Author Topic: Random question for people who have worked construction  (Read 1427 times)

Offline CC27

Random question for people who have worked construction
« on: May 29, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
Recursion (52,965 posts)

What's the longest distance you've ever had to deal with between the site and the roadhead or railhead?

I'm trying to talk sense to a MAGA friend who still wants the "rest of the wall" built and trying to figure out realistically how much new road and rail that would take.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212138782

HUH???

Offline SVPete

Re: Random question for people who have worked construction
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »
Probably trying to concoct a mental chicken-wire-and-cinder-blocks logistical impossibility scenario or a mental Enviro-Pocalypse scenario.

Maybe Recursion should have asked more narrowly, looking for people who have worked in constructing bird-chopper and bird-fryer farms, which tend to be located in less accessible areas. But the big problem with his/her inquiry is that Four-Letter W-word.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »
Recursion (52,965 posts)

What's the longest distance you've ever had to deal with between the site and the roadhead or railhead?

24,900 miles, but it would have only been 1 mile if I haden't asked a dummy for directions!! :thatsright: :-)

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 09:26:05 AM »
So basically we have a DUmmie who is admitting to knowing nothing about the subject of which it is choosing to argue, asking for help from others who have no idea of the subject, to prove wrong someone who probably DOES know something of the subject.

Perfect.  He starts an argument without having any knowledge, then wants to somehow back into being correct.  Got it.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »
has the DUmmy ever considered that extending the rails or roads to deliver supplies to the jobsite are factored in the overall scope of the job?

As an example, when Hoover Dam was built, there was no concrete plant large enough to supply the amount of material required to build the structure within hundreds of miles.  Did the planners of the dam throw up their hands and say, well we don't have a source for concrete nearby so lets scrap the plans for the dam?  No, they built a concrete plant on site to provide the project the concrete needed to complete the job.  But as previously pointed out, it required alot of the 4 letter "W" word, which is something that is abhorrent to all DUmmies...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »
Railhead or roadhead?? WTF.

Everybody knows that you air freight in the concrete and steel for a project like this. Also fly in the water to make the crete.  Stupid DUmmys.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 05:24:59 PM »
Recursion (52,965 posts)

I'm trying to talk sense to a MAGA friend who still wants the "rest of the wall" built and trying to figure out realistically how much new road and rail that would take.

We just barge that shit down the river...DUH!
Deplorable since 2016

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »
We just barge that shit down the river...DUH!

I doubt many DUpipo realize that ~ half the US border with Mexico is the Rio Grande River, with several significant cities along its course. Westward from El Paso, NM's SR9 and SR81 follow most of the border with NM closely. There's a ~70 mile gap from Antelope, NM to where US 191 meets the border in AZ. Then from Douglas to past Miracle Valley AZ SR80 and SR92 are close to the border. There's a ~25 milgap from Miracle Valley to Lochiel, AZ, then a county road goes through Kino Springs and meets SR82 that goes into Nogales. There's about a 100 mile gap from Nogales to where SR85 goes through Organ Pipe National Monument, and maybe a 90 mile gap from there to Yuma near the borders between Mexico, AZ, and CA. Westward from Yuma, I-8, I-805, SR98, and SR94 make it so there is one gap of less than 15 miles with no apparent roads on the CA side of the border.

I know, TL,DR, but my point is that a few minutes on Google maps would have shown DU-Super-Genius Recursion his/her logistics argument is a non-starter.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 08:07:58 PM »
>Recursion (52,965 posts) Random question for people who have worked construction

What a maroon.  DUmmys don't work, much less work that requires effort.  Maggots can't even act smart.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 04:59:20 AM »
Railhead or roadhead?? WTF.

Everybody knows that you air freight in the concrete and steel for a project like this. Also fly in the water to make the crete.  Stupid DUmmys.

I think what he is asking is how much extra road has to be built from a main road or rail line to a large job site that currently had no transportation access. I'm not sure where he is planning on taking this but I suspect he's building a road to nowhere.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
I think what he is asking is how much extra road has to be built from a main road or rail line to a large job site that currently had no transportation access. I'm not sure where he is planning on taking this but I suspect he's building a road to nowhere.

Like I posted less clearly above, I think (s)he's trying to construct a massive logistics problem or enviro-disaster argument. As my long-winded post yesterday PM illustrated, the logistics problem argument is refuted by a few minutes' glance at Google Maps. As for the enviro-disaster argument, illegals' trash and crap forced the closing of Organ Pipe National Monument for several years of clean-up, so the enviro-disaster would be not building the wall.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
Like I posted less clearly above, I think (s)he's trying to construct a massive logistics problem or enviro-disaster argument. As my long-winded post yesterday PM illustrated, the logistics problem argument is refuted by a few minutes' glance at Google Maps. As for the enviro-disaster argument, illegals' trash and crap forced the closing of Organ Pipe National Monument for several years of clean-up, so the enviro-disaster would be not building the wall.

They do the same thing on the southern border;

(On EDIT: I thought a DUmmie might come over and see this and I want them to be able to understand what I wrote above.)

For our DUmmie lurkers; They do the same thing on the southern boarder

Of course the DUmmies and their ilk think this is perfectly fine.  They actually have a thread over there advocating for low income people to not have to pay traffic fines.  I started to bring it over, but I got busy and lost it.

KC
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:48:05 AM by Texacon »
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
I think traffic fines should be quadrupled for low-income people. They are the ones who should be most careful as they have no insurance and the rest of us get stuck paying their medical costs when they have an accident.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
Also for the sake of any DU-onlurkers, Organ Pipe National Monument - trashed, literally, by illegals - is on the Arizona-Mexico border.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
Recursion (52,965 posts)

The Conestoga wagons will be there any day now...... no worries...
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 02:11:23 PM »
 :rotf: 5 whole responses, none particularly serious. :rotf: None claiming to have worked. :rotf:

:tongue: DU-member Recursion should have known better than to ask DU-members about having worked. :tongue:

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 02:41:49 PM »
:rotf: 5 whole responses, none particularly serious. :rotf: None claiming to have worked. :rotf:

:tongue: DU-member Recursion should have known better than to ask DU-members about having worked. :tongue:
In all fairness, at most of their ages and criminal tendencies, a good number of them have probably busted rock for a road project
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)