Author Topic: Would an impeachment trial in the Senate be presided over by Mitch McConnell?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
kentuck (91,670 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212172654

Would an impeachment trial in the Senate be presided over by Mitch McConnell or the Chief Justice?
If presided over by the Chief Justice, could Mitch McConnell shut it down?

I have heard different scenarios, such as, Mitch McConnell could shut it down and not even have a trial?

Is that possible?

Because if there is one more serious charge made against Donald Trump, I do not think Nancy Pelosi can hold back the forces. I think the majority would impeach. But they are waiting on one more piece of evidence to buttress the Mueller investigation and what is already known. One witness is all they need. Or it could be in the Flynn tape that has been hidden by the Justice Dept?

Donald Trump's possible impeachment is hanging by a thread, in my opinion.

:whatever:

Star Member Lochloosa (12,589 posts)

2. The turtle said he would just call a vote and be done with it.

No trail.

MOST DANGEROUS PERSON IN AMERICA.

:whatever:

Buckeyeblue (1,191 posts)

6. I would think even if he called a vote there would have to be debate

Senate Democrats could use that time to make the case for impeachment. And I'm sure all the networks would cover it.

Fiendish Thingy (2,160 posts)

8. Chief Justice would preside- Mitch's only power would be to vote to change Senate rules

Current Senate rules state if House approves articles of impeachment, the Senate must hold a trial, over which Mitch has no power- he could not force a quick up or down vote with no arguments.

What Mitch could do is hold a vote to change the Senate rules to allow the Senate to decline to hold a trial- a cowardly move that IMO would work in the Dems favor. Imagine, after in depth hearings into Trump's corruption and criminality, the house votes to impeach (or is on the brink of voting), and Mitch suddenly holds a vote to change the Senate rules- the GOP would be on the hook for denying Justice, or in Trump's view, denying him "total exoneration". The impeachment would just hang there in the air, unresolved, through the election, with each GOP senator's vote to not even hold a trial on display for all to see...

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

first off, you mutts still need to name a high crime and misdemeanor that President Trump has committed that warrants impeachment in the first place.

Ball's in your court.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

first off, you mutts still need to name a high crime and misdemeanor that President Trump has committed that warrants impeachment in the first place.

Ball's in your court.

Nothing prevents the House from impeaching Trump for his orange complexion. So the House can throw together whatever gobbledygoo they want. Then the Senate will be presided over by the Chief Justice, but can proceed as they choose. So McConnell could possibly bring it to a vote more or less immediately, since no actual crimes and evidence could be presented - none were committed, therefore no evidence to present.

This is why Pelosi is trying to keep Dems whipped up, but keep them short of the stupidity of a vote on impeachment.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.

Ball's in your court.

His high crime and misdemeanor is he beat felonia von pantsuit. That's it.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
It’s not Mitch they have to worry about.  It’s Schmucky Schumer they have to watch.  He knows that impeachment is a fool’s errand that will cost Dems for years.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
It’s not Mitch they have to worry about.  It’s Schmucky Schumer they have to watch.  He knows that impeachment is a fool’s errand that will cost Dems for years.

I heard today that they're trying to get AOC to primary him.

Now, THAT would be priceless.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7