Author Topic: You get to erase five bands from music history. Who do you choose?  (Read 44966 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
I'm stealing this from Fark.  My musical knowledge is severely lacking since it only goes back 15 or 20 years, but everyone has bands and performers they absolutely loathe.  So, what's your pick?  Who is the weakest link?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: You get to erase five bands from music history. Who do you choose?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »
Rick Astley
Nelson
The Dave Mathews Band
Cinderella
Hootie and the Blowfish
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »
Bon Jovi
Smashing Pumpkins
The Cure
Bob Dylan
Don Henley's solo career
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »
Tupak
Biggie Smalls
Madonna
Ice Cube
Run-DMC
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
I just got back from Fair Park amphitheater where they were busy setting up for the Judas Priest show tomorrow night.  I didn't know they were still churning and burning.

- Menudo (birth of the corporate boy bands)
- New Kids on the Block (product of the corporate boy bands)
- Hanson (did they really do any damage?)
- Strawberry Alarm Clock (my mind defaults to "Incense & Peppermints" when I'm tired)
- KC & The Sunshine Band (ok...they weren't COMPLETELY worthless)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:25 PM »
Judas Priest has a new album out.  The magazine ads are disturbing.  Rob Halford is in his full bar-trolling gay-biker outfit.  He makes that guy from the Village People look like Mister Rogers in comparison.

I'd rather see Iron Maiden.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 09:53:15 PM »
Judas Priest has a new album out.  The magazine ads are disturbing.  Rob Halford is in his full bar-trolling gay-biker outfit.  He makes that guy from the Village People look like Mister Rogers in comparison.

Oh!  The Village People!  Dang!  Why didn't I pick them?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »

Oh!  The Village People!  Dang!  Why didn't I pick them?

I put the Village People in with the Bee Gees and Abba.  Somewhat enjoyable but not overly offensive (musically speaking).

Offline Zeus

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:58:50 PM »
Lord Undies & Freedumb Know of what they talk. Dukenukem shows potential. Rest y'all should hang your heads in Shame  :evillaugh:  added edit: I just looked back that only left Chris,what's the problem dude.    :hammer:

I know there are more but the only band I can think of for sure that needed to never happen is Depoche Mode (commonly referred to as The Puke Mode )

all Modern day rock owes their existance to Deep Purple, Black Sabboth and perhaps Judas Priest.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:00:58 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49:01 PM »
Lord Undies & Freedumb Know of what they talk. Dukenukem shows potential. Rest y'all should hang your heads in Shame  :evillaugh:  added edit: I just looked back that only left Chris,what's the problem dude.    :hammer:

I know there are more but the only band I can think of for sure that needed to never happen is Depoche Mode (commonly referred to as The Puke Mode )

all Modern day rock owes their existance to Deep Purple, Black Sabboth and perhaps Judas Priest.
I actually met Hootie and the Blowfish once, in a way it was like that Beach Boys episode of Full House.

They came into this bar I was in, the bar tender got all excited because he was a guitar player in a band or something kids did in those days and one of the guys, the red haired one, came up to the bar and I ask, "oh, so you guys are a band?" and he said "yeah" somewhat defensively and so I asked which one and he said "Hootie and the Blowfish" and I said, "Oh, I've heard of you guys" which was true, but I had never heard their music at that time.

Back in those days, I mostly listened to NIN and Nirvana and such.

So, Hootie made my list because if they never existed then maybe NIN or Sound Garden or some hot chick band would have come into the bar and I would have a better story.

Curse them!  They're the whole reason why I'm not having grandchildren.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »
added edit: I just looked back that only left Chris,what's the problem dude.    :hammer:

Hey, I put my disclaimer up. :-) I'm only 33, and I grew up with MTV.  My musical knowledge is zip, zilch, nada.  :lmao:

I did my best.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:11 PM »

I actually met Hootie and the Blowfish once, in a way it was like that Beach Boys episode of Full House.

They came into this bar I was in, the bar tender got all excited because he was a guitar player in a band or something kids did in those days and one of the guys, the red haired one, came up to the bar and I ask, "oh, so you guys are a band?" and he said "yeah" somewhat defensively and so I asked which one and he said "Hootie and the Blowfish" and I said, "Oh, I've heard of you guys" which was true, but I had never heard their music at that time.

So, Hootie made my list because if they never existed then maybe NIN or Sound Garden or some hot chick band would have come into the bar and I would have a better story.

Hootie & the Blowfish are a borderline band. Ciderella shouldn't be on the list though. Sure they dressed strange but they were a good group of musicians. They actually play Blues pretty damn good.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 12:00:46 AM »

Hootie & the Blowfish are a borderline band. Ciderella shouldn't be on the list though. Sure they dressed strange but they were a good group of musicians. They actually play Blues pretty damn good.

One thing the Blowfish have is Darius Rucker.  He has an amazing voice.  Being an old singer myself, I tend to listen to the vocals more than the instruments.  Rucker rates 5 stars with me.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:06:28 AM »

All those kinds of bands like Cinderella sounded pretty much the same to me.  They are just the ones I can remember.  Nelson is in a separate category because they seemed like a hair band with a teeny bopper thing going on making them the double devil.  Or something.

Once I discovered Beethoven and Verdi, that's all the past.  Most of it is kind of simplistic and much of it is tedious and dull.  I say get rid of it all.  What has rock and roll ever done for anybody anyway?  Beethoven has selflessly saved lives on countless occasions and Verdi is like the Mother Teressa of music, always giving regardless of faith and/or politics.  Truly the saints of music.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Zeus

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 12:06:46 AM »

One thing the Blowfish have is Darius Rucker.  He has an amazing voice.  Being an old singer myself, I tend to listen to the vocals more than the instruments.  Rucker rates 5 stars with me.

Pretty much my take on them too. Without Darius the Blowfish would be doing peanut bar gigs. Haven't heard much of themin yrs so as far as I know they are doing peanut bar gigs.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »

Pretty much my take on them too. Without Darius the Blowfish would be doing peanut bar gigs. Haven't heard much of themin yrs so as far as I know they are doing peanut bar gigs.

We could degenerate this into a 1-hit-wonder thread...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 12:16:19 AM »

They have recorded, I think, seven albums in the last ten years.  None of the last six albums have sold like the first one (which was a MEGA success), but they have sold a respectable number of records.  Bands don't get to keep recording if they continually bomb.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

I like the Opera Band and the Aria projects by Paul Schwartz for vocals.  Obra mai fu from Schwartz, not exactly following the script but an excellent version of the song and I like Vita Mia from The Opera Band because it kind of juxtaposts the modern male vocal with the more operatic.

Here is a You Tube version but they do the English vocals more operatic then on the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbI8YDjNcSo

Really I don't care one way or the other about Hootie and the Blowfish, I just wish a cooler band had come into the bar.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Zeus

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 02:40:49 AM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFSft_X7Ls[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF0WdIbt0-s[/youtube]

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 11:25:30 PM »
Uh, back O/T...

Bon Jovi.  Convincing everyone that hair is all you need to be successful.  Talent need not apply.
Celine Dion.  No, my heart will not go on because I ripped it out rather than listen to your shit again.
Avril Lavigne.  Call her "punk", you spit teeth.
Michael Bolton.  No-talent ass-clown, indeed.

and finally....

Courtney Love/Hole.  If only she had been the one to eat the shotgun.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 11:40:31 PM »
- Everyone who won American Idol
- Every disco band
- All white rappers but Eminem
- Every "boy band"
- Madona

(is that cheating?)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
- Everyone who won American Idol
- Every disco band
- All white rappers but Eminem
- Every "boy band"
- Madona

(is that cheating?)

No, that sounds about right.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 11:52:25 PM »
I ran into this...kind of interesting, and the guy makes some good points, if a bit long-winded.

http://www.jericsmith.com/worstbands.htm
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:30 AM »
Europe
Falco
Re-Flex
Cinderella
Winger
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
DYLAN?  DYLAN?  It's not CHRIS JONES is it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYlhw3g4P8

:evillaugh: :tongue: