Author Topic: Ohio Special Election Shows a Blue Wave Coming  (Read 4359 times)

Offline CC27

Ohio Special Election Shows a Blue Wave Coming
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »
Wed Aug 8, 2018, 06:49 AM
Star Member babylonsister (157,980 posts)

https://politicalwire.com/2018/08/08/ohio-special-election-shows-a-blue-wave-coming/

August 8, 2018 at 5:37 am EDT By Taegan Goddard

Washington Post: “The tight race between Democrat Danny O’Connor and Republican Troy Balderson in a deep-red Ohio House district Tuesday reinforced a trend that has been developing for more than a year: Democrats are routinely beating their 2016 performance by double digits — putting the House and perhaps even the Senate within their grasp in November.”

“In Ohio’s 12th Congressional District, which encompasses the northern suburbs of Columbus and rural expanses to the east, voters preferred President Trump by 11 points and GOP Rep. Patrick Tiberi by 37 points in 2016. But with the race too close to call late Tuesday night, those voters showed a marked shift away from Republicans.”

Micah Cohen: “Ohio 12 looks to have shifted by about 13 points towards Democrats relative to its partisan lean (how we would expect it to vote in a neutral political environment)… That’s just about in line with Democrats’ average overperformance in these elections in the Trump era. Special elections have been a good sign for Democratic midterm hopes for awhile now, and Ohio 12 was no exception (even if Balderson hangs on).“

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/100210977028

Where do they come up with this crap?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ohio Special Election Shows a Blue Wave Coming
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »

In 2016, 112,000 Democrats voted in that congressional district.  In 2018, 98,000 Democrats voted in that congressional district.

Good for the Democrats; they were obviously enthusiastic about their candidate.

In 2016, 251,000 Republicans voted in that congressional district.  In 2018, 100,000 Republicans did.

I dunno why less than half the district's Republicans voted, and it's obviously something Republicans need to look into and address, but still with nearly all the Democrats having voted, and less than half the Republicans having voted, and the Republicans winning, doesn't seem propitious for the fortunes of the other party.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »
Wed Aug 8, 2018, 06:49 AM

All that from a special election?  :whatever:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »

All that from a special election?  :whatever:

the significance of this race was further diminished in that it's for a three-month term, until the regular elections in November.

But no matter; Republicans need to get more energized about even those elections considered "trivial" or without meaning.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:40 AM »
the significance of this race was further diminished in that it's for a three-month term, until the regular elections in November.

But no matter; Republicans need to get more energized about even those elections considered "trivial" or without meaning.

Agreed, just the optics of a loss would further energize the rat base.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:48:35 AM »
More like a Blue Flush is coming.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:52:11 AM »
Well, to hear the DUmmies tell it for the last several months, the whole country is against Trump now, so I don't think I would count this as any kind of victory for them at all.  Looks like what they believe isn't necessarily true.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
When you invest enough to actually buy some small countries and still can't close the deal, it ain't a wave.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »

Either the orifice it came from or their feeble brains.  Or both.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ausonius

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 11:55:39 AM »
When you invest enough to actually buy some small countries and still can't close the deal, it ain't a wave.

True!

In 2016, 112,000 Democrats voted in that congressional district.  In 2018, 98,000 Democrats voted in that congressional district.

In 2016, 251,000 Republicans voted in that congressional district.  In 2018, 100,000 Republicans did.

I dunno why less than half the district's Republicans voted, and it's obviously something Republicans need to look into and address,
but still with nearly all the Democrats having voted, and less than half the Republicans having voted, and the Republicans winning, doesn't seem propitious for the fortunes of the other party.

Somewhere I saw an article that 60 + % of Republicans polled on the weekend (Aug, 4-5) did not even know that there was a special election on Tuesday!

Living in the area, but not in the district, I can tell you that the saturation of media ads was immense: millions had to have been spent for thousands of ads in the past months on television and radio and in the one newspaper still alive (which supported the Dem O'Connor).  Perhaps a majority of Republicans no longer watch television, or have gone off the grid in some mass way, but that does not seem likely.  Perhaps they record their shows and fast forward through all ads.  Perhaps they do not read the local press.

Balderson was not the most personable or charismatic candidate: twenty years older than his opponent, he looks like a "career politician" and sounds like one.  The Dem is barely 30 years old, and with a very earnest face spouts all the usual agitprop about Republicans throwing Grandma and Grandpa into the streets and burning down the orphanages.

Dems had volunteers going door-to-door - which Republicans just cannot do for some reason - and these volunteers had both voter registration and absentee ballot forms to pressure people into voting for the Democrat right then and there.  They target poor areas and the elderly: this is how they win elections...

Supposedly it "ain't over yet:"  thousands of "provisional ballots" will be counted in ten days, and so the Dem has not conceded.  HE may still win, either by the end of the month or in November, if Republicans still sit on their hands.

In either case, he made it clear that the race was not over, that the campaign was still on through the November election. 
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 12:13:42 PM »
Is the author, Taegan Goddard, graham4anything4HC45 over at DI?  If not, they're certainly drinking from the same pitcher

Deplorable since 2016

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »

I dunno why less than half the district's Republicans voted, and it's obviously something Republicans need to look into and address, but still with nearly all the Democrats having voted, and less than half the Republicans having voted, and the Republicans winning, doesn't seem propitious for the fortunes of the other party.

Special elections are boring.  Most people shrug their shoulders.  The dims are trying to make a point but will get body slammed in the general since Trump supporters want to make their OWN  point about being insulted daily by the dims.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
Come on guys, you have to admit it was really close, they did come in second. :thatsright:

Unfortunately it was only a 2 horse race! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »
Come on guys, you have to admit it was really close, they did come in second. :thatsright:

Unfortunately it was only a 2 horse race! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

Better than Steve Dawes, aka Omaha Steve.  Finished fourth in a race where there were only 3 declared candidates.  Redefined winning!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »

The only evidence of a "Blue Wave" coming that I see is of a blue wave in babylonsister's :stoner: water.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »
Yep, O'Connor out raised, out-spent, and out-advertised Balderson, yet this is the best he could do. Heard he ran far to the right like Ds do when they want to win an election in iffy districts.

He came close but then he had much higher turnout than Balderson did. I really don't see the big deal here, they're just going to have a rematch in a few months but the incumbency will help Balderson. Babbleonsister's blue wave will carry her out into the ocean.

Offline jukin

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »
Like Insty says, remember the Winston Wolf rule.

We need to get out and support republicans and not be behind our keyboards. Call your local R congress person and see what you can do. Even if it is just calling republicans to get out the vote from the comfort of your home, DO IT.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
Ban the GOP had this line of "winning while losing" back in 2010. Charles even made a Dummie Funnie out of it.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
True!

Somewhere I saw an article that 60 + % of Republicans polled on the weekend (Aug, 4-5) did not even know that there was a special election on Tuesday!

Living in the area, but not in the district, I can tell you that the saturation of media ads was immense: millions had to have been spent for thousands of ads in the past months on television and radio and in the one newspaper still alive (which supported the Dem O'Connor).  Perhaps a majority of Republicans no longer watch television, or have gone off the grid in some mass way, but that does not seem likely.  Perhaps they record their shows and fast forward through all ads.  Perhaps they do not read the local press.

Balderson was not the most personable or charismatic candidate: twenty years older than his opponent, he looks like a "career politician" and sounds like one.  The Dem is barely 30 years old, and with a very earnest face spouts all the usual agitprop about Republicans throwing Grandma and Grandpa into the streets and burning down the orphanages.

Dems had volunteers going door-to-door - which Republicans just cannot do for some reason - and these volunteers had both voter registration and absentee ballot forms to pressure people into voting for the Democrat right then and there.  They target poor areas and the elderly: this is how they win elections...

Supposedly it "ain't over yet:"  thousands of "provisional ballots" will be counted in ten days, and so the Dem has not conceded.  HE may still win, either by the end of the month or in November, if Republicans still sit on their hands.

In either case, he made it clear that the race was not over, that the campaign was still on through the November election.

Cause republicans are usually at work?   :cheersmate:

Now I ain't got a clue what is gonna happen in November. It would not surprise me if the dems did win big given all the free media support they get from the liberal MSM.  They beat GW Bush to death daily until they finally swung the house to the dems in 2006. I expect that tactic to occur this cycle as well.  November is an eternity away though.  I personally think the MSM are basically trying the brainwashing technique of saying everything is pointing to a blue wave... and then hoping it will happen due to GOP voters sitting out.

One thing I am sure of... if the Dems win, it is vindication that President Trump should be shot, hung, keel hauled and then drawn and quartered. If they don't, it will be because the dems do not show up in the off year election. 
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
Ban the GOP had this line of "winning while losing" back in 2010. Charles even made a Dummie Funnie out of it.

I remember that!!! I never quite figured out if that was effective moling or not.   :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Ausonius

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
Cause republicans are usually at work?   :cheersmate:

That explanation has been claimed more than once!   O-)  It could be true!

One thing I am sure of... if the Dems win, it is vindication that President Trump should be shot, hung, keel hauled and then drawn and quartered. If they don't, it will be because the dems do not show up in the off year election. 

I If Dems take control in 2019, they will vote to abort President Trump's entire agenda, the way they vote to kill babies.

They will take any money allocated  e.g.  for a Space Force or the Wall and hand it over to “the poor” or for some environmental boondoggle for “clean energy.”

In fact a Space Force has been needed for decades, but only President Trump has the vision and the desire to push for it. But if Dems take over Congress, or even just the House, it will be dead,

Because the Dems absolutely and positively do NOT want America to become great again: their previous president is on record as wanting us to stop being #1, to stop leading, to start managing our decline into mediocrity and worse.

Election 2018 is even more crucial perhaps than 2016 for our future.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:37:18 AM by Ausonius »
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 10:45:33 PM »
Whatever.  If the Stalinist pricks make it up the driveway they can eat the buckshot in my hallway.