Author Topic: gnomish dave jackpiner gets diagnosed  (Read 2416 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
gnomish dave jackpiner gets diagnosed
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »
https://jackpineradicals.com/groups/jpr-the-voice-of-poverty-and-disability/forum/topic/i-finally-got-a-real-diagnosis/

I've been itching to post this, but out of the sheer kindness of my heart, I purposely delayed a whole month so as to not get the sensitive soul rattled.

<<<thinks the gnomish dave jackpiner's just looking for an excuse.

davidthegnome (2618 posts)    April 27, 2018 at 8:36 am

I finally got a real diagnosis.

It occurred to me yesterday – as I was driving the 80 some miles to meet with a Psychologist – that I had never had a full psych eval.  It took me nearly half a year, even with medicaid, to set it up, but, yesterday, finally, I got one.  I learned some interesting things about myself – that I had suspected for quite a while but never really been quite sure of.  Funny, I never knew you could have all of these separate disorders, but here it is:

1. Bipolar 2 (less extreme highs and lows, more depressive than bipolar 1 – which is how most people think of bipolar disorder – mania, etc.)

2. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (Yep, I knew that one)

3. Social Anxiety Disorder

4. General Anxiety Disorder

5. Agoraphobia

By themselves, any one of these is considered serious enough for medication and therapy, but all together?  Well, I guess I won some kind of genetic/biophysical lottery or something, because damn I’m messed up.  The good news is – according to the psychologist who performed the evaluation (very strictly following the DSM 5 criteria) – I almost certainly qualify for SSI.  Doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll get it – but according to the guidelines, I should.

Over the years, a couple of people had suggested bipolar to me, but I never really thought it possible, because I thought of bipolar disorder as more…. well, extreme.  Apparently it doesn’t have to be.  There is mania and what they call hypomania, I think.  I’ve got the latter, once a month or so, when I feel more optimistic, positive, listen to uplifting music and such (what my sisters call sappy love songs).

What is also interesting… is that the social security administration did not set me up with a psych eval.  Basically, there was a significant lack of evidence for a decision for or against – but now it’s all there on paper.

On the one hand, I’m glad that that’s done, that I know more about myself now – that I have a much better chance of winning SSI.  On the other….

I wonder at the difference between something being caused by life events and circumstances as opposed to what one is born with.  We can be born, for instance, with genetic predispositions that make it more likely that we will have depression or anxiety disorders – but five together?  I mean, I’m glad I didn’t get the really fun ones like schizophrenia, reactive attachment disorder and shit like that, but…

I think I’m about as psychologically messed up as you can be without being psychotic.  Neurotic in the extreme – and undoubtedly they will want to put me on more medications now.  I’ve been on psych meds for over 20 years – I don’t even know anymore, who I would be without them.  A complete and total mess?  Or do the medications contribute to the illnesses via symptoms?  One medication for this – another for the symptoms caused by it, one medication for that….

Psychiatry, if translated, means “healing the soul”.  Or, more particularly:

“First used in the 19th century, the noun psychiatry originates from the Middle Latin word psychiatria, meaning “a healing of the soul,” which traces back to the Greek word psykhe, meaning “mind,” and iatreia, meaning “healing, care.”

I have noticed, over the years, that I have never met a psychiatrist nor even a psychologist who takes that role very seriously.  Their practice, such as it is, tends to involve treating symptoms, rather than focusing on the individual as a whole – mind, body and spirit (super ego, whatever you wish to call it).  They rely heavily upon drugs… yet recent developments are demonstrating that methods such as EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing), EFT (emotional freedom technique), NLP (Neuro linguistic programming) at times work very well – some times even better than medication.

I believe we live in an age in which the soul… things like our genuine emotions, are ignored more often than not.  There is a drug for pretty much every disorder – but should our first goal not be to treat the disorder itself rather than managing the symptoms?  Is it simply another one of those things where… “there is not enough profit” to be made in a cure?

Or perhaps all of these disorders, such as they may be, are permanent and incurable – yet people recover and relapse all the time.

All I can say is that I feel like some weird combination of things.  Patient, physician, fool, test subject, guinea-pig, lone wandering lunatic…

I digress, at least now I have real labels and words to describe what my issues are.  I guess that’s good.  I just wish we lived in a more enlightened society in which treatment involved not just symptom management and the occasional talk therapy – but an approach to treat the whole being… mind, body and spirit.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Now, I must ask, as this clown's in his 30s:

Is being about as psychologically messed up as one can be, worthy of boasting about?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:39:43 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: gnomish dave jackpiner gets diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
Now, I must ask, as this clown's