Author Topic: Baby, It's Cold Outside' composer's daughter speaks out, argues it's not 'a date  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Baby, It's Cold Outside' composer's daughter speaks out, argues it's not 'a date rape song'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/12/07/baby-its-cold-composers-daughter-speaks-out-controversy-not-date-rape/2237598002/

The "Baby, It's Cold Outside" controversy continues.

The daughter of the song's original composer is speaking out against critics of the song, arguing that her father, Frank Loesser, had no ill intentions when writing it.

"Bill Cosby ruined it for everybody," Susan Loesser, 74, told NBC News on Thursday. “Way before #MeToo, I would hear from time to time people call it a date rape song. I would get annoyed because it’s a song my father wrote for him and my mother to sing at parties. But ever since Cosby was accused of drugging women, I hear the date rape thing all the time."

Baby, It's Cold Outside is played during Christmas despite not being a Christmas song.

How is this song even offensive??????????????????? :bs:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Because liberals are offended by everything.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Online Muddling 2

Geez.  This song was written when the social mores dictated that women weren't supposed to be "interested" in sex and had to be persuaded.  It's a "seduction" song and dance for it's time. 
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I don't need to explain it in context, persuasion is inherently part of a sexual encounter unless you're talking to some Tinder ho who just wants a live dick instead of a plastic one.  All this rape culture bullshit is raping my culture and they can all just STFU and turn it off if they don't like it, or start their own damn' radial station that features all the top vegan organic PIV-is-rape classic artists and hits.  Of course it would go broke in about two days because there aren't any.

F all that noise attacking or defending it on grounds that are intellectualized, ignorant-of-human garbage that is still undeniably garbage.

And furthermore, IIRC the song doesn't get around to indicating it's anything more than a makeout session, the boinking is all an assumption, it's actually Schroedinger's porking, it is unclear what is really going on and she is both porked and unporked until someone interrupts the uncertainty by sticking their nose in the door...like a lot of romantic songs from that era.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:31:56 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
I like porking fireside.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DLR Pyro

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Cambiar

• Probationary (Probie)
Some people will look for any little thing to be offended by. The song clearly was a flirtatious encounter, with the lady protesting for form's sake.
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth ~ Col.3:2