Author Topic: Study: 22% of Millennials are unaware or unsure of what the Holocaust is  (Read 1586 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member blondebanshee (248 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212043642

Study: 22% of Millennials are unaware or unsure of what the Holocaust is
The study was conducted by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany. Eleven percent of U.S. adults haven't heard or are unsure of what the Holocaust was.

Sixty-six percent of Millennials and 41 percent of adults don't know what Auschwitz is.

Star Member sinkingfeeling (38,848 posts)

3. Shocking. What has become of our educational system?

What indeed...

Star Member CrispyQ (25,976 posts)

52. Standardized testing.

The GOP has focused on filling positions in Boards of Education since the 1980s. They had a long term strategy & it's paying off.

And sports. This country is sports crazed. It's obscene how much many universities pay their sports coaches. And even at a high school level sports is often emphasized/supported more than academics.

:thatsright:

Star Member ecstatic (24,368 posts)

14. I'm sure this is by design, but I find it disgusting that those in control of the curriculum/textbooks/etc have systematically whitewashed history with regard to slavery, the Holocaust, Native Americans, etc. Again, I think it's by design, but I don't think it's going to work out the way they intended. When citizens become overwhelmingly ignorant of history, the entire country is at risk of failing, and yes, that affects the 1% as well.

:thatsright:

Volaris (6,331 posts)

41. How the **** is this POSSIBLE???

Oh wait, Betsy Devos...nuff said, I guess

Still...

Star Member Mariana (8,768 posts)

43. DeVos had nothing to do with educating Millennials.

They were out of high school before she was appointed to her position.

:lmao:

Volaris (6,331 posts)

44. Technically that's true...but her and her ilk have been with us in one form or another Since the founding of the public education system.

One of the questions I'd like her asked in Public:

Would your various companies have made nearly as much money if the workforce you employ, consisted ONLY of rich kids whos parents could AFFORD to teach them to read?

'crickets.'

That's what the **** I thought.

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

Joe941 (1,381 posts)

45. Where there is ignorance repukes thrive.

:whatever:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

I'd look toward public schools, teachers unions, and states' Superintendents of Public Instruction, and states' textbook committees. Or for quickie clues, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and the leadership of the national Women's March group.

Personally, my public schools' US History classes tend to bog down in earlier eras, and WW2 got little or no mention (ditto WW1, which was skipped for the Great Depression). What I learned was due to my parents' promptings - e.g. library books chosen for me to read - and my own reading. From the 1970s onward, telling about US victory in wars probably became unfashionable in educational circles, and it's gotten worse as peacenik hippies became teachers.

ETA: Added clarification.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:26:53 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ChuckJ

Joe941 (1,381 posts)

45. Where there is ignorance repukes thrive.

So the DUmmie is saying the republicans thrive on DemocratUndergroud. I guess it is talking about all of the moles.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline DumbAss Tanker

To be honest it isn't really important to US history in particular, not that they have any grasp of that either.  It had nothing to do with why we got in WW2 or how we fought it, it was only in the very end that anyone outside the inner political/diplomatic circle became fully aware of it.  It's naturally huge to the generations that were contemporary with it of course, and naturally to the children they raised, but aside from leading to the establishment of Israel it actually had as much effect on us as the Armenian genocide a generation before, and that's something most of the Holocaust generation itself completely blew off.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

To be honest it isn't really important to US history in particular, not that they have any grasp of that either.  It had nothing to do with why we got in WW2 or how we fought it, it was only in the very end that anyone outside the inner political/diplomatic circle became fully aware of it.  It's naturally huge to the generations that were contemporary with it of course, and naturally to the children they raised, but aside from leading to the establishment of Israel it actually had as much effect on us as the Armenian genocide a generation before, and that's something most of the Holocaust generation itself completely blew off.

Strictly speaking that is correct. Probably the only concentration camp that the US might have been aware of before WW2 was Dachau, which was used for political prisoners. Bergen-Belsen and Treblinka opened after the US was in the war, and Auschwitz began just two months before the PH attack. As such, the extermination camps had no effect on the US entry into the war, and until very late, how the US went about its role in the war. Very late in the war, the US became aware of the camps and there was discussion of bombing the camps. Other than a symbol - IMO - I'm not sure what would have been accomplished. US and Brit bombing capabilities were too imprecise to shut down the camps, and far more inmates would have been killed than Nazi guards and administrative people.

The big lessons of the Holocaust are how evil antisemitism is and the extremes to which it will go, and that human beings are quite capable of truly awful things.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Republicans and conservatives have been controlling academia...who knew? :mental:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

Republicans and conservatives have been controlling academia...who knew? :mental:

:hi5: earned and issued!

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
The ignorance is on purpose. It might raise questions on which democrat president ignored it happening in Europe while also interning Japanese people at home.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Mr Mannn

It is easier to control the ignorant than people who understand and cherish freedom.

Offline YupItsMe

Yeah I got that drift, but I was distracted by a flying unicorn.

Offline SVPete

Yeah I got that drift, but I was distracted by a flying unicorn.

Lots of rainbow-poop to dodge.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Star Member sinkingfeeling (38,848 posts)

3. Shocking. What has become of our educational system?

Unions and liberal progressives pushing Their agenda, as well as diversity, going to the lowest common denominator.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
I think that 33% of millennials don't know what a job is, especially those in blue states.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne