Author Topic: Are there really any left who insist that "It can't happen here"?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Mary Ann

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212073683

Atticus (5,621 posts)
Are there really any left who insist that "It can't happen here"?
Over a decade ago, as the teabaggers were crawling out from under their rocks and telling the nation that racism and violence were "as American as apple pie", I predicted to my wife that, if their hate and bigotry were not clearly repudiated, there would be "blood in the streets" to rival and foreign strife we've watched on our TV newscasts.

Instead of repudiating the mutant cockroach mentality, Trump and his acolytes have celebrated it. Their one litmus test appears to be: "Does it disgust and outrage normal Americans?" So far, disgust and outrage have been the only response to the tiki-torch brown shirts who get their inspiration from Trump.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I still see open conflict between "them" and the rest of us as a distinct possibility. It could be avoided if we, the majority, could be motivated to OPENLY voice and demonstrate our total opposition to all that Trump stands for. If the deplorables could actually see how many are determined to resist their mindless fascism, their self-preservation instinct might send them scurrying back under the rocks from whence they crawled. But, standing up in public and pissing people off is kind of scary and it might rain or it might be really hot or there might be nasty people yelling at us. So, I'm afraid the prevailing attitude is to keep your head down, your mouth shut and to just "go with the flow" and hope things get better.

Just some thoughts on a beautiful spring day as I try to ignore the looming storm that is Trump.

Now, I have some questions. Atticus claims that "teabaggers were crawling out from under their rocks and telling the nation that racism and violence were "as American as apple pie". I don't recall ANYONE saying that racism and violence were as American as apple pie. Did that really happen, or is that just Atticus' wishful thinking?

"Does it disgust and outrage normal Americans?" Seriously, is Atticus trying to claim that he and the DUpipo represent "normal Americans?"

Does Atticus think that referring to us as "mutant cockroaches," "deplorables," and "brown shirts" is going to convince any of us to vote for one of their pathetic candidates?

Offline jukin

Re: Are there really any left who insist that "It can't happen here"?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
It has alreaady happened here.

I'm ready and in the end there will be a mountain of brass around me.  Is there any DUmbass that is?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:04:55 PM by jukin »
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:36:47 PM »
Atticus (5,621 posts)
Are there really any left who insist that "It can't happen here"?
Over a decade ago, as the teabaggers were crawling out from under their rocks and telling the nation that racism and violence were "as American as apple pie" 1, I predicted to my wife that, if their hate and bigotry were not clearly repudiated, there would be "blood in the streets" to rival and foreign strife we've watched on our TV newscasts 2.

1 That is stupidly false. But not surprising.

2 False premise, false conclusion. In the real world the violent rioters have been BLM thugs and Antifoid thugs whom DU-grade Proggies adore. Hey DU-Onlurkers!

:ownit:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
Quote from:
lunatica    (41,480 posts)

3. DU isn't some closet we're all hiding in

and neither you or the rest of DU is ignoring the looming storm.

Can you imagine what it would be like if we didn’t have DU? THAT would be a time for despair!

Claims DU isn't some closet, but has 40K+ posts and worries what would it be like if he didn't have his DU closet to crawl into and hide.  :o

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 01:02:04 PM »
Over a decade ago, as the teabaggers were crawling out from under their rocks and telling the nation that racism and violence were "as American as apple pie",

My recollection of the TEA Party movement was focusing on the over taxation of the American citizen, and had nothing to do with racism or violence.  The TEA Party held several rallies during that time and it was always pointed out how clean the venue was after the event, when contrasted with a similar event from a group on the left.

I seriously doubt many of the DUmmies are aware of the fact that the TEA in the TEA Party stands for Taxed Enough Already.  Is anyone surprised that the left took the acronym and bastardized it to "teabaggers" which is slang for a sex act favored by many gay people?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:30:46 PM »
You wouldn't think a whackjob like dummy "Atticus" could've been a district judge for over two decades but it did happen here.

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 07:05:27 PM »
You wouldn't think a whackjob like dummy "Atticus" could've been a district judge for over two decades but it did happen here.

It was a natural successor to the Porkbusters; a grass-roots movement protesting government spending.  These were conservative Republicans that were protesting a then Republican-controlled Congress for piss-poor fiscal discipline.  They feared what wound up happening; Democrat control of Congress and the White House.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:22:20 AM »

Just a side note, my wife and I are currently in London on vacation. When I tried to open the link, this is what it read:

Quote from:
451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact editor@effinghamdailynews.com or call (217) 347-7151 or 1-800-526-7205.

Talk about handing away your freedoms, Europe has gotten much worse.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 04:23:28 AM »
Just a side note, my wife and I are currently in London on vacation. When I tried to open the link, this is what it read:

If you find the time, read up on the tales of woe from count dancula and to some extent sargon of akkad. The 1st amendment is really taken for granted in America
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »
If you find the time, read up on the tales of woe from count dancula and to some extent sargon of akkad. The 1st amendment is really taken for granted in America

The demofascists are working every minute of every hour of everyday to strip out the First Amendment.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »

A VPN client would get around that right?
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
The demofascists are working every minute of every hour of everyday to strip out the First Amendment.

the irony of it all is that the demofascists don't realize that it is the First Amendment that is allowing them to make so much noise about getting rid of the speech they don't agree with.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020