Author Topic: Demos, primitives, malcontents, the least tolerant people, lib mag finds  (Read 938 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/03/us-counties-vary-their-degree-partisan-prejudice/583072/

I really don't know why this is any surprise, myself as a Republican and a conservative being constantly exposed to harassment and criticism from people who think they're smarter than the rest of us.

For the record, as the map in the article shows, flyover Nebraska--and Kansas--rank as the most tolerant states in the country, although New York (mostly upstate), North Carolina, and Idaho don't do so badly either.

This is a lib mag and a lib study, keep in mind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Geography of Partisan Prejudice
A guide to the most—and least—politically open-minded counties in America

…..The Atlantic asked PredictWise, a polling and analytics firm, to create a ranking of counties in the U.S. based on partisan prejudice (or what researchers call “affective polarization”). The result was surprising in several ways. First, while virtually all Americans have been exposed to hyper-partisan politicians, social-media echo chambers, and clickbait headlines, we found significant variations in Americans’ political ill will from place to place, regardless of party.....

…..In general, the most politically intolerant Americans, according to the analysis, tend to be whiter, more highly educated, older, more urban, and more partisan themselves.....By contrast, many nonwhite Americans routinely encounter political disagreement. They have more diverse social networks, politically speaking, and therefore tend to have more complicated views of the other side, whatever side that may be...…

…..the most politically intolerant county in America appears to be Suffolk County, Massachusetts, which includes the city of Boston. In this part of the country, nine out of every 10 couples appear to share the same partisan leaning, according to the voter-file data. Eight out of every 10 neighborhoods are politically homogeneous. This means that people in Boston may have fewer “cross-cutting relationships,” as researchers put it. It is a very urban county with a relatively high education level. All these things tend to correlate with partisan prejudice.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Eight out of every 10 neighborhoods are politically homogeneous. This means that people in Boston may have fewer “cross-cutting relationships,” as researchers put it.

This isn't by chance either.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.