Author Topic: Author faces backlash for reporting black Metro employee for eating on train; bo  (Read 2729 times)

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212092254

Demovictory9
Author faces backlash for reporting black Metro employee for eating on train; book deal halted

A D.C. author shamed a Metro worker for eating on the train. Now her book deal is in jeopardy.
The backlash was swift, with many accusing the woman, Natasha Tynes, of trying to get the employee fired.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2019/05/11/dc-pundit-shamed-metro-worker-eating-train-now-her-book-deal-is-jeopardy/?utm_term=.7b885876401e

Author Natasha Tynes has ignited a firestorm on social media, where she criticized a black Metro employee for eating on the train and reported the woman to transit officials.

Tynes, a Jordanian-American writer and World Bank employee in Washington, tweeted a photo of the woman Friday, showing the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority employee in uniform, eating on the Red Line. Tynes tagged the WMATA account, reporting that when she confronted the woman for breaking Metro rules, the woman told her to “worry about yourself.”

When you’re on your morning commute & see @wmata employee in UNIFORM eating on the train,” Tynes tweeted. “I thought we were not allowed to eat on the train. This is unacceptable. Hope @wmata responds."

The backlash was swift on Twitter, where people have been calling out the self-described “minority writer” for shaming a black woman and attempting to get her into trouble. Amid the uproar, Tynes apologized, saying she was “truly sorry” for the tweet, which she acknowledged had been deleted. By early Saturday morning, she had also set her account to private.

----

Barry Hobson, the chief of staff for the Metro workers union — Amalgamated Transit Union Local 689 — said in a statement the Metro employee was taking her meal break while in transit from one assignment to another. The statement notes operators have "an average of 20 minutes to consume a meal and get to their next access point to ensure all buses and trains are on time, safe, and ready to serve the riding public.”

-----

Rare Birds Books, a publishing house that was set to distribute Tynes’s upcoming novel, “They Called Me Wyatt,” has since decided not to do so.

The company said in a statement Friday that it had learned that the author “did something truly horrible today in tweeting a picture of a metro worker eating her breakfast on the train this morning and drawing attention to her employer. Black women face a constant barrage of this kind of inappropriate behavior directed toward them and a constant policing of their bodies.

This thread is sure to grow. A few are actually defending the author, good for them, but most are going down the racist road. Not a SINGLE person is pointing out the employee is a UNION member and obviously doesn’t have a contract that allows for a proper lunch break!   :rotf:

Wonder why we’re not seeing that connection ...  :whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ChuckJ

This racist thing is somewhat confusing to me. The Tynes woman is a "Jordanian-American" and her skin is somewhat brown. If a white person would have said something to the Tynes woman it would have been racist because Tynes woman would, in that case, be considered a person of color. Since, in this case, the Tynes woman said something about someone with darker skin the Tynes woman is no longer a person of color. Instead, she is now considered white.

Weird.

I guess it's par for the course though when most of them don't even know how to determine if they are male or female.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline SVPete

Tynes, a Jordanian-American writer and World Bank employee in Washington, tweeted a photo of the woman Friday, showing the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority employee in uniform, eating on the Red Line. Tynes tagged the WMATA account, reporting that when she confronted the woman for breaking Metro rules, the woman told her to “worry about yourself.”

Aren't Jordanians some flavor of POC in the Prog Intersectionality Handbook?

This wasn't a she-said--she-said situation. Tynes had a photo of the WMATA employee breaking WMATA rules.

I'm guessing the unnamed WMATA employee's defiance is what motivated Tynes to go public with this.

What disgusts me with the WashPost article - what Demovictory9 quotes of it - is that Tynes is named 7 times. The rules-breaker is not mentioned by name once, unless in a part of the WashPost article not quoted. The union's explanation, if true, is reasonable enough. Maybe the WMATA employee should have given it to Tynes rather than being defiant. And maybe the union should have, long ago, arranged with WMATA for a designated area for employees having to eat their lunch/dinner onboard so as to avoid confrontations like this.

Skin color was irrelevant to this, but as my signature quote says ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
dsc
36. I think the public nature of what the author did was out of line
but frankly I find it hard to defend the actions of the employee. She broke a well known and enforced rule against eating on the train. People have been arrested for violating this very same rule. They have had their freedom taken away, albeit for a very short time, for breaking this very same rule. And when the customer confronted this woman for breaking this rule, that people have been arrested for breaking it should be noted, she was told to worry about herself. I think she should have called or emailed and not used a public post but the fact is this woman had every earthly right to complain about this. Again, people have literally been arrested and put in jail for breaking this rule.

The DUmmies are torn between their love of government enforced authoritarianism, and their love of all things being racially motivated. It’s a fun thread to watch and still no mention of why the Union is not taking care of the workers.

Honeycombe8
35. People who deal with the public can be very rude sometimes.
It gets to you. Maybe it was the way the other person complained to her. I mean...it's obvious why she was eating. Why would anyone even bother to point out, "Hey, I know you get to eat, and I know we can't stop the train to wait for you to leave to go eat, but it's against the rules for you to eat on the train, despite the catch-22 you're in?"

People who worry about workers eating on their short dinner breaks have a pretty easy life, I'm thinking, if that's what they are concerned about.

Amazing how that works with government employees, huh?  When you don’t have much or very little alternative you can basically tell your customers to go piss up a rope without having to worry about them fleeing in droves to your competitors who are NOT subsidized by the tax payers.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Natasha Tynes's book, They Called Me Wyatt, is set to come out next month.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44074741-they-called-me-wyatt

It is getting bad reviews. Not sure if it will be published now.

