, etc.
The idea is that we pick a corporation and relentlessly run them into the ground and then someone will take notice. If we organize we can pick them off one by one.

NO ONE DAMNED DIME DAY!!!!

HipChick (23,221 posts)

41. Yup..

We should be in the streets..

Star Member sharedvalues (6,217 posts)

11. Join local Indivisible or Swing Left

Wear Dem t shirts in public.
Or Dem bumper stickers.
Public shows of your opinion matter.

Donate to a local Dem.
Go canvass.
Register voters.
Tell proprietors with Fox on to drop Fox immediately.

Join ACLU. Indivisible. Listen to Pod Save America.

Call your Senators and Rep each week.

Lots of stuff to do.

Do all that and not one person will throw eggs at you, or milkshakes, or suckerpunch you as you walk down the street, or hit you with a bike lock, or peppers pray you, or scream in your face at a restaurant.......   :bird:

13. What must be done is toppling this regime.

If that is for you voting, working on the campaign trail, and anything dealing with getting a Democrat into the White House AND clearing these Nazis out of our government then that is the how you shall help. I think when the time comes for you to act you will do so and you will do it for the greater good

they are just to much of cowards to come out and say it...

triron (13,809 posts)

16. Did that work in Nazi Germany?

:bird:

Star Member Hermit-The-Prog (7,625 posts)

26. this is not pre-Nazi Germany

We still have journalists and we can still talk across this country. The oligarchs do not yet control all communications.

Break the bubble of disinformation -- enlighten somebody.

Nope, sorry- your side is already labeling any Trump supporter as NAZIs, so you don't get to walk back the crazy.

Star Member Dan (1,391 posts)

14. Actually there is one major difference (that I suspect is true)

The military probably doesn’t support the POS POTUS, unlike Germany 1933-1945.

The Germany military was pretty white, unlike the US military that reflects America.

Dumb ass probably hasn’t considered that.

And if he thinks the White Nationalist will take arms to take over the country to keep his ass in power, then I suggest that those that want to make money, invest in body bags - because the White Nationalist will cease to exist as a quasi-stupid militant force.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

so much stupidity in one post I don't even know where to start...

triron (13,809 posts)

17. Hoeful thinking but too many 'loyalists'.

yeah... you should have a really big purge of all non-POC officers in the military... that will work...  :thatsright:

18. Nope, not so

Now the administrative branches might have a lot of Trumpies (but I doubt it because he has really shit on the military leadership), but the combat arms branches, a large percentage are POC.

And definitely lots of African Americans and Hispanic Americans - not even counting POC from the Islands, and I strongly and bigly suspect that there is no love loss for the POS in the White House.

oh, really...

https://www.cfr.org/article/demographics-us-military

The United States ended the draft for military service in 1973, transitioning to the all-volunteer force that exists today. At the time, the active component of the military comprised 2.2 million men and women. Now, this group comprises just under 1.29 million, or less than 0.5 percent of the U.S. population.

Among enlisted recruits, 43 percent of men and 56 percent of women are Hispanic or a racial minority.
 (In 2015, 44% of all Americans ages 18 to 44 were racial or ethnic minorities.)

Blacks made up 17% of the DOD active-duty military – somewhat higher than their share of the U.S. population ages 18 to 44 (13%).
12% of all active-duty personnel were Hispanic
57% of all ARMY soldiers are white.

Roughly 20% of all MOS's are “Combat Arms”.

22% of African-American soldiers in the US Army hold combat arms positions.
The US Army has the largest number of combat specialty personnel with 109,625.
you can do the math yourself...

triron (13,809 posts)

19. POC?

I fail to see how high ranking officers likely to entertain what you seem to suggest. A military coup?

only 9% of officers are 'POC'

20. No, not a coup

I just don’t think that the military would entertain a situation such as the German army did with Hitler via 1933 - 1945.

The German military was on board with Hitler due to the issues associated with WWI and the treaty post WWI.

Here in America today, I just don’t see the military establishment (the corporation) as committed to our current POS. My post was stating that even if some of the military establishment wanted to support some type of crazy issue that Trump might want (to maintain power etc.,), there are just too many soldiers that wouldn’t buy into that agenda.

I mean think about it, Trump’s hate against POC - etc., and then to suggest that he could turn that military into a weapon against the population of the U.S. to keep control, that day won’t happen.

When Gerald Ford was president back in 1975, (as an example) there was discussions about the U.S. military going into parts of Africa to fight. The reason was that Cuba had sent doctors and soldiers there to assist some of the countries (it was a long time ago). Anyway, the discussion was that the U.S. would send troops to fight the Cubans and the African nations that they were supporting. I remember that the African American soldiers (not all to be sure) said that if we were going to fight in Africa, then we might as well start fighting here on the U.S. bases, cause that shit wasn’t going to happen.

So, Gerald Ford hadn’t said such negative hateful things toward the minorities as Trump as done, so if we weren’t going to do stupid shit for Ford, why would young (minority) soldiers today direct actions against minorities here in the U.S.?

Having said that, to stay in power and avoid being held accountable for his actions, I wouldn’t put anything beyond Trump, to include trying to incite some type of civil war.

Now, a military coup - well, I think if it was proven that Trump is working with the Russian (Putin) to undermine the U.S., then the military by definition is required to defend the nation/Constitution not the president.

Does that sort of explain what I was trying to say?

not really...

