Author Topic: Civilian Casualties Drop Dramatically In Iraq  (Read 6426 times)

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
Civilian Casualties Drop Dramatically In Iraq
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »
By Ross Colvin

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Violent civilian deaths in Iraq in December were down 75 percent from a year ago, new figures released on Monday showed as Iraqis partied in the streets of some parts of the capital Baghdad to bring in the New Year.

A year ago, the scenes of unrestrained revelry would have been unthinkable in a country racked by savage sectarian violence that by the most conservative estimates has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced some 4 million.

According to figures compiled by the interior, health and defense ministries, 481 civilians died violently in Iraq in December, a 75 percent drop from the 1,930 who were killed in December 2006, when the country was on the brink of civil war.

Since then, the U.S. military has adopted a new counter- insurgency strategy, Sunni Arab tribes have rebelled against al Qaeda, and anti-American Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr has ordered his Mehdi Army militia to observe a six-month ceasefire.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCACOL16978920071231
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
Re: Civilian Casualties Drop Dramatically In Iraq
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 03:36:31 PM »
Not a good time to be a liberal or a ronbot, huh?   :usflag:
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »
We've been telling those fools this from the get go. They're all just like that fool Blarch. Anytime a liberal is proved wrong, they move on to something else without even acknowledging they were wrong in the first damn place.  :lalala:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »
We've been telling those fools this from the get go. They're all just like that fool Blarch. Anytime a liberal is proved wrong, they move on to something else without even acknowledging they were wrong in the first damn place.  :lalala:

Admitting mistakes takes honor and humility.  Something that the libs and ronbots are severly lacking.

C.S. Lewis

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:29:33 PM »

Admitting mistakes takes honor and humility
.  Something that the libs and ronbots are severly lacking.

This is the God's honest truth. Something I've been trying to tell my own father for a long long time. Sorry, off topic :thatsright:

Offline PatrioticAmerican

• Probationary (Probie)
  • God, Family, Country. Borders, Language, Culture!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
In fifteen years, the Lefts will continue to revise history in an effort to paint the Iraqis' liberation from Saddam and Al Queda by President Bush as the worst crime of the past century.

The Iraqis, meantime, will know freedom and prosperity.

I detest Liberals. They are truly selfish, evil-driven people.

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »

Admitting mistakes takes honor and humility.  Something that the libs and ronbots are severly lacking.

I commission the work of a small model painting company for a hobby of mine.  The owner of the company is quite an avid Ron Paul supporter.  Honor and Humulity is not something I find him lacking in.  He sometimes makes mistakes with his customers projects, and he's very quick to admit it, and take actions to correct it.  My most recent commission turned out not nearly what I was hoping for, and without me even asking for recompense, he offered me a $50 discount on my next job.

My point?  Sometimes broad brush strokes aren't right.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:38:38 PM »

I commission the work of a small model painting company for a hobby of mine.  The owner of the company is quite an avid Ron Paul supporter.  Honor and Humulity is not something I find him lacking in.  He sometimes makes mistakes with his customers projects, and he's very quick to admit it, and take actions to correct it.  My most recent commission turned out not nearly what I was hoping for, and without me even asking for recompense, he offered me a $50 discount on my next job.

My point?  Sometimes broad brush strokes aren't right.

Is the owner a Ron Paul supporter or is he a full on ronbot?

C.S. Lewis

Offline Dustin

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 09:35:48 AM »
That's good news but will the deaths really stay down when the USA leaves Iraq?

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:17:07 AM »
Not a good time to be a liberal or a ronbot, huh?   :usflag:

They will resort to their typical tactic of ignoring this news and placing their focus of negativity elsewhere.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline lastparker

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 03:44:32 PM »
And then the DUmp runs the numbers through their magical "duplication machine":

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3121452

cal04  (1000+ posts)       Wed Jan-02-08 06:34 AM
Original message
24,000 civilian Iraqi deaths in 2007
 Source: The Daily Telegraph

US-LED coalition and paramilitary forces in Iraq were responsible for some 24,000 violent civilian deaths in 2007, according to an independent group monitoring casualties in the war-ravaged country.

The Iraq Body Count (IBC) whose figures are tallied from media reports, morgue and hospital data, non-governmental and other sources, said in a report that there were between 22,586 and 24,159 violent civilian deaths in Iraq during the past year.

"Perhaps the most accurate description of the security situation for Iraqi civilians in the past year is that it was less bad than if the worst of the late 2006 levels had been sustained throughout 2007," the group said in a statement.

The IBC lamented security that "remains at an abysmally low level" in much of the country.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,229...

Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:56:50 PM »
So how long before they start lamenting on the lack of work for cemetary workers again?  :whatever:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle