Author Topic: William Barr Is A Member Of Opus Dei  (Read 2326 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
William Barr Is A Member Of Opus Dei
« on: May 05, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
Star Member Me. (23,713 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212071634

“As with many other Americans, I was dismayed in watching Attorney General William Barr’s performance two days ago before the U.S. Senate Judicial Committee. When questioned about his famous four page memo and repeated mischaracterization the Mueller Report, time and again, Barr obstructed, bobbed and weaved – all while refusing to answer basic questions put forth by the Democratic Senators.

We now also know that Barr gave misleading testimony before the House Appropriations Committee this past April 9, 2019. When asked by Rep. Charlie Crist (D-Fla.) if the A.G. knew why members of Mueller’s team were frustrated by his characterization of the Special Counsel’s report, that he did not. Speaker Pelosi has even accused the A.G. of criminality, saying that he lied to Congress.

But recently, we learned that the current Attorney General has some links with highly secretive, ultra-conservative Catholic group Opus Dei. This relationship may help explain his apparent “ends justifies the means” strategy.

Just to recap, Opus Dei, literally meaning, "The Work of God" was founded in Spain 1928 by the priest Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer. He based its mission upon the idea that lay Catholics could achieve holiness without entering a religious order. It is a personal prelature – meaning that, unlike a diocese, is not territorial but is a combination of laity, clergy and prelates who undertake specific pastoral activities. It is known for recruiting very influential members, especially those simpatico with culturally conservative causes. To describe its many wealthy and powerful leaders as economic royalists would be an understatement.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/3/1855095/-Did-Opus-Dei-Teach-A-G-Barr-to-Puts-Away-His-Scruples

Other notable members of Opus Dei can be found at Link below. You’ll find, the traitor’s cabinet riddled with members, as well as the SC and other branches of of government. It is one of the evils that is hidden with and works to destroy and distort. Interestingly, spy for Russia Robert Hansen is/was also a member.

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2019/03/opus-deis-influence-on-the-u-s-judiciary/

where are these links to Opus Dei?  :???: 

from the DailyKOS:
As Betty Clermont recently reported, “Before the Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing in January, Barr had completed a questionnaire. On page 4, he listed positions he’s held as director of the Catholic Information Center  (2014-1017), director of the Ethics and Public Policy Center (2004-2009)."

The CIC is serves as Opus Dei’s de facto Washington, D.C. base of operations.
[/i]

so... no direct connections?

Star Member FakeNoose (10,297 posts)

4. Five bucks says Chump has no clue what Opus Dei even is

Another $5 says he doesn't give a rats-ass. Chump's son-in-law may be up on conspiracy theories, but only as a way to keep the rubes in check. Mike Pompeo is another one, they're playing some Armageddon game and they think Putin is the anti-Christ. Or maybe they think he's the "Messiah," I don't know.

:mental:

10. The Traitor Didn't Even Know Who Barr Was

I'm not sure who suggested him but I think it was McGHan who is a Catholic Member of the Federalist Society

So we're dealing with the mob, the Russian mob and the Catholic mob

:thatsright:

Star Member DFW (33,189 posts)

6. As one who once lived in Franco's Spain, and learned its history from Catalan dissidents

I developed an undying hatred of Opus Dei and anyone associated with it.

:yawn:

27. WE're Still Riddled With Nazi Supporters

Last edited Sat May 4, 2019, 06:38 PM - Edit history (1)

Just today I read that Estee Lauder was one

:popcorn:

Star Member coeur_de_lion (2,174 posts)

43. Opus Dei huh?

It fits. He's fanatical about protecting an evil toddler liar, why not Opus Dei?

He's a very strange man. I was listening to his testimony thinking to myself that he's totally crazy.

This is just more proof.

::)

Star Member CrispyQ (26,004 posts)

55. Rich (mostly) white men who believe they have the Divine right to rule over everyone else.

As our species stands on an ecological brink brought about by their greed-motivated policies, they still believe in their superiority.

:lol:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: William Barr Is A Member Of Opus Dei
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:30:51 PM »
Ya-a-a-a-aaaawwwwwwwwwwwn ... someone should remind the DU-morons that The Da Vinci Code is fiction. Opus Dei is an organization the helps/encourages Catholic lay people to be better Catholics with respect to devotion to God.

It's funny how the Dems have progressed from the KKK hating Catholics (but Eastern European and Irish Catholics being faithful Dems) to Catholics being broadly accepted with the Kennedy Brothers, and back to Catholics being hated (unless they are like Teddy and Nancy, unfaithful nominal Catholics).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »

Five bucks says FakeNoose has no clue what Opus Dei even is.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:54:32 PM »

So what? Trump has not really been much into churches of any variety for most of his life. However, IIRC, Melania is a Catholic, so Trump may know something of Opus Dei, something more accurate that what DU-member FakeNoose probably learned from Dan Brown novels. DU is probably one of the most religiously ignorant wrt Christianity places in the US. DU-member FakeNoose is probably too ignorant of Christianity to recognize his/her own ignorance.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212071634

“As with many other Americans, I was dismayed in watching Attorney General William Barr’s performance two days ago before the U.S. Senate Judicial Committee. When questioned about his famous four page memo and repeated mischaracterization the Mueller Report, time and again, Barr obstructed, bobbed and weaved – all while refusing to answer basic questions put forth by the Democratic Senators.

We now also know that Barr gave misleading testimony before the House Appropriations Committee this past April 9, 2019. When asked by Rep. Charlie Crist (D-Fla.) if the A.G. knew why members of Mueller’s team were frustrated by his characterization of the Special Counsel’s report, that he did not. Speaker Pelosi has even accused the A.G. of criminality, saying that he lied to Congress.

But recently, we learned that the current Attorney General has some links with highly secretive, ultra-conservative Catholic group Opus Dei. This relationship may help explain his apparent “ends justifies the means” strategy.

Just to recap, Opus Dei, literally meaning, "The Work of God" was founded in Spain 1928 by the priest Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer. He based its mission upon the idea that lay Catholics could achieve holiness without entering a religious order. It is a personal prelature – meaning that, unlike a diocese, is not territorial but is a combination of laity, clergy and prelates who undertake specific pastoral activities. It is known for recruiting very influential members, especially those simpatico with culturally conservative causes. To describe its many wealthy and powerful leaders as economic royalists would be an understatement.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/3/1855095/-Did-Opus-Dei-Teach-A-G-Barr-to-Puts-Away-His-Scruples

Other notable members of Opus Dei can be found at Link below. You’ll find, the traitor’s cabinet riddled with members, as well as the SC and other branches of of government. It is one of the evils that is hidden with and works to destroy and distort. Interestingly, spy for Russia Robert Hansen is/was also a member.

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2019/03/opus-deis-influence-on-the-u-s-judiciary/

Why do we care?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ausonius

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 08:35:39 PM »
Why do we care?

"We" do not , of course, but if you are a paranoid religion-hating Leftist, you are prepared to believe that Barr and the Trump Administration are plotting to turn us over to the Vatican.

Exactly how that could be accomplished in a country with the most armed pick-up trucks on the planet, I don't know!

Actually, I would prefer to be under Vatican control than under the rule of Califoolnia and New Yuck DEMS!   :-)
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
Wow, they're really reaching now.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 10:26:08 AM »
DUmmies:
Star Member CrispyQ (26,004 posts)

55. Rich (mostly) white men who believe they have the Divine right to rule over everyone else.

Also DUmmies:
John Kennedy 1960
Bobby Kennedy 1968
Al Gore 2000
John Kerry 2004
Beto 2018
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
My question about Opus Dei is do you get usable benefits from it? Like a senior citizen discount or something like that?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
Star Member Me is a member of Anus Stupiticus. :lmao: :lmao:

Like all the rest over at the dump, the place where stupidity is contageus. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 01:51:33 AM »

6. As one who once lived in Franco's Spain, and learned its history from Catalan dissidents

I developed an undying hatred of Opus Dei and anyone associated with it.
I've got bullshit on speed-dial for this one.

Yes, technically, "Franco's Spain" lasted until 1975, but being an oppressive regime effectively ended in the early '50s.  So if DUmmie DFW is, say, 65 years old right now, he may have technically "lived in Franco's Spain," but he was far too young to remember any sort of oppression as the rest of us know it in "Franco's Spain."  He would have to be closer to about 80 years old to be able to genuinely say that he somehow suffered in Spain under Franco.  After about 1953, Spain had one of the best economies on the planet, and by any reasonable measure today, they were a pretty free society.  Not American-standard free, but certainly as free as pretty much all of the rest of Europe at that time.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 09:36:15 AM »

And was not smart enough to "consider the source"! It doesn't take immense intelligence to realize that people who hate a country are not likely to give the most accurate and balanced account of the hated nation's history. So, wrt Opus Dei, here are things of which DFW is ignorant:

Opus Dei

Initially, Opus Dei was open only to men, but in 1930, Escrivá started to admit women (less than two years after founding), based on what he believed to be a communication from God. In 1936, the organization suffered a temporary setback with the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War, as many Catholic priests and religious figures, including Escrivá, were forced into hiding (the Catholic Church actively supported the Nationalist-Fascist rebels). The many atrocities committed during the civil war included the murder and rape of religious figures by anti-Franco Anarchists. After the civil war was won by General Francisco Franco, Escrivá was able to return to Madrid. Escrivá himself recounted that it was in Spain where Opus Dei found "the greatest difficulties" because of traditionalists who he felt misunderstood Opus Dei's ideas. Despite this, Opus Dei flourished during the years of the Franquismo, spreading first throughout Spain, and after 1945, expanding internationally.

Biographical Timeline of St. Josemaria Escriva

1936 (July) - 1939 (April) The Spanish Civil War.

1936 At the outbreak of the civil war in July, abandons the student residence, stops dressing as a priest, and goes into hiding at various houses. In October, takes refuge in a psychiatric clinic, the Casa de Reposo y Salud, directed by his friend Dr. Suils.

1937 March: the clinic becomes too dangerous and he takes refuge at the Honduran Legation with a few other members of Opus Dei.
October: leaves Madrid for Barcelona. November: crosses the Pyrenees into Andorra on foot with members of Opus Dei and others. December: reenters Spain in the Nationalist zone and arrives in San Sebastian.

The Civil War

August 30, 1936. For a bit more than a month Spain has been split into two factions, increasingly squaring off in a fratricidal war. The life of Father Josemaría, like that of so many other priests, is at risk. He moves from one hiding place to another. Militiamen hang a man who looks like him, right in front of his mother’s house, thinking that it was he. Now he is in the home of some friends, together with Juan — one of the first members of the Work — and a young man he met only two days previously. About two in the afternoon, a group of soldiers, sweeping the neighborhood in an intense manhunt for enemies, rings the bell. Catholics, especially priests and religious, are prime targets. ...
With the outbreak of the war, the few members of Opus Dei were forced to scatter. The Father — as he had come to be called familiarly by his spiritual sons — moved from one shelter to another, always in danger. With heroic fortitude he declined a few secure hiding places that were unsuited to his priestly condition. At times the safest place was the street, where he walked from morning until night blending into the crowd.
For a number of months he found temporary haven in a psychiatric clinic, feigning madness with the complicity of its director, Dr. Suils. At last he was able to obtain entrance for himself and several companions at the consulate of Honduras. Its diplomatic status guaranteed a modicum of safety. Sites such as this one were packed with refugees, food was scarce, the atmosphere depressed and tense. ...
But how long would this war go on? When would the persecution end? How long could he be stuck in this situation, without being able to begin the expansion of the Work? He thought it over and consulted with the young men who followed him. Yes, it was necessary to cross over to the other part of Spain where a normal Christian life was possible. The only practical way, although it held no guarantee of success, was to cross the Pyrenees and get there by way of France. It was September 1937.

What utterly pathetic is that, not ever having been a Catholic, I found this quite easily via W'pedia and one of the key footnotes to W'pedia's article. I did this being familiar with DU-folks' penchants for arrogant ignorance and blatant lying, and found pretty much what I expected. DFW's ignorance is so compounded by arrogance that he would not even bother to learn a little of Opus Dei's history. But then I suppose he regards the "Republicans" ("Loyalists") as heroes rather than the Stalin-supported thug-wannabes (and sometime thugs) they actually were.

WRT Opus Dei, the Republicans/Loyalists (W'pedia disingenuously calls them "Anarchists" to dissociate the violent thugs from who they were), like good Stalinists were hunting down and murdering Catholic priests, nuns, and other leaders. Fr. Escriva lived on the run from the thugs hunting him for over a year and a half, and finally escaped Spain and reentered into the zone controlled by the Nationalists (Franco). Judging by the W'pedia article, it sounds like the 1940s onward Franco era wasn't an easy time for Opus Dei, but at least Franco's government didn't try to hunt down and kill Opus Dei leaders.