Author Topic: Oh Come on Brooklynite, you're smarter than this.  (Read 696 times)

Offline Karin

Oh Come on Brooklynite, you're smarter than this.
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:56:06 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212189686

Fri Jun 14, 2019, 04:48 PM
 brooklynite (51,846 posts)

Why Trump Will Lose in 2020

New York Times  (he provides a link)https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/24/opinion/trump-2020-election.html

With several major Democratic primary candidates having declared, the palace intrigue of America’s 2020 presidential election is already in nearly full swing. But what if I were to tell you that barring a significant unforeseen shock to the system, the outcome of 2020 is already set in stone?

The high levels of hyperpartisanship and polarization in the electorate have profoundly affected the political behavior of Americans and, by extension, made the outcome of our elections highly predictable.

Always powerful, partisanship has become the be-all and end-all for American voters. With these political dynamics, a person accused of sexual misconduct against teenage girls and young women can run for and win upward of 90 percent of his party’s vote — as the Republican Roy Moore did, according to exit polls, in the special Senate election in Alabama in 2017.

Yet a key aspect of polarization has been somewhat overlooked: negative partisanship. Voters with this attitude are mobilized not by love of their own party so much as by hatred of the opposition party. Negative partisanship especially benefits the party that doesn’t hold the presidency, because out-party voters find themselves living in a world where their political preferences are under constant assault, or at least appear to be so.

This article was written back in Jan 24, 2019 by
Dr. Bitecofer is a professor of political science at Christopher Newport University.
  Even the NYT comments were lukewarm. 

Offline Delmar

Re: Oh Come on Brooklynite, you're smarter than this.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »
Response to brooklynite (Original post)Fri Jun 14, 2019, 04:55 PM
Star Member ecstatic (24,620 posts)
2. I wish they'd focus more attention on securing our elections.

trump loses to any of our candidates, in a landslide, but only if our elections are free, fair, and secured.

Never too early to start working on an excuse for losing in 2020.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden