Author Topic: Judy grasswire does some stovetop cooking  (Read 1088 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Judy grasswire does some stovetop cooking
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:58:36 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/115774456

Oh my.

Grasswire2 (924 posts)     Mon Sep 17, 2018, 10:54 PM

Subbing cast iron skillet for oven

So....my oven has been out for a couple of weeks. The element actually caught fire one evening when I turned it on! My landlord is waiting for a new part to arrive (and is a little slow at repairs, too). And so I have been adapting dishes to stovetop with my trusty cast iron skillet.

Tonight I put together mac and cheese as I usually do, making the bechamel in a saute pan and adding cheese. Then I stirred in the cooked macaroni and then turned it all into my hot buttered cast iron skillet. Covered with some sliced Vermont cheddar and put on a lid. The hope was that the mac-cheese would brown a little bit on the bottom. And it did. Butter-fried mac and cheese. Slightly crispy on the bottom.

Last week I made eggplant parm by crisping up eggplant slices in the cast iron skillet and then putting a couple of slices on each plate, topping with tomato sauce laced with basil, then with mozzarella, and then with a gremolata that I had browned off in the skillet. Put it in the microwave to melt the cheese. Gremolata = stale sourdough or Italian bread crumbs whirled with chopped parsley, garlic, herbs, EVOO. Makes a very tasty savory crumb topping and is very adjustable. Umami.

Well now, that is an awfully complicated way to make macaroni and cheese.

Back when food didn't convulse in my stomach, I simply used to boil the macaroni, sieve out the water, put big chunks of butter on the bottom of the still-warm pot, dump the drained macaroni on that.  Then I'd stir it all up with the package of cheese mix.  Presto! macaroni and cheese.

Why the primitives insist on doing things the hard way, escapes me.

Kali (44,822 posts)      Mon Sep 17, 2018, 11:16 PM

2. a few years ago we had to replace parts of a gas line and spent a month with no gas other than

a camp stove plus the microwave and an electric skillet - the husband figured out how to make "fried" peanut butter cookies! they came out pretty good,

^^^the leader of the aloof, snobbish lorgnette-and-pearls crowd on DU Jr.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

Re: Judy grasswire does some stovetop cooking
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:05:35 AM »
Has she attempted sauteed earwigs, yet?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: Judy grasswire does some stovetop cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »
Grasswire2 (924 posts)     Mon Sep 17, 2018, 10:54 PM

Subbing cast iron skillet for oven

So....my oven has been out for a couple of weeks. The element actually caught fire one evening when I turned it on! My landlord is waiting for a new part to arrive (and is a little slow at repairs, too). And so I have been adapting dishes to stovetop with my trusty cast iron skillet.

Tonight I put together mac and cheese as I usually do, making the bechamel in a saute pan and adding cheese.
Snobby way to say "opened a jar of white sauce and poured it into a pan".

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke