Author Topic: Why are so many black Americans Christians?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Why are so many black Americans Christians?
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212244145
Nuggets (481 posts)

It seems odd to me that they would embrace the religious system that white people used to justify enslaving them.

This is hilarious. Low post DUmmy asks a question and manages to offend just about everyone on DU.

treestar (73,525 posts)

3. This was alerted

I get it, but I get your question too.

There are Christians in Africa and Asia too.

Whatever religion offers people, Christianity may do a good job of providing.
Nuggets (481 posts)

9. True.

I was specifically wanting to focus on the US.

There are many ways to be spiritual without embracing this specific religion. Why?
Is it a form of Stockholm syndrome?
onenote (32,562 posts)

20. So you think Obama was a victim of Stockholm Syndrome? Martin Luther King Jr. too?

Wow.
Star Member former9thward (21,404 posts)

5. What an insulting question.

Reply to this post
Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to former9thward (Reply #5)Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:51 PM
Cirque du So-What (13,012 posts)

7. I'm not certain...

but it seems designed to insult African-Americans AND Christians.
Reply to this post

Response to Nuggets (Original post)Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:53 PM
Star Member GulfCoast66 (6,875 posts)

8. Jesus, that's insulting.

Keep in mind, Christian belief was the driving force of the Abolition movement. And the civil rights movement. The Reverend Martin Luther King. The movement organized in the black church.

Google and watch President Obama speaking (and singing) at Mother Immanuel AME Church. It will answer your question. The most powerful presidential moment of my life.

It not like Christianity has a monopoly on slavery.

And I’m a freethinker.
Reply to this post
Response to GulfCoast66 (Reply #8)Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:59 PM
Star Member Hekate (55,571 posts)

15. Thank you for saying this much better than I was about to. The OP is pursuing an arrogant...

...and insulting line of reasoning.

And I'm a Pagan.

Offline ChuckJ

Re: Why are so many black Americans Christians?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »
Response to Nuggets (Original post)Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:53 PM
Star Member GulfCoast66 (6,875 posts)

8. Jesus, that's insulting.

Keep in mind, Christian belief was the driving force of the Abolition movement. And the civil rights movement. The Reverend Martin Luther King. The movement organized in the black church.

Google and watch President Obama speaking (and singing) at Mother Immanuel AME Church. It will answer your question. The most powerful presidential moment of my life.

It not like Christianity has a monopoly on slavery.

And I’m a freethinker.
Reply to this post

So now Christianity is NOT bad? I can't keep up with what is "good" and "bad" with these loons.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Delmar

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »
Why hasn't Rock Head weighed in on this thread?  He fancies himself such an expert on religion.

"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »
If DU-folk cared to understand, learning about Abolitionists might be a decent start. And from the Brit side of the Atlantic, maybe learn about William Wilberforce.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:26:21 PM »
Nuggets (481 posts)

It seems odd to me that they would embrace the religious system that white people used to justify enslaving them.

:racist: :waisis: :racista:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 07:00:32 AM »
GulfCoast66 will likely be tombstoned for his excellent, accurate rebuttal of the brainless OP. Or, at the very least, Rockhead will probably report him for it.

btw,
1. The slave owners the OP is referring to used a heavily warped and perverted interpretation of Scripture to justify slavery. At the services their slaves went to, the masters made sure the pastors focused almost exclusively on topics that could be twisted into implying that the slaves should stay humble and loyal to their masters, while pretty much forbidding any mention of the book of Exodus (You know, about how God used Moses to help free the Hebrews that were enslaved in Egypt).
2. Another reason why the slaves embraced Christianity so regularly was because they (Understandably) liked the concept that their masters would have to stand before God's judgment just as they themselves would, and would answer for their cruelty.
3. The African slave trade was first started by Muslims! They started it long before the Europeans got into it, and they kept it up long after the Europeans and Americans abolished it.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 08:10:41 AM »
It is true that those who transported slaves from Africa to South America, the Caribbean islands, and North America came from nations that professed Christianity. How many professed more than that, well, Gallup wasn't around back then, so no one really knows. Of course, such facts matter not at all to DU's and other Christian-Haters.

Similarly, the South American colonies/countries, Caribbean islands, and North America colonies/countries in which slave owners lived professed Christianity. The percentage of slave owners who actually professed Christianity is probably also unknown, but certainly many did. Some who professed Christianity also twisted it to support slavery; others disliked slavery, but did not see a way forward to free their slaves with those freed slaves able to function fully in society and without themselves being bankrupted.

That's a bigger, more complex, picture than LPC Noob Nuggets would acknowledge. But there are parties to the slavery process that the aptly self-named Nuggets would be loath to acknowledge, the slavers who sold African blacks into slavery. A large percentage (majority?) of these were either animist rival African tribes or Muslim African tribes and Muslim Arabs. IOW, if slaves reflected on the religions of those who enslaved them, none were particularly humane.

IOW: animists enslaved and reveled in their plunder; Islam justified taking and keeping slaves; "Christians" ranged from nominals who professed and lived nothing to those who understood that New Testament instructions that (then) new converts treat their slaves as potential or actual brothers and sisters and that slaves work diligently while exploring and using ways to gain their freedom as basically anti-slavery. How many slaves had the time and energy and range of experience to think that deeply is an unknown, of course. In the US, at least, there were many churches and faithful Christians who offered kindnesses and love, and slaves wanted that and wanted to be part of that.

I think, though, that self-named LPC Noob Nuggets doesn't really want to delve into the complexity of ~400 years of the history of blacks and Christians in what is now the US. (S)He just hates Christians and is frustrated that blacks don't perceive Christians as (s)he does.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 08:21:09 AM »
So now Christianity is NOT bad? I can't keep up with what is "good" and "bad" with these loons.

It's outcome-oriented reasoning, not a solid rational construction from the base to the tip of the pyramid.  Their support for Black Christians is rooted in the fact that Black Protestant churches are a cornerstone Democrat base voter demographics.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »

While that particular DUer made a great refutation to the OP, I see what you mean. Here's my explanation:
Sometimes, ultra- liberals go with what I like to call the "Barack Obama view" of Christianity, which is basically "Christianity is good, but conservatives aren't really Christian due to their conservative views." Other times, ultra- liberals go with what I like to call the "Bill Maher/ Rockhead" view of Christianity, which is "Christianity is stupid, all Christians everywhere in the world are a bunch of brainless fundies who practice snake handling." Some ultra- leftists stick to just one of those two views, others switch back and forth depending on the circumstances.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 10:11:13 AM »

3. The African slave trade was first started by Muslims! They started it long before the Europeans got into it, and they kept it up long after the Europeans and Americans abolished it.
They are still doing it.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 05:32:36 PM »
onenote (32,562 posts)

20. So you think Obama was a victim of Stockholm Syndrome?

Wow.

I just noticed that this DUmmie got confused. It thought the original DUmmie was talking about Muslims who CLAIM they are Christians.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe