Author Topic: Eliminating waste in government  (Read 5071 times)

Online Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: Eliminating waste in government
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 04:43:15 AM »
Bravo. That ****ing ethanol subsidy irritates the shit out of me, especially when using it ****s up my small engines to the extent it does. Even my motorcycle.

:argh:

On ethanol and small engines, had quite a few friends who were flooded during Florence here in New Bern that the fuel lines and fuel line clamps on their generators failed due to ethanol.  Not to mention the hell it wreaks on boat engines.

You shouldn't use food for fuel and the goverment damn sure shouldn't be subsidizing it
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 07:57:18 AM »
Hi Tank,

As a young man, a high school classmate of mine took me to an army warehouse that was totally full of band instruments.  Why?  Their budgeting was such that they had to spend all the money or it would be cut the following year.  So they continued to buy instruments whether they needed them or not. 

I've heard of similar stories in the navy, even to the point of buying bass boats for recreational purposes.  Start with zero based budgeting..  Or, stop the automatic inflation adjusted increases and just freeze the budget for 2-3 years so they stop with the crap.

Regards,

This is an example of one of the biggest drivers of government waste: baseline budgeting.  The govt's budget has gotten so big and bloated that it takes over a year to go through it all, so they just say **** it and tack on 4% across the board.  Every year.  So by the time ten years rolls around, that 4% has grown to a 30+% growth, for the same job.

Constitutional Amendment: The budget cycle takes two years, starting with the first Congress after an election.  Congress must start with a blank page at the beginning of each cycle, cabinet departments get to put in their requests, and they figure it from there.  That's their constitutional duty.  Failure to produce a budget or producing a continuing resolution renders all members of HoR leadership (since that is their function) ineligible for reelection.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Bravo. That ****ing ethanol subsidy irritates the shit out of me, especially when using it ****s up my small engines to the extent it does. Even my motorcycle.

:argh:

I'll share my method with you...
It's a bit of work, but it's saved me a lot of heartache.
I have a 5 gal clear glass jug that I've fitted with a gate valve on a rubber stopper with a hose on it.
I put about 3 gallons of gasoline in it and mix in a gallon of water (too much water is better than not enough, make sure to exceed 20% just to be sure)... mix it well and multiple times by shaking it up. Then turn it upside-down on the stand and let it sit overnight. The water will bind with the alcohol and sink to the bottom, then just drain it off. Then you are back to almost pure gasoline again, free of the cursed alcohol that is so destructive to everything. You will lose about 2 points in octane though, so start with 91 or something if this is a problem (if you hear spark knock). Most small engines will operate on 86 without any trouble though.
Wouldn't really be a good method of you are going through 25 gallons of it a week, but a regular homeowner like myself, I only have to process maybe 30 gallons a year so it's not all that difficult once you acquire the stuff to do it with.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
Re: the ethanol issue

I have a free app on my phone called "Pure Gas" which lists all the stations in my area that carries ethanol free fuel. Fuels a little higher but I too use it for my mowers and other gas powered small engines.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »
You assume that we are the customers of government.

This is the core flaw in your argument.

Customers get to pick and choose what products or services to buy.

Government produces a metric ton of Absolutely Jack, and charges us for it whether we want it or not.  Government monopolizes certain services, taxes us to make them possible, requires us to use them, and if any are optional, charges us again to "enjoy" them.

Cut waste by gutting government.   It's the only way.

This needs to be put on a plaque and required to be on every congressman's wall.  :-)
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 12:35:56 AM »
Re: the ethanol issue

I have a free app on my phone called "Pure Gas" which lists all the stations in my area that carries ethanol free fuel. Fuels a little higher but I too use it for my mowers and other gas powered small engines.

One of the local convenience store chains around me (Stewart’s, who I worked for many years ago, in their warehouse) has ethanol-free 91 octane gas.  That reminds me that I have to burn off the ethanol-blend I have and refill the gas can with the ethanol-free stuff.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 04:07:29 AM »
I'll share my method with you...
It's a bit of work, but it's saved me a lot of heartache.
I have a 5 gal clear glass jug that I've fitted with a gate valve on a rubber stopper with a hose on it.
I put about 3 gallons of gasoline in it and mix in a gallon of water (too much water is better than not enough, make sure to exceed 20% just to be sure)... mix it well and multiple times by shaking it up. Then turn it upside-down on the stand and let it sit overnight. The water will bind with the alcohol and sink to the bottom, then just drain it off. Then you are back to almost pure gasoline again, free of the cursed alcohol that is so destructive to everything. You will lose about 2 points in octane though, so start with 91 or something if this is a problem (if you hear spark knock). Most small engines will operate on 86 without any trouble though.
Wouldn't really be a good method of you are going through 25 gallons of it a week, but a regular homeowner like myself, I only have to process maybe 30 gallons a year so it's not all that difficult once you acquire the stuff to do it with.

Great idea! For the record, I buy ethanol-free gas for my small engines. It's available where I live, but when I lived in Missouri a few years ago, it wasn't. I bought ethanol-free gas in small cans, which was a lot more expensive.

I didn't realize just how badly ethanol-laced gas screwed up small engines until I had to replace a couple of carburetors.

More than anything, though, ethanol in gasoline represents government overreach and feather-nesting. In the area of Missouri where I lived (north-central), there is a huge ethanol plant in Macon. Little wonder than ethanol-free gas wasn't available at that time. Maybe it is now -- don't know.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
Great idea! For the record, I buy ethanol-free gas for my small engines. It's available where I live, but when I lived in Missouri a few years ago, it wasn't. I bought ethanol-free gas in small cans, which was a lot more expensive.

I didn't realize just how badly ethanol-laced gas screwed up small engines until I had to replace a couple of carburetors.

More than anything, though, ethanol in gasoline represents government overreach and feather-nesting. In the area of Missouri where I lived (north-central), there is a huge ethanol plant in Macon. Little wonder than ethanol-free gas wasn't available at that time. Maybe it is now -- don't know.

Unfortunately for me, Ive been unable to ever locate anyone who sells it in my town...  closest place is over 50 miles away so I'm strapped with the task of removing it myself.
It's sucks having to do it, but it's really not all that much work I suppose