Author Topic: Survivor's Guilt .... Bouncy  (Read 2575 times)

Offline CC27

Survivor's Guilt .... Bouncy
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:55:02 AM »
marble falls (23,142 posts)

Survivor's Guilt ....

I am fortunate, I am blessed. I have single payer, national health care. It is an "unintended consequence" of my wanting to be able to express my antiwar opinions at the dinner table by enlisting in Navy in in Feb '72 two years after my exposure to the lottery.

When I got out of the navy, I got a job at the Brecksville VA hospital. The first day home from work I asked my wife that no matter what that I would never end up in a VA hospital.

Insurance was no problem: at that time every employer offered some sort of health insurance.

Years later, not so much.

I was at fifty-five suddenly without insurance and my wife started the paperwork for me to go to VA. I went because I do know the power dynamics in our home unit. And I knew she'd see how bad it was and that would be the end of it.

In 2012 I had a minor, ignorable sort of symptom of something. No pain, but an occasional dribble of blood in my urine. As soon as I had noticed it several times, I went to VA. It turned out to be bladder cancer.

Five surgeries to remove tumors, one partial excision of my colon, two rounds of BCG (which has a very high rate of success but not for me) and a biopsy later: I still have that cancer.

The biopsy determined that the cancer is not going to be responsive to either chemo or radiation but hadn't broached the wall of the badder.

The theory is that if the cancer is only in the bladder then .....

And so here I am going for at least one more very serious surgery tomorrow.

What my mixed feeling are about are: there's been a lot of money spent to keep me going (has to be close to a million) and I do worry about how many small children could be in a program for wellness with what VA has spent on on this one old man. About how many people much more productive than me are dying over inability to come up with insurance premiums and I am living because I wanted to eat Turkey at Thanksgiving and tell my dad how wrong he was about the war. About a President who is operating contrary to the interests of the majority and even against the interests of his average joe MAGA hat supporter.

No matter what happens there's a terrible killing problem with healthcare in this country but not for me.

Survivor's guilt.

See you all in a week or so.

MFalls.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212198406

You're a POS. 

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
Re: Survivor's Guilt .... Bouncy
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »
Sure does seem to be a lot of them dying lately.

Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
Oh now, bobsal from Baby DU, marble falls from Skins's island, is signaling his virtue by expressing his "survivor's guilt."

Survivor guilt is a mental condition that occurs when a person believes they have done something wrong by surviving a traumatic event when others did not, often feeling self-guilt.

I could never understand this myself, and alas it appears prominent among survivors of combat in wars.

Despite that most like to think otherwise, life is random chance, outside of our control.

One just rolls with the punches.

Of course the opposite has happened too, but in this life there's been many times I've been extraordinarily lucky while just about everybody else hasn't.  Since such luck was just by chance, I never felt guilty about it.

To me, "survivor's guilt" would be valid only in those instances where one purposely and deliberately manipulates things that save one's own life at the cost of others' lives.

Purposely and deliberately.

If it happens by sheer chance or accident, no need for any sense of guilt.

But some people, primitives, want to feel badly no matter what.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
Should I have survivor's guilt? I've had a benign brain tumor removed and a heart attack with angioplasty and stent deployment, both mostly paid by the insurance from my employer. Ditto three children being born, my wife also having a benign brain tumor removed, etc.. And if we think a doctor and/or hospital is providing inadequate care, we can go elsewhere without issues. Unlike at some VA hospitals, we have never waited for more than 2 weeks for major (or minor) tests or surgery.

Doubtless some VA hospitals provide great care - and others not so much - but it isn't unique when it is excellent.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »

Silver lining in every cloud.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
This DUmmie says the VA is no good, the dem party line is (if you ask Sen. Tammy Baldwin among others) there is nothing wrong with the VA. Which is it?

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »

Silver lining in every cloud.

not really.  They still keep on voting even after they die...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »
Where I work we all have health insurance. Most of us do.

One of my co-workers age 55 had a medical emergency at work. I'm the company EMT so I was involved. Did what I was trained to do and at the time we loaded him in the ambulance he was still talking but he tanked on the way to the hospital.

I have heard rumors that he had a complete blockage and thus suffered a infarction. It's a real shame and I feel terrible but my co-worker would have had a much better chance of survival if he didn't smoke and if he had visited his primary care doc every now and then. This would have been picked up and possibly treated but now it's too late.

My point is there are no guarantees in life and yes we are responsible to take advantage of the health care we are entitled to. Of course it was his decision to neglect his health but in the end some things are out of our hands. An individual can be 100% healthy on the way to work and be dead the next minute because some jerk on crack ran a stop sign.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »
Should I have survivor's guilt? I've had a benign brain tumor removed and a heart attack with angioplasty and stent deployment, both mostly paid by the insurance from my employer. Ditto three children being born, my wife also having a benign brain tumor removed, etc.. And if we think a doctor and/or hospital is providing inadequate care, we can go elsewhere without issues. Unlike at some VA hospitals, we have never waited for more than 2 weeks for major (or minor) tests or surgery.

Doubtless some VA hospitals provide great care - and others not so much - but it isn't unique when it is excellent.

Unfortunately it isn't unique when they are incompetent boobs either. Stay away from the Huntington WV VA. They tried 3 times to kill my dad and were so incompetent they could even do that right.  Then they tried to cut off his foot cause he had a shattered ankle. 

I am not a fan of the VA.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
While I feel bad for this dummy only a fool would think that a retired individual on social security and medicare or one using the VA health care system will get top care. Like they really think that the main concern of the government run health care system is to dish out expensive long term treatment to this poor soul who is collecting, no longer paying in.

The government wants you off entitlements and dead as soon and young as possible and a great way to do that is let some dude who brags about the high quality government care he gets for free or low cost keep just a few of those cancer cells. Hope he has some life insurance but probably doesn't.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »
Oh now, bobsal from Baby DU, marble falls from Skins's island, is signaling his virtue by expressing his "survivor's guilt."

I could never understand this myself, and alas it appears prominent among survivors of combat in wars.

Despite that most like to think otherwise, life is random chance, outside of our control.

One just rolls with the punches.

Of course the opposite has happened too, but in this life there's been many times I've been extraordinarily lucky while just about everybody else hasn't.  Since such luck was just by chance, I never felt guilty about it.

To me, "survivor's guilt" would be valid only in those instances where one purposely and deliberately manipulates things that save one's own life at the cost of others' lives.

Purposely and deliberately.

If it happens by sheer chance or accident, no need for any sense of guilt.

But some people, primitives, want to feel badly no matter what.

I share your view, but then I'm not an emo trainwreck who exalts empathy above everything else.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »

Not enough
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 02:25:35 PM »
Not enough

Despite not having Government-run-healthcare-for all. Weird.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 04:26:08 PM »

Obviously Trump's fault.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 07:05:23 AM »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
The Smug is strong in this one.