Author Topic: How Many People Actually Watch Fox News in America?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
How Many People Actually Watch Fox News in America?
« on: May 20, 2019, 05:57:42 PM »
Star Member MineralMan (120,883 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212112384

Fewer than you might think, actually. In fact, all three major networks, ABC, NBC, and CBS have far more viewers, individually for their news programming than Fox News. Far more. Fox has a fixed, conservative audience that often only watches Fox News.

Oh, my... this should be good...

“Hannity” was the most-watched cable news program in 2018, averaging 3.3 million viewers. Fox News Channel finished 2018 as the most-watched basic cable network for the third consecutive year among both primetime and total day viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research.Dec 12, 2018

According to data released Wednesday by Nielsen, Fox News Channel delivered a total prime-time audience of 2.5 million viewers, up 3% from 2017

FOX has been number one among cable news audiences since that point. ... FOX marked its 15th year as the highest-rated cable news channel in the same demographic, posting 2.8 million average total viewers in January 2017. MSNBC beat CNN in total primetime viewers, ranking sixth among all cable networks in January.

October 2018 Ratings: Fox News Channel Averaged More Total Viewers Than CNN and MSNBC Combined. ... Fox News was the most-watched network in cable news for the 202nd consecutive month. It also beat CNN and MSNBC combined in total viewers in prime time, and across the 24-hour day.Oct 30, 2018

The latest survey from Nielsen shows CNN is losing the prime time cable news race. It has 944,000 viewers from 8 to 11 p.m. EST. Compare that to 2.3 million for Fox News and 1.7 million for MSNBC.

In prime, MSNBC ranked #3 in total viewers across all of cable (ahead of #4 Hallmark and #5 CNN) and beat CNN in total viewers for the 24th straight month (2.29M vs. CNN's 1.34M).Nov 28, 2018

:lol:   30 second search on google...

Star Member Wounded Bear (28,073 posts)

1. I think the bigger problem is probably RW AM radio...

Limbots and such. Ubiquitous and loud, loud, loud.

Star Member underpants (141,780 posts)

3. I read here on DU many years ago

that 21st Century Fox buys flatscreens and pays cable bills for some establishments (mostly restaurants) but they are required to keep it on Fox News. Years ago on DU but I think there were some pretty credible links/sources.

That might have been the really early days of Fox News.

:lmao:

maxsolomon (18,552 posts)

6. It's on in airports, waiting rooms, restaurants.

Not just private homes.

Everywhere you see it that's public, complain about it.

You could hide the remote after changing the channel and locking out FOX... tells us how well that works...

15. Not anywhere I go it isn't.

That has changed in the past couple of years. Most places I go have CNN on the TV. My car dealership put the remote out in the service waiting area. Last time I went there, the TV was off. There were the people waiting. Nobody turned it on. It used to have Fox News on. I complained. That's when the out the remote in the room.

:???:

Star Member Turbineguy (28,179 posts)

7. It seems to me that often Fox News

is on during the day time at car dealers, bars, restaurants and able to work its propaganda. In the evening some of those viewers switch but the damage is done.

Star Member kimbutgar (10,552 posts)

14. The chain that owns La Quinta inn has a policy that fox should be on in the breakfast rooms

I requested the channel to be changed while staying at a la Quinta and the manager told me it was company policy. I emailed the company who confirmed it and will never stay at that corporate chain again. Wyndham hotels is the corporate owner. When I travel I are sure to never stay at that corporate chain.

:mental:

doc03 (21,702 posts)

16. I think the numbers are far higher. Are they talking at any

given period? There may be only 3 million tuned in on one show at night. But what about all the people watching one tv in every damn mall, doctors office or gym? Then there are people that have other things to do like work that just watch a few minutes of Fox and Friends? I would guess there are a couple million people just in Ohio that watch some Fox every day.

How does Nielson's work?

The numbers in a Nielsen rating act as a percentage. Nielsen estimates a total audience for a certain span of time, and ratings count as percentage points in that estimated audience. ... There are 118.4 million households and each point on a Nielsen rating represents a percent of that total number. Aug 2, 2017

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: How Many People Actually Watch Fox News in America?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »

Fewer than you might think, actually. In fact, all three major networks, ABC, NBC, and CBS have far more viewers, individually for their news programming than Fox News. ...

I've never heard Fox News viewer numbers being touted in comparison to those of the broadcast networks. Because FN is a cable channel. That's why FN is always compared to CNN and MSNBC, other cable channels. If that is a revelation to DUpipo, all I can say is, "Damn they're DUmb!" BTW, Fox News' ratings sometimes exceeds the ratings of CNN and MSNBC combined.

That said, the broadcast networks' news shows ratings have been declining steadily for 35 or 40 years. So MM's little celebration has a whistling-past-the-graveyard feel to it.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 06:42:10 PM »

Fewer than you might think, actually. In fact, all three major networks, ABC, NBC, and CBS have far more viewers, individually for their news programming than Fox News. Far more. Fox has a fixed, conservative audience that often only watches Fox News.

FOX News is a cable channel, not broadcast channel. Not a comparison.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »
If you're having to talk about why Fox News is a small player, then what you're doing is sending a message that you really don't believe Fox News is a small player.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »
If you're having to talk about why Fox News is a small player, then what you're doing is sending a message that you really don't believe Fox News is a small player.

Considering the amount of Fox-Hatred on DU, Fox seems to be VERY significant in their eyes. :fuelfire:  :tongue:  :rotf:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:47:54 PM »
What freaking difference does it make, Rockhead?

Yeah, Fox News is all over airports, car dealerships, bars & other public locations.  Just like President Trump, Fox News lives rent in your feeble brains.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 03:12:47 AM »
What freaking difference does it make, Rockhead?

Yeah, Fox News is all over airports, car dealerships, bars & other public locations.  Just like President Trump, Fox News lives rent in your feeble brains.

When someone doesn't change the channel and hide the remote.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »
DUmmies bitching about FOX News..............for how many years now?

:rofl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »
DUmmies bitching about FOX News..............for how many years now?

:rofl:

Close to 18 1/2 years, I believe.

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 04:25:16 PM »
FNC on in airports?  Where?  I have never seen anything other than CNN in literally every single US airport I have been to, from JFK and LAX to rinky-dinks like Shreveport and Asheville and Dothan.

The old Northwest club in Memphis did have FNC on once upon a time way back when, but it was one of about six channels on that everyone there could choose from: CNN, FNC, ESPN, BBC, etc.  They had about six screens in the lounge area and people were free to flip to whatever station they wanted, though most just plugged into their internet back then (this was long before free wifi was anywhere remotely close to being common).  I only ever went to the clubs for the internet and the free booze.  Believe me: if you're stuck in ****ing Memphis for three hours, you need every scotch and soda they have available.

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
Roughly ten times more than watch cnn and 3 times more than pmsnbc.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.