OldBaldy1701E (29 posts)

21. Yep, you nailed it...

However, to repair this debacle requires two things that I just feel the majority of Americans will not do in the way that will be required to fix things. One, sacrifice... real sacrifice. And two, effort. I mean real effort, not just sitting and complaining at a computer. (Irony and hypocisry accepted). To fix this is to ask the population to go without luxury items, to possibly start growing your own food in defiance of HOA and local ordinance bullshiat, etc. As long as the majority still buys extraneous crap and defiantly exclaims that they 'neeeeeed it', as long as the majority of people accept anything that the establishment or social media tells them without question, and as long as I keep hearing people say, "Well, that's just how it is these days.", I can tell you nothing is going to change. To change things is to cast aspersions on the very heart of US existence. Namely, capitalism. Good luck even addressing that. You will be branded a 'communist' and have to move to protect your family. Just for suggesting that capitalism is at the heart of the problem. But, it is THE problem as far as I am concerned, and it is the reason our government and our society are now in shambles and little more than a feudal empire...

...dancing around the words...

BigDemVoter (3,001 posts)

27. They took office by criminal measures.

They should ALL be put on trial for treason.

triron (13,809 posts)

37. The media is mass complicit in this treason. So is most of congress.

Star Member Trueblue Texan (404 posts)

30. I don't know what else to do, do you?

If you do, I wish you'd tell the rest of us because we'd be glad to do it. I get sick of being criticized because we're not doing enough. We will do what we can! Just a little leadership would help instead of criticism!

31. A good demonstration of what we coukd be doing is Puerto Rico.

Children are dying in cages, black and brown bodies are being hunted on the streets of America. The government is owned by the capitalist. It’s getting more dire by the moment.

:panic:

triron (13,809 posts)

42. I still get very angry whenever the media pundits refer to Trump as "President". He is a ****ing

POS traitor.

:loser:

kentuck (92,761 posts)

46. Donald Trump is not a legitimate President...

His friendship with Putin and his refusal to stop foreign interference in our elections, and the matter of several indictments for Russian operatives, only solidifies his Russian connections. I am convinced he did not win the last election legally or honorably.

::)

elocs (20,410 posts)

47. The sad thing is that Trump should never have become president.

We have been so desperate to blame anybody else other than ourselves--the Russians, the Republicans, Comey--but on election day too many of us on the Left either chose not to vote, voted for a 3rd party, or even voted for Trump here in Wisconsin, and in Michigan, and Pennsylvania that it allowed Trump to prevail.
Sure Clinton got more popular votes but we all know that's not how are presidents are elected.
And I'm sure that if Clinton had won an electoral victory but lost the popular vote we would have heard crickets from the Left.

But if we learn from our mistakes in 2016 and realize that come election day no matter what the Russians have done or the Republicans have done the only thing left within our power to do is to get out and vote for the candidate of the Democratic Party.
Trump will still do mischief between now and then, and in the months after he is defeated but before he leaves office, however that is accomplished, Trump will do even worse things so we need to be prepared.

:popcorn: ... oh... this will be good!!!

triron (13,809 posts)

49. No. It was vote manipulation by Repukes and Russians, etc. Voter registrations and vote tabulations

****ed with. Hillary still even won the popular vote by a very large margin.

:rotf:

elocs (20,410 posts)

51. Hillary won a big popular vote margin in one state--California.

Besides, you know as well as I do that our presidents are not elected by popular vote.
It's silly to claim that voters on the Left who did not vote or voted 3rd party had no impact on the election because they certainly did in Wisconsin.
But blaming the Clinton loss all on outside forces just makes us victims and not responsible for choices we made. But if playing the helpless victim makes you feel better, then go for it.

::) you can't use truth and logic on DU! good thing I've alerted on you, you obvious RW-Troll!

Life_Long_Democrat (52 posts)

53. Watching a documentary on Hitler and Germany in the 30s

Within 2 years of becoming Chancellor of Germany he outlawed all other political parties and all labor unions. He took over the media, eliminating the free press, imprisoned or executed political rivals and forced the military to take a personal loyalty oath to him. Has any of that happened here?

another RW-Troll... don't worry. I alerted!  :rotf:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Our current government is illegitimate
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 05:40:20 AM »
These are people who know they're going to lose next year.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:31 AM »
The rantings of impotent rage.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:58:17 AM »
we can stand shoulder to shoulder

Easier targets that way.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:05:40 AM »
Quote from:
Dan

When Gerald Ford was president back in 1975, (as an example) there was discussions about the U.S. military going into parts of Africa to fight. The reason was that Cuba had sent doctors and soldiers there to assist some of the countries (it was a long time ago). Anyway, the discussion was that the U.S. would send troops to fight the Cubans and the African nations that they were supporting. I remember that the African American soldiers (not all to be sure) said that if we were going to fight in Africa, then we might as well start fighting here on the U.S. bases, cause that shit wasn’t going to happen.

The US was not going to send troops into Angola. Black troops never said "we aren't fighting Africans". All made up and no primitive says a word.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »
elocs (20,410 posts)

51. Hillary won a big popular vote margin in one state--California.

Besides, you know as well as I do that our presidents are not elected by popular vote.
It's silly to claim that voters on the Left who did not vote or voted 3rd party had no impact on the election because they certainly did in Wisconsin.
But blaming the Clinton loss all on outside forces just makes us victims and not responsible for choices we made.
The democrat motto in a nutshell.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:47:20 AM »

What do they call 100 DUmmys lined up shoulder to shoulder?

A wind tunnel.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »
Crazy Bob is no longer on DU and they still taking digs at him. Able-ists.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
Our current government is illegitimate

Yes, they're bastards, but I like these bastards better than the bastards they replaced or the vast herd of bastards that want to take over from them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »
This really is like 1930s Germany.  Remember when all of the Jews were sneaking across the border into Germany so they could get free food and healthcare in the concentration camps? And then be released with court dates that they never even bothered to show up for?

(Me neither.)