Author Topic: America needs a civics lesson.  (Read 647 times)

Offline Mary Ann

America needs a civics lesson.
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:19 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211640590
kentuck (89,686 posts)

How does the legislative process work?

The President is in charge of the Executive Branch. He takes care that the laws are duly executed.

The House and Senate are in charge of the Legislative Branch. Legislation must be passed by both the House and Senate and signed by the President before it can become a law.

The Judiciary Branch, including the Supreme Court, can rule on the constitutionality of the laws passed by the Congress and signed by the President.

Politicians in Washington are not adhering to the rules of our Constitution.
Surprisingly, I agree with Kentuck's premise; however, I don't think he really comprehends what he's written. He supports a party that thinks the judicial branch should give "progressives" everything they can't get through the Congress. He supports a party that believed that Obama's pen and phone should enable him to do everything he couldn't get through Congress. Kentuck is so dumb he writes the truth, but misses the point.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: America needs a civics lesson.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
kentuck (89,686 posts)

The President is in charge of the Executive Branch. He takes care that the laws are duly executed.

The House and Senate are in charge of the Legislative Branch. Legislation must be passed by both the House and Senate and signed by the President before it can become a law.

The Judiciary Branch, including the Supreme Court, can rule on the constitutionality of the laws passed by the Congress and signed by the President.

Politicians in Washington are not adhering to the rules of our Constitution.
So long as progressive laws are passed by a progressive legislature, enforced by a progressive executive branch and upheld by a progressive majority on supreme court, KT is fine with that process. Change progressive to conservative and KT would say the process is broken.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
There's a few details ht glossed over. Bills must pass both Houses of Congress. That's why O-C's lunacies won't become law, even if Miss Nancy and the House pass them. And then, bills must either be signed into law by the President or his veto overridden by 2/3 vote in both Houses. IOW, Miss Nancy can obstruct until the political heat gets too great, but the Senate and President Trump will block any lunacies she lets slip through the House.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
kentuck (89,686 posts)

let me help you there..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
Ask a garden variety person.  Of any political view.  What happens if a President is impeached?  I'd be willing to wager 75+% think it means automatic removal from office.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
The House and Senate are in charge of the Legislative Branch.

No.  The HOR and senate are the legislative branch period. That's it. Finieto.

DUmpmonkeys need a real education on REALITY and everything else other than mooching.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.