Author Topic: Healdsburg High Football Team Calls It Quits After Crushing Shutout Losses  (Read 953 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Healdsburg High Football Team Calls It Quits After Crushing Shutout Losses
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/08/29/healdsburg-high-football-team-calls-it-quits-after-crushing-shutout-losses/

HEALDSBURG (KPIX 5) – After a pair of lopsided losses to start off the year, the Healdsburg High School football team has decided to turn in its uniforms and cancel the rest of the season.

The stands at Recreation Park will be a little lonelier this fall after the football players on the struggling Healdsburg High School Greyhounds quit for the remainder of the year.

“It’s gonna be missed in town,” said Healdsburg High Principal Bill Halliday.

They should not quit just because of two crushing losses. They should play on.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
Re: Healdsburg High Football Team Calls It Quits After Crushing Shutout Losses
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:38:57 AM »
I would agree that quitting is exactly the opposite message that football tries to teach, but when they will only have 4 players on the field, they can't really play.

They didn't vote to quit, they recognized that they were going to end up forfeiting every game of the season due to not having a team.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
My freshman year of high school, not only did we (I did not play football) not win a single game, but we scored eight points all season!  A touchdown and a safety.  For the whole season.  we lost all 11 or 12 games, I can't remember which (my HS yearbooks were destroyed as a result of an ice dam roof leak a few years ago).  By the time I was a senior, we actually won two-three games for the season.  My HS alma mater dropped football a few years ago, as they couldn't field a team.

The kids never gave up, though.  (There was a rumor that we were going to bring back football a few years ago, and ask a two-time Super Bowl-winning coach who lives in the area to coach the team.  Can you imagine the intimidation factor from knowing that the team you were going up against was coached by Bill Parcells?)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
Sounds like they're in the wrong league. My HS lost many more games than they won during my freshman and sophomore years - I had to attend every home game, since I was in the band - but after changing to a different league was league champion in my junior year (our senior QB went on to do well at San Diego State, and then was John Elway's back-up for several years at Denver). Unless lots of kids were getting hurt, shutting down the season was a foolish move, since any attempt to restart will be from near zero.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
My high school team hardly won a game but they never stopped playing and I doubt for a minute they bitched about it. Now days many years later our high school team has been winning most of its games and has even played for the state championship a few years back. It's all about working hard and never giving up. I can understand if you don't have anyone to play but giving up is not the right thing to learn from getting defeated.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"