Author Topic: Remember the Circus?  (Read 7957 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Remember the Circus?
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
For me, the circus is all about music and how it accompanies the acts that are ongoing. The last of the big circuses went belly-up a few years ago (a damned shame, but pretty much unavoidable), but that doesn't mean the music dies with it.

I am a member of Windjammers Unlimited, a collection of musicians who enjoy playing the circus music of old. (Most of the members are pretty damned old, I might add - I'm probably a young pup at age 62.)

Anyway, I'm in the middle of the summer meet of Windjammers Unlimited, this time in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

It's nonstop music and definitely a chop-buster, but hey -- you would not believe what the Windjammers of old did on a regular basis. Chops of steel. Circus arrives in town, unlimbers and does a parade. Sets up the Big Top and other stuff, and it's go, go, go right on up till it's time to tear it all down again and move to the next venue. That's the way it was in the 1920s and 1930s.

Back when recorded music was pretty much a waste of time.

Now we've got auto-tune.

Grrrrrrrrr.......

https://www.circusmusic.org/

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Remember the Circus?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 08:38:50 AM »
Sounds like a good time!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »
Well, Barnum & Bailey may be gone but we still have the 2020 dimocrat presidential nominations to watch.  :lmao: :lmao:

Complete with several clown cars and an unending show of acts of stupidity! :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 06:32:49 AM »
Well, Barnum & Bailey may be gone but we still have the 2020 dimocrat presidential nominations to watch.  :lmao: :lmao:

Complete with several clown cars and an unending show of acts of stupidity! :rotf: :rotf:

Roger that on the 3-ring circus. Between AOC's lunacy, the blatant anti-semitism of Ilhan Omar, and the racism of Pressley and Tlaib, there is no shortage of crap to look at. I'm glad I'm only paying their salaries versus having to pay admission to see their center-ring stuff.

OTOH, should The Squad be herded into the center ring by the elephant handler, it would be interesting to see one of them take a dump right on the Ringmaster, who is none other than Nancy Pelousy.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.