Her Twitter account is set to private.
https://twitter.com/natashatynes?lang=en
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:23:47 AM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
This racist thing is somewhat confusing to me. The Tynes woman is a "Jordanian-American" and her skin is somewhat brown. If a white person would have said something to the Tynes woman it would have been racist because Tynes woman would, in that case, be considered a person of color. Since, in this case, the Tynes woman said something about someone with darker skin the Tynes woman is no longer a person of color. Instead, she is now considered white.

Weird.

I guess it's par for the course though when most of them don't even know how to determine if they are male or female.

They have a lockstep and blind obedience mentality. If one steps a little out of line............. Bye.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Delmar

Author faces backlash for reporting black Metro employee for eating on train; book deal halted

A D.C. author shamed a Metro worker for eating on the train. Now her book deal is in jeopardy.

One little screw up and she has blown her shot at the Bernie Sanders version of the American dream.

“I wrote a best-selling book.  If you write a best-selling book, you can be a millionaire, too.”
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Aren't Jordanians some flavor of POC in the Prog Intersectionality Handbook?

This wasn't a she-said--she-said situation. Tynes had a photo of the WMATA employee breaking WMATA rules.

I'm guessing the unnamed WMATA employee's defiance is what motivated Tynes to go public with this.

What disgusts me with the WashPost article - what Demovictory9 quotes of it - is that Tynes is named 7 times. The rules-breaker is not mentioned by name once, unless in a part of the WashPost article not quoted. The union's explanation, if true, is reasonable enough. Maybe the WMATA employee should have given it to Tynes rather than being defiant. And maybe the union should have, long ago, arranged with WMATA for a designated area for employees having to eat their lunch/dinner onboard so as to avoid confrontations like this.

Skin color was irrelevant to this, but as my signature quote says ...

Unless she is a Jordanian Christian, then she is a hated minority...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline jukin

Straight up BLACK Privilege and black racism..
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Left wing whackos attacking another left wing whacko. I say stay out of the way.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."

The comments are pure SJW gold.  :lmao:

Popular Answered Questions
Would you still go ahead and buy a book if you know it was written by a bigot who went out of her way to get an African American lady fired for eating on her way to work? I asked myself this question, then decided I'd rather give my money to someone more deserving.

Aprylle

Absolutely not. What a disgusting piece of trash. Natasha Tynes is not a woman that supports other women. She is a minority that is racially insensitive to the struggles of those who she presumes to be beneath her. Her proximity to whiteness has afforded her opportunities to which other women of color have not had access, yet rather than find ways to uplift them or understand their struggles, she chooses to find ways to further denigrate them. I'm an avid reader of multicultural literature and I, in fact, teach World Literature. I would never expose my students to anyone as insensitve as this. Wyatt should remain unknown. (less)

Corey O'Brien rated it did not like it
Weird, I tried to finish this book in peace but then the author randomly came up to me and told me I wasn't allowed to read on the train. And then she reported me to my employer, possibly getting me fired.

OH WAIT! That's what she did to a Metro Rail worker who was trying to peacefully eat her meal while commute, took a photo of her to blast her on twitter and complain. Eat glass Natasha you waste of space.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

The comments are pure SJW gold.  :lmao:

The internet will be the downfall of the world.  Jeeze there are some idiots out there, but without the internet we didn't know just how many there are so we were blissfully unaware.

KC

*Stolen

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."

The internet will be the downfall of the world.  Jeeze there are some idiots out there, but without the internet we didn't know just how many there are so we were blissfully unaware.

KC
Before the internet we had to wonder "who in the world support x?". X being some lefty cause or candidate like global warming or AOC.

Now we know...
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jukin

This my friends is black privilege. Black privilege is much more prevalent than white privilege.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
D.C. Author Sues After Losing A Book Deal For Publicly Shaming A Metro Employee
https://dcist.com/story/19/06/10/d-c-author-sues-after-losing-a-book-deal-for-publicly-shaming-a-metro-employee/

Natasha Tynes, a D.C.-area author who faced backlash last month for publicly shaming a black Metro employee for eating on the train, is now suing her publisher for cancelling the publication of her book during the fallout from the incident.

Tynes is accusing the publishing house, Rare Bird, of breaching their publishing contract, defaming her, and causing her emotional distress, according to the complaint. She is asking for $13 million total in restitution. The Washington Post was the first to report on the lawsuit.

On May 10, Tynes drew criticism after tweeting out a photo of a black woman in a Metro uniform eating breakfast on the train. “When you’re on your morning commute and see @wmata employee in UNIFORM eating on the train. I thought we were not allowed to eat on the train. This is unacceptable,” Tynes tweeted.  “Hope @wmata responds. When I asked the employee about this, her response was ‘worry about yourself.'”

Natasha Tynes is suing Rare Bird for canceling her publication of her book.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline SVPete

D.C. Author Sues After Losing A Book Deal For Publicly Shaming A Metro Employee
https://dcist.com/story/19/06/10/d-c-author-sues-after-losing-a-book-deal-for-publicly-shaming-a-metro-employee/

Natasha Tynes is suing Rare Bird for canceling her publication of her book.

Get woke, go broke. Hopefully, in this case.

A few decades ago people understood that the way to handle bullies was to stand up to them, and as necessary fight back. Since this wisdom has gotten lost, Targets of Wokeness need to raise the cost of knuckling under to the bullies.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:54:15 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Hummm  this is at the bottom of the article......

Got gonorrhea? It may have come from French kissing, study says.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Hummm  this is at the bottom of the article......

Got gonorrhea? It may have come from French kissing, study says.

Only if she is upside down!! :naughty: :naughty:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline landofconfusion80

Only if she is upside down!! :naughty: :naughty:
No no no, that's pink eye
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

*Stolen

Offline 67 Rover

No no no, that's pink eye

Yep, that right there is funny. H5  :rofl:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline landofconfusion80

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)