Author Topic: quiet, calm Thanksgiving  (Read 8638 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
quiet, calm Thanksgiving
« on: November 26, 2018, 06:19:33 AM »
I spent Thanksgiving alone; it was a sunny but cool day with promise of snow, a perfect day for gazing out the windows and contemplating upon people no longer in this time and place.

I watched movies all day long.  It was great.

The first one was MacArthur from 1977, starring Gregory Peck. 

There were increased secretions of the lachrymal glands when I was listening to the late General’s final speech to the cadets at West Point in 1962, but actually the tears really flow when I’m reading—not watching, but reading—his deathbed scene in the biography by William Manchester.

I wonder if Harry Truman, who was pretty old but still mobile then, went to his funeral in 1964.  And Dwight Eisenhower.  I wouldn’t fault either of them if they hadn’t, but it would’ve nice if they’d buried the hatchet, and gone.

The second movie was Patton from 1970, starring George Scott.

Then I watched The Darkest Hour recently made, left wondering what happened to those guys abandoned (although there was no other choice) in Calais.

The fourth movie was Dunkirk from 2015, the most recent one.

The fifth movie was Dunkirk from 2004.

The sixth movie was Dunkirk from 1958.

The most-recent Dunkirk borrowed much from the oldest one.  Those two were essentially about everybody trying to get back to England from Dunkirk.  The middle Dunkirk was basically about everybody trying to get to Dunkirk so they could be carried away.

Incidentally, the same time the evacuation at Dunkirk was going on, there was another evacuation further north, bringing guys in from newly-abandoned Norway to Scotland; of course this was far overshadowed what was going on in Dunkirk, but one wonders if any movies might have been made about that.

There’s just something inspiring, looking at people who refuse to give up, who refuse to die.

The seventh and final movie was Sink the Bismarck from 1960.

I’d forgotten what I’d read before; the HMS Hood, once struck, went down in less than three minutes.  In the movie even, it was there, and oops, a split-second later, it was gone. 

As big as that ship was, it must’ve made a Hell of a bang, possibly even being heard as far away as Oslo and New York City.

So anyway, that’s what I did Thanksgiving.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: quiet, calm Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 06:37:56 AM »
Sounds relaxing.  All away from the hustle and bustle.  Even spending time with family, while enjoyable, is tiring for me.  As an extreme introvert I prefer solitude a lot of the time and that's what recharges my batteries.  Being married to an extreme extrovert, I tend to be around more people that I can handle for long periods of time.

Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving, frank!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: quiet, calm Thanksgiving
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »
Recently saw Dunkirk, too - the 2015 version. I was expecting some other type of presentation -- not the one that the director did. Entirely too focused on individuals rather than the overall larger picture, I think.

It's been a long time since I read American Caesar by William Manchester, and thus the deathbed scene doesn't resonate. I thought Manchester was entirely too complimentary of MacArthur, and the politics behind giving (that's what it was -- a gift) the Medal of Honor to him wasn't adequately addressed -- but I digress.

Glad you had a peaceful day, Frank.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.