Author Topic: A modest request: Please do your research  (Read 1027 times)

Offline CC27

A modest request: Please do your research
« on: May 20, 2019, 09:19:12 AM »
EffieBlack (13,510 posts)

A modest request: Please do your research

It’s not a new thing here but it seems to be more prevalent lately that people are throwing around terms and concepts that they’ve read about somewhere on the internet but haven’t taken the time to actually learn about. As a lawyer, I notice it more when it deals with legal issues, but it’s certainly broader than that.

For example, lately some folk are complaining about (and actually mocking) the Democrats’ “strongly worded letters,” not realizing they are a legal necessity and demanding that Congress exercise its “inherent contempt” authority to throw people in jail immediately, without understanding exactly how this authority works and that it doesn’t permit immediate arrest and jail.

Such misconceptions wouldn’t be a big deal ordinarily, but when people who DO understand these issues try to explain it to them, some folk double down, argue and even get snarky - all the while further demonstrating their lack of knowledge about or even a cursory effort to research the topic.

This discussion board is a great place to engage and learn from each other. I’m constantly learning here. But it’s not helpful if people refuse to make any effort to learn what they’re talking about before they start talking about it, spread misinformation, and then argue and attack when anyone who knows the topic tries to help them better understand it.

I know I’ll likely take some incoming for having the temerity to say this - probably from some of the same folk who are doing what I’m talking about - but I hope people will seriously consider it and take some time to learn more about what they’re discussing, either by researching it before they bring it up or jump into a discussion, or by showing more respect to DUers who have more knowledge about a topic than they do. We all have something to learn about something from someone else.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212111035

What a word salad. Pointless.

Offline SVPete

Re: A modest request: Please do your research
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »

Yeah, if DU-member EffieBlack were serious about words and phrases used carelessly without reference to actual meaning, "Racism" and "Violence" would have to be among the Top 10. But she would probably be a frequent offender, so that ain't going to happen.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »
Whoa.

Isn't EffieBlack the bravenak primitive, who's definitely no attorney?

Something's just not right here.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Will Morningstar

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »

Effie Black: "This discussion board is a great place to engage and learn from each other."

Words fail me, my friends. Words fail me.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »
Whoa.

Isn't EffieBlack the bravenak primitive, who's definitely no attorney?

Something's just not right here.

Effie was around when bravenak was. The 2 prevalent members who are gone are bravenak and 1strongblackman, both of whom other members still cry about them being no longer there.

I don't believe that bravenak is coming back ever. Besides, her posting style isn't something she's capable of disguising, and it's too easy to spot.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »

There needs to be a "word salad" emoji just for the DUmmies.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 05:51:47 AM »
people are throwing around terms and concepts that they’ve read about somewhere on the internet but haven’t taken the time to actually learn about.

This is the lifeblood of DU posts. Eliminate the posting of misunderstood concepts and buzz words and 98 percent of the messages would disappear.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.