Author Topic: Corporations Suddenly Realize That Once-Coveted Millennials Are A "Screwed Gener  (Read 338631 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Corporations Suddenly Realize That Once-Coveted Millennials Are A "Screwed Generation"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-12/corporations-realize-once-coveted-millennials-are-screwed-generation

Right now, millennials represent the largest single consumer group in the United States: they number 83.1 million and they represent a full quarter of the US population. When it comes to corporations targeting consumers, millennials are at the top of the list for those obvious reasons, according to a new article by Adweek. But now, generational expert Alexis Abramson, who has 25 years experience in the field, is claiming that corporations aren’t getting the ROI that they anticipated from millennials.

“There was a great deal of interest [in millennials], but there wasn’t as much due diligence around that group," she said. "We’ve generalized them as a certain type of person, [but] the reality is the rubber is meeting the road. Companies are starting to understand, 'Wow, we’re not getting the ROI we thought we might’.”

Her analysis is part of a growing group of evidence that suggests that millennials haven’t been the consumer boon that many corporations expected them to be. Their appeal remains that they are digitally native, mobile oriented, media savvy, politically progressive and well educated. But there’s just one problem: almost none of them seem to have the inly asset corporations care about: disposable cash.

Millennials are not as coveted as one thinks. They have debt and not a lot of cash in hand. College debt is the biggest problem.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
College debt is the biggest problem.

Having seen what management at work has to deal with, no it's not. They have:

No work ethic.

Get "triggered"

Whine that supervisors are "mean" to them or feel they are singled out, IE:  big meanie told me what to do!!!!!

#1       they can't seem to show up on time and don't see the "problem" with that.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline freedumb2003b

No work ethic.

Get "triggered"

Whine that supervisors are "mean" to them or feel they are singled out, IE:  big meanie told me what to do!!!!!

#1       they can't seem to show up on time and don't see the "problem" with that.

They should not call it "Student Debt."  They should call it "Stupid Debt."  ANYONE can get a good college education at their local State University at about 1/10th the price of Prestige University.  And for 99% of careers, the result is the same.  They want to know THAT you have a sheepskin, not so much from WHERE (even Law and Med Schools no matter what you hear).

I worked in Higher Ed on the admin side at both baccalaureate and post-grad for many years and know of what I speak. 

In MY day, it was made clear you were making a loan and a promise to repay and they made it clear the total costs.  We must have been smarter back then since it made sense and we agreed and abided by that agreement.

So it is clear that the MLs are just astoundingly stupid and/or irresponsible as a cohort.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

No work ethic.

Get "triggered"

Exactly.

Bret Easton Ellis tells 'spoiled children' liberals to deal with Trump: 'He was elected president. Get over it.'
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bret-easton-ellis-tells-spoiled-children-liberals-how-to-deal-with-trump-he-was-elected-president-get-over-it

He places Trump's 2016 victory and what he sees as the Left's continued refusal to accept his legitimacy squarely in the context of millennials — those who reached adulthood around the start of the 21st century. He brands them"Generation Wuss" and laments their "oversensitivity, their sense of entitlement, their insistence they were always right despite sometimes overwhelming proof to the contrary, their joint tendencies of overreaction and passive-aggressive possibility."

This, he argues, has been fostered by "overprotective, helicopter moms and dads mapping their every move" while "smothering their kids and not teaching them how to deal with life's hardships ... people might not like you, this person will not love you back, kids are really cruel, work sucks, it's hard to be good at something, your days will be made up of failure and disappointment, you're not talented, people suffer, people grow older, people die."

"Generation Wuss," he writes, became consumed by "victim narratives" and "anxiety and neediness." More darkly, and with the help of social media, Ellis diagnoses a growing inability to accept or even listen to viewpoints that differ from a "woke" status quo.

"This is an age that judges everybody so harshly through the lens of identity politics that if you resist the threatening groupthink of 'progressive ideology,' which proposes universal inclusivity except for those who dare to ask any questions, you’re somehow ****ed," Ellis writes. "Everyone has to be the same, and have the same reactions to any given work of art, or movement or idea, and if you refuse to join the chorus of approval you will be tagged a racist or a misogynist."

Bret Easton Ellis sees how this came about.

They want to be accepted and liked. Social media has made it much worse.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
That's a pretty broad brush some of you are painting millennials with. I have work with millennials and I have found their work ethic to be about the same a previous generations. Some are hard working and diligent and others are not and the rest fill the gap in between. What most of them have in common, however, is that they don't have a lot of money but student debt isn't the main culprit. The world is an expensive place these days. When I was in my early twenties a two bedroom apartment was going for around $200.00 a month. Now the same apartment is nearly  $1000 or more. It's hard when you see pretty much every dime you make going to cover the basics.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
That's a pretty broad brush some of you are painting millennials with. I have work with millennials and I have found their work ethic to be about the same a previous generations. Some are hard working and diligent and others are not and the rest fill the gap in between. What most of them have in common, however, is that they don't have a lot of money but student debt isn't the main culprit. The world is an expensive place these days. When I was in my early twenties a two bedroom apartment was going for around $200.00 a month. Now the same apartment is nearly  $1000 or more. It's hard when you see pretty much every dime you make going to cover the basics.

I'll agree that SOME millennials are hardworking and diligent and, over the past 25 years that I've been retired from the Army, it's been a pleasure to work with them.

On the average, however, it's been my experience that most have been coddled and wetnursed along the way. They neither understand nor appreciate what it's like to STFU and put their nose down and work. Whining, complaining, and pissing and moaning about things seems to be the important thing to do.

Call it a broad brush if you like. I call it my experience.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.