Author Topic: Jury rejects Dingy Harry ThighMaster lawsuit. Womp womp.  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Delmar

Jury rejects Dingy Harry ThighMaster lawsuit. Womp womp.
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
Sat Apr 6, 2019, 06:03 AM
Star Member Eugene (41,550 posts)

Las Vegas jury rejects Harry Reid lawsuit against fitness band maker

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).
Source: Associated Press

LAS VEGAS — A jury in Las Vegas flatly rejected former U.S. Sen. Harry Reid's lawsuit against an exercise band maker he blamed for injuries — including blindness in one eye — he suffered when the stretchy device slipped from his grasp and he fell face-first a little more than four years ago.

After eight days of testimony, the eight-member civil trial jury deliberated about an hour before declaring that Reid never proved the first of 10 questions they were asked to decide: that the device Reid used that day was a TheraBand made by Ohio-based Hygenic Corp.

Jurors never saw the actual device because Reid's adult son, attorney Leif Reid, disposed of it soon after Harry Reid was injured.

Reid and his wife, Landra Gould, weren't in the courtroom when the verdict was read. The 79-year-old former Democratic Party leader used a wheelchair throughout the two-week trial, following treatment for pancreatic cancer and back surgery.

-snip-

April 5, 2019, 11:27 PM EDT
By Associated Press

Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/las-vegas-jury-rejects-harry-reid-lawsuit-against-fitness-band-n991636

4 replies, 824 views
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142299122

Only 4 replies.  The neck beard locked it, but it had been up for about four hours--goes to show you how interested the primitives are in the lives of politicians who are out of power and out of the business of handing out the free shit.

Response to Eugene (Original post)Sat Apr 6, 2019, 07:54 AM
Star Member woodsprite (8,976 posts)
1. That sounds like a correct decision to me.

I’ve used therabands frequently, both the straight kind and the continual loop. Just like any other piece of exercise equipment, you have to know how to use it, check it’s condition (no tears or weak spots), and use with care (make sure you have a good grip on it). You also have to make sure you’re using the appropriate strength for your ability
Whether it was some pissed off Vegas mobsters that kicked his ass or a broken ThighMaster that put his eye out, it doesn't matter:  It was his own damn fault. Dingy Harry doesn't get other people's money this time.

Response to woodsprite (Reply #1)Sat Apr 6, 2019, 08:07 AM
Star Member Maxheader (1,751 posts)
2. I thought harry was on an exercise machine, like a weider...

and the low or high bar cable broke and slapped him in the head..

Know nothing about the stretch/flex equipement...but it looks kinda
hard to hurt yourself on?

More primitives believe Jussie Smollett than believe Dingy Harry.

Response to Maxheader (Reply #2)Sat Apr 6, 2019, 08:58 AM
Star Member BumRushDaShow (40,671 posts)
3. The Therabands are literally just latex (or a non-latex version also available) strips

There's no "machinery" involved. Some versions have pre-formed loops on each end to grab (or put a foot through), others are a continuous loop like a huge rubber band, and the most common used by home-health PT/OT folks are just straight pieces of "rubber". The thicknesses of the bands are color-coded and standardized (within this brand) to mimic the resistance generated as if one were using a weight for strength training. I had never heard of them or seen them until a relative ended up in PT and was using them there (and ending up getting a set for home).

I can see how if you are going through an exercise with one and are not careful, it can suddenly slip out of your hands or slip out from under a foot/leg, snapping back like a huge thick rubber band.
This primitive is going to give Dingy Harry the benefit of the doubt, for old times' sake.

Response to Eugene (Original post)Sat Apr 6, 2019, 12:13 PM
Star Member Omaha Steve (68,099 posts)
4. After a review by forum hosts...locking.

Not important news of national interest.
Aint you dead yet?
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline 67 Rover

Re: Jury rejects Dingy Harry ThighMaster lawsuit. Womp womp.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »
What, is he hard up for some cash? He screwed the American people for years, nowe he is trying to screw some company foe "alleged" injuries. :thatsright: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:43 PM »
Oh yeah, sure, sure.

Omaha Steve didn't lock the thread because the topic wasn't of important news of national interest.

The hirsute-necked big guy locked the thread because it embarrassed a fellow Democrat.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »
The verdict was reached within an hour. Because Reid could not prove he was using that mfr's product ... Reid's son threw the thing away after the accident. That's the story at least. Since the jury saw no proof of what Reid used it could not find in Reid's favor. There were other problems with his case, but the jury didn't get that far.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ausonius

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
So will Dingy Harry be reimbursing the legal expenses to the Ohio company...with interest and penalties?  Will his lawyers be disbarred for bringing an obviously frivolous lawsuit before a judge?

No, because Nevada is one of the most corrupt states in the union, and no, because the judge who accepted the case to begin with was obviously an idiot.

"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
Reid and his wife, Landra Gould, weren't in the courtroom when the verdict was read. The 79-year-old former Democratic Party leader used a wheelchair throughout the two-week trial, following treatment for pancreatic cancer and back surgery.

sounds like dingy harry's golden years ain't looking so golden...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »
sounds like dingy harry's golden years ain't looking so golden...

Well, he certainly will have less gold after he gets the lawyer's bill for this frivolous lawsuit (even if he had retained the resistance band I think he would have lost).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »
Well, he certainly will have less gold after he gets the lawyer's bill for this frivolous lawsuit (even if he had retained the resistance band I think he would have lost).

yep.  it sounds like the resistance band did exactly what it was designed to do:  resist and rebound.  It's not the fault of the manufacturer if the dumbass using the resistance band doesn't have the strength or intelligence not to cause harm to hisself.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
More problems with the Dingy Lawsuit:

Harry Reid Lost His Civil Lawsuit Against TheraBand (Opposing Counsel Noted His Problems Telling The Truth)

Former Senator Harry Reid lost his civil case against TheraBand last week. Reid was seriously injured in 2015 while exercising with the band in his bathroom. He later sued the manufacturer claiming the product was unsafe for use by elderly people like himself. But during the trial, attorney Laurin Quiat who represented the company that manufacturers TheraBand, showed clips of Reid telling various stories about his injury, some of which contradicted things he said on the stand during the trial. Quiat argued that Harry Reid seemed to have difficulty telling the truth, which won’t surprise anyone who is familiar with Harry Reid. ...
According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, after playing the clips showing Reid telling various stories that differed from his testimony in the case, Quiat concluded, “The one thing we do know is he struggles with telling the truth.” Well, duh.

But it seems the biggest problem with Reid’s case wasn’t his shifting stories, it was the fact that he couldn’t even prove the band he’d been using that day was manufactured by the people he had sued. That’s because his son threw it away after the accident.