Author Topic: How can we dupe millenials?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Karin

How can we dupe millenials?
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:17:04 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211020879

Sun Aug 19, 2018, 05:53 PM
 pnwmom (92,185 posts)

Is "Save the Internet" (net neutrality) an issue that could get more young people to vote?

Should we be pushing that issue more everywhere?

And how can we rebrand it for those who depend on the internet but don't know what net neutrality means?

And now they show what liars they are:

Response to pnwmom (Original post)
Sun Aug 19, 2018, 06:12 PM
OilemFirchen (5,095 posts)
4. No.

Way too complicated to figure out what's in it for them.

Only way to attract them is to call it "Free Internet", then deal with the caterwauling later.

Response to OilemFirchen (Reply #4)
Sun Aug 19, 2018, 06:22 PM
 pnwmom (92,185 posts)
6. You're really saying yes. I asked about rebranding -- and calling it Free Internet

is a good suggestion.

If we campaigned on the idea that the GOP is committed to taking away Free Internet, would more young people get out and vote?

Response to pnwmom (Reply #6)
Sun Aug 19, 2018, 06:24 PM
7. It would work.

But it really is disingenuous, don't you think?

Liars, all the time. 

Thread killer:   :lmao:

Sun Aug 19, 2018, 06:42 PM
Lee-Lee (6,077 posts)
11. Well there is risk involved- because it all depends on how it's impacted them

I’m already seeing right wing sources share memes about how since net neutrality went away internet speed in the US had increased and none of the predictions of people having to pay extra for each service like data or texting or streaming have come true- so they are saying everyone who opposed it was crying wolf.

If we make an issue of this and they say “look, net neutrality went away 2 years ago, today your internet is faster and cheaper than ever and none of the bad things these folks are saying happened” what will be your counter argument to keep that a winning issue?

If your typical millennial hasn’t noticed his or her internet access do anything but get cheaper and/or faster how will this be an issue that wins?

And sadly I do think the left holds some blame for that, because it was sold to people that all these bad things would happen as soon as net neutrality went away, with people sharing pictures of how you would have to pay separate fees to have email and streaming and texting and voice and others saying that they would cut off your Netflix or Hulu if you didn’t pay extra. And since none of that has happened it’s a hit to our credibility on the issue.

That’s the risk of overstated dangers when debating an issue. If you lose and none of what you predicted comes to pass it’s hard to get your credibility back.

Wait, I thought MILLIONS died due to this net neutrality stuff. 

Thread was crickets after that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:22:14 PM by Karin »

Offline DUmpsterDiver

Re: How can we dupe millenials?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:54:35 PM »
>calling it Free Internet

Right, because all the fiber, copper, routers, switches and support is done for free by volunteers.

How about a box of deep fried love...millennial Nuts and Vagin seasoning?  Free, right?

Offline Delmar

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »
That’s the risk of overstated dangers when debating an issue. If you lose and none of what you predicted comes to pass it’s hard to get your credibility back.

Maybe they'll wise up and stop lying about global warming all the time. 

I kid.

"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
Sun Aug 19, 2018, 06:12 PM
4. No.

Way too complicated to figure out what's in it for them.

Only way to attract them is to call it "Free Internet", then deal with the caterwauling later.

This dummie will go far in the DNC messaging department.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:29:55 AM »

Outside of the media, this is working on Second Amendment issues.

Unfortunately the horizon is still a bit dark as many 2A fans still think it's OK to have to ask the State for a permission slip to Bear, and automatic restoration to rights of those who have served their full sentences and been made "free" will probably not occur in the 21st century.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »
Bucket of Acid Challenge.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
Just for the record: In a nutshell, Net Neutrality is about the government taking complete control over the Internet, and in some cases, passing on the control to foreign sources. To that end, they have the power to take out websites, enact tariffs, and ultimately restrict bandwidth to "bad actors"... just like Facebook, Twitter, and Google/Youtube is doing right now! It NEVER was about "letting everyone have free, unfettered access." For one thing, Conservative Cave would be taken out in the first or second wave, along with Free Republic, Daily Wire / Caller, etc. This is not even debatable, this is actually in the plans. At that point, the word "Neutrality" will now show its true form... a "Net NEUTRALIZER"... bad!
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
Just for the record: In a nutshell, Net Neutrality is about the government taking complete control over the Internet, and in some cases, passing on the control to foreign sources. To that end, they have the power to take out websites, enact tariffs, and ultimately restrict bandwidth to "bad actors"... just like Facebook, Twitter, and Google/Youtube is doing right now! It NEVER was about "letting everyone have free, unfettered access." For one thing, Conservative Cave would be taken out in the first or second wave, along with Free Republic, Daily Wire / Caller, etc. This is not even debatable, this is actually in the plans. At that point, the word "Neutrality" will now show its true form... a "Net NEUTRALIZER"... bad!
Net Neutrality was not neutral? Next thing you will tell me is that the Affordable Care Act is not affordable.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 12:59:45 AM »
Net Neutrality was not neutral? Next thing you will tell me is that the Affordable Care Act is not affordable.

And that the Democratic Party is not about Democracy!
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels