Author Topic: Why Does Each State Have Two Senators, Regardless of Population?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212004820

MineralMan
Why Does Each State Have Two Senators, Regardless of Population?

That seems unfair to a lot of people, but there is a reason for it. When the United States was founded, many worried about the populous states having an undue influence on legislation that might be passed by the new Congress. So, a bicameral legislature was created. One part, the House of Representatives was based on the concept of "one person, one vote." The number of House members each state got was based on that state's population.

That was just what the founders were afraid of, so they set up a second body in Congress - the Senate. Its membership was based on the idea that each state in this new United States would have equal representation, with two Senators from each state having seats in the Senate. The idea was balancing the power of the citizen against the power of the separate states. Both bodies were required to pass all new legislation. That was designed to prevent either body from misusing its power to control things.

And that was the idea. The United States of America is not a democracy. It is a Representative Republic. Both the people and the states are represented in its Congress to form a legislative body that supposedly would create balanced legislation. Sometimes it works as intended; sometimes it doesn't.

But that's why it is as it is.

Changing that would require a major constitutional amendment. Such an amendment would probably fail in the house that would be changed the most. About the only way that change could be made would be through a Constitutional Convention, something that has never been called during the nation's existence.

Now there are a bunch of interesting comments here, but I want to point something out and I hope a DUmmie will be bold enough to come explain it to us knuckle draggers.

zipplewrath
35. Not just Blue vs Red
As long as this nation has been around there has been some variation of "rural vs urban". Originally it was more "merchant vs. agrarian" But you can't have a country in which a minority view (what ever that view is) is in control of governing.

Here’s what I would like to know because I see this posted by multiple liberals on DU and Facebook.

You keep saying you want to live by popular vote and as demonstrated above, you think the minority should not govern the majority “whatever that view is”, yet schools and stadiums are being told they MUST have transgender bathrooms. Bakers are being told they MUST bake cakes for gay weddings. States have been told they MUST allow gay marriage.

I live in Texas. The majority here voted to amend our state constitution to not recognize gay marriage, many years ago. I don’t care if you agree with it or not, the MAJORITY voted to amend our state constitution and a MINORITY told us we couldn’t keep it that way.

So what is it, what do you want?  Majority rule?  Minority rule?  Representative rule?  Oh, I know ... YOUR rule, whatever it is.

Please come explain to this mouth breather how your ‘enlightened’ view of the world works.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Re: Why Does Each State Have Two Senators, Regardless of Population?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
Did MM finally pass his state's 8th Grade US Constitution Test? And want to share what he learned?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
Did MM finally pass his state's 8th Grade US Constitution Test? And want to share what he learned?

Meh. Copy and paste is all that it did, MM still has no clue what is in the constitution. eg. ask MM what militia or well regulated means in the 2nd.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »
Quote from:
MineralMan

One part, the House of Representatives was based on the concept of "one person, one vote."

Huh!?! Did rockhead forget that, for the most part, only males who were land owners could vote (actually, who was and was not eligible to vote was determined by the individual States)?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 09:23:57 PM »
Huh!?! Did rockhead forget that, for the most part, only males who were land owners could vote (actually, who was and was not eligible to vote was determined by the individual States)?

Not to mention the senate/senators were originally designed to represent the state governments.

Dummies and libs want to change the constitution so they can take over the federal government.

Scratch a liberal find a fascist.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:49:54 AM »
Because retards like CA, NY, NJ, DE, VT, MA and others are....well retards.  Stupid question... next?

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 05:24:40 PM »
time to send this DUmbass a full set of Schoolhouse Rock.  Although it is above its IQ level they amy help in remedial civics.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 11:52:01 AM »
Just when you think that AOC is at the bottom of the stupid pool you find some other bottom dweller that goes lower.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
Apparently, these traitorous cretins don't know Google is a search engine that can find answers questions to questions like that.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »
Mineral Man has actually stated FACTS into why the senate was designated as such, to represent the states. Even I couldn't give as succinct and accurate a summation (though probably copy/pasted from a relatively moron-free source).

I'm surprised that he isn't taken to task for posting the facts, tbh.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
maxsolomon (18,213 posts)

22. Burn the Senate to the Ground.

Not only is it undemocratic and barely "representational", it is filled with some one the worst humans in the country. Elderly, tottering grandees, blathering know-nothings whose only purpose is to stall progress, and whose only qualification is wealth or connections.

McConnell has been there for THIRTY ******* YEARS
. How old was that racist hypocrite Strom Thurmond when he left, 99? He served from 1954 to 2002!

My niece was a Senate Page, and every time we spoke, I asked her to kick a Republican in the nuts. She never did, though...
Patrick Leahy is the longest serving senator, he has been there 44 years.  :whistling:
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
Patrick Leahy is the longest serving senator, he has been there 44 years.  :whistling:

Grand Klegal of the KKK Robert Bird served 51 years. Just sayin.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 07:42:58 PM »
Grand Klegal of the KKK Robert Bird served 51 years. Just sayin.
Kind of off topic, but in the wake of tearing down all the Confederate memorials, when will wv be renaming the Robert c bird freeway? Having one named after a grand dragon seems the height of hypocrisy
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Delmar

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »
Kind of off topic, but in the wake of tearing down all the Confederate memorials, when will wv be renaming the Robert c bird freeway? Having one named after a grand dragon seems the height of hypocrisy

Were it only one.

List of places named after Robert Byrd
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope in Green Bank, West Virginia.
Robert C. Byrd Academic and Technology Center, Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Academic and Technology Center, Marshall University Graduate College in South Charleston, West Virginia[9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Auditorium, National Conservation Training Center in Shepherdstown, West Virginia[9][10][11]
Robert C. Byrd Biotechnology Science Center, Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia[6][9][10][12][13]
Robert C. Byrd Cancer Research Laboratory, West Virginia University in Morgantown, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies, Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, West Virginia[9][10][14]
Robert C. Byrd Center for Pharmacy Education, University of Charleston in Charleston, West Virginia[9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Center for Rural Health, Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia[6][9]
Robert C. Byrd Clinical Teaching Center, Charleston Area Medical Center Memorial Hospital in Charleston, West Virginia[9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope, Green Bank, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Hardwood Technologies Center, Princeton, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Health and Wellness Center, Bethany College in Bethany, West Virginia[9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University in Morgantown, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center Charleston Division, Charleston, West Virginia[9]
Robert C. Byrd High School, Clarksburg, West Virginia[6][9][15]
Robert C. Byrd Institute for Advanced Flexible Manufacturing (RCBI) Bridgeport Manufacturing Technology Center, Bridgeport, West Virginia[9][10][16]
RCBI Charleston Manufacturing Technology Center, South Charleston, West Virginia[6][9][10][16]
RCBI Huntington Manufacturing Technology Center, Huntington, West Virginia[9][10][16]
RCBI Rocket Center Manufacturing Technology Center, Rocket Center, West Virginia[9][10][16][17]
Robert C. Byrd Institute for Composites Technology and Training Center, Bridgeport, West Virginia[9]
Robert C. Byrd Library, Wheeling, West Virginia[9]
Robert C. Byrd Library and Robert C. Byrd Learning Resource Center, University of Charleston in Beckley[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Life Long Learning Center, Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College in Moorefield, West Virginia[9]
Robert C. Byrd Life Long Learning Center, West Virginia University in Morgantown, West Virginia[10]
Robert C. Byrd Metals Fabrication Center, Rocket Center, West Virginia[9][10][17]
Robert C. Byrd National Aerospace Education Center, Bridgeport, West Virginia (affiliated with Fairmont State University)[9][10]
Robert C. Byrd National Technology Transfer Center, Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, West Virginia[6][9][18]
Robert C. Byrd Regional Training Institute, Camp Dawson near Kingwood, West Virginia[9]
Robert C. Byrd Science and Technology Center, Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Technology Center, Alderson–Broaddus College in Philippi, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd United Technical Center[6][10]
Commerce[edit]
Robert C. Byrd Hilltop Office Complex, Rocket Center, West Virginia[6][9][10][17]
Robert C. Byrd Industrial Park, Moorefield, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Community[edit]
Robert C. Byrd Community Center, Pine Grove, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Community Center, Sugar Grove, West Virginia[6][10]
Government[edit]
Robert C. Byrd Rooms, Office of the West Virginia Senate Minority Leader, West Virginia State Capitol in Charleston, West Virginia[9]
Robert C. Byrd United States Courthouse and Federal Building, Beckley, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd United States Courthouse and Federal Building, Charleston, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Federal Correctional Institution, Hazelton, West Virginia[6][10]
Healthcare[edit]
Robert C. Byrd Clinic, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine in Lewisburg, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Clinical Addition to Veteran's Hospital, Huntington, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Recreation and tourism[edit]
Robert C. Byrd Addition to the Lodge at Oglebay Park, Wheeling, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Conference Center (also known as the Robert C. Byrd Center for Hospitality and Tourism), Davis & Elkins College in Elkins, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Visitor Center, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Transportation[edit]

The Robert C. Byrd Bridge crossing the Ohio River between Huntington, West Virginia and Chesapeake, Ohio.
Robert C. Byrd Appalachian Highway System, Appalachian Development Highway System in West Virginia[9][10][19]
Robert C. Byrd Bridge, crosses the Ohio River between Huntington, West Virginia and Chesapeake, Ohio[6][9][10][19]
Robert C. Byrd Bridge, Ohio County, West Virginia[19]
Robert C. Byrd Drive, West Virginia Routes 16 and 97 between Beckley and Sophia, West Virginia[6][10]
Robert C. Byrd Expressway, United States Route 22 near Weirton, West Virginia[6][9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Freeway, United States Route 119 between Williamson and Charleston, West Virginia (also known as Corridor G)[6][9]
Robert C. Byrd Highway, United States Route 48 between Weston, West Virginia and the Virginia state line near Wardensville, West Virginia (also known as Corridor H)[6][19]
Robert C. Byrd Interchange on Interstate 77[9]
Robert C. Byrd Interchange on United States Route 19, Birch River, West Virginia[9][19]
Robert C. Byrd Intermodal Transportation Center, Wheeling, West Virginia[9][10]
Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam, Ohio River in Gallipolis Ferry, West Virginia[6][9][10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_named_after_Robert_Byrd
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
Not to mention the senate/senators were originally designed to represent the state governments.

Dummies and libs want to change the constitution so they can take over the federal government.

Scratch a liberal find a fascist.

These days you don't even have to scratch'em.
They don't even bother to put on the mask anymore.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980