Author Topic: DUer "Fly by night" is the subject of award-winning documentary  (Read 1239 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member Tanuki (8,588 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212205635

DUer "Fly by night" is the subject of award-winning documentary "The Blueberry Farmer"
He hasn't posted lately but many here will remember Bernie Ellis, a.k.a. DUer "Fly by night." He is the subject of a documentary that is making the rounds of film festivals and has picked up some awards along the way.

https://theblueberryfarmer.com/about-blueberry-farmer-film/

...."Nashville press once called him “Tennessee’s favorite felon.” He has endeared himself to hundreds of people in his community over the years that have come to know his story and love him. When he asked people he knew to step forward and write a letter on his behalf for his court case to restore citizenship rights, hundreds did so including the owner of the local town diner and the county sheriff.

Bernie was bush hogging a pasture in 2002 when he noticed a helicopter circling above him.
When it lowered to just over the treetops in a tight circle, he knew his life was about to change forever.

Trace View farm was raided by the police that day and over one hundred mostly small cannabis plants were confiscated as evidence by the police. For almost 15 years, Bernie had been growing medical marijuana. Besides using it himself for his own ailments, including a degenerative spine and fibromyalgia, he was providing it for free to terminal AIDS and Cancer patients that he knew or who were referred to him.

Turns out, Bernie knew a lot of them. He worked, before his arrest, for the Tennessee Department of Health and then the CDC, setting up Tennessee’s AIDS program during the height of the epidemic. He knew a lot of people that were dying and suffering and he also knew pot could help them.

After he admitted growing medical cannabis, Bernie went from earning over $100,000 per year in his field to living on food stamps unable to find work with an arrest record.

Through it all, Bernie stayed sober after battling his own addiction to alcohol and instead of giving up, he reinvented himself as an organic blueberry farmer. As you enjoy a meal at many of Nashville’s fine dining establishments this summer, Bernie’s blueberries will probably be on the dessert menu."....(more)

He grew weed and made more than $100,000 a year by giving it away for free...  :lmao:

Star Member hlthe2b (69,402 posts)

1. I've been wondering about him. This is wonderful. I hope he might check in with us!

He's one of our best!

Star Member handmade34 (16,850 posts)

6. thanks...

I wrote a letter to the President on his behalf

Star Member MagickMuffin (9,216 posts)

8. I look forward to Fly by Night's true to life documentary

Sometimes when people do the right thing which turns into the wrong thing because of the wrong reasons then you know you are on the right side of karma.

to Bernie, glad you bounced back from the trauma you had to endure!!!

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: DUer "Fly by night" is the subject of award-winning documentary
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »
But we're supposed to obey all of their laws.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:01:22 AM »
We've already seen this movie

Deplorable since 2016

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
Star Member Tanuki (8,588 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212205635

DUer "Fly by night" is the subject of award-winning documentary "The Blueberry Farmer"
He hasn't posted lately but many here will remember Bernie Ellis, a.k.a. DUer "Fly by night." He is the subject of a documentary that is making the rounds of film festivals and has picked up some awards along the way.

https://theblueberryfarmer.com/about-blueberry-farmer-film/

...."Nashville press once called him “Tennessee’s favorite felon.” He has endeared himself to hundreds of people in his community over the years that have come to know his story and love him. When he asked people he knew to step forward and write a letter on his behalf for his court case to restore citizenship rights, hundreds did so including the owner of the local town diner and the county sheriff.

Bernie was bush hogging a pasture in 2002 when he noticed a helicopter circling above him.
When it lowered to just over the treetops in a tight circle, he knew his life was about to change forever.

Trace View farm was raided by the police that day and over one hundred mostly small cannabis plants were confiscated as evidence by the police. For almost 15 years, Bernie had been growing medical marijuana.
Reads like a back story to a character on Justified. 
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:06:13 AM »
Star Member handmade34 (16,850 posts)

6. thanks...

I wrote a letter to the President on his behalf

Wait,  I thought Trump was not your President...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Online 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »
They really need to start calling it magic MJ in place of the medical MJ as it sold to be the cure for everything. 

What exactly is the difference between medical MJ and regular over the counter MJ and why do they need both?
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
They really need to start calling it magic MJ in place of the medical MJ as it sold to be the cure for everything. 

What exactly is the difference between medical MJ and regular over the counter MJ and why do they need both?
I'd imagine thc levels would be the big difference
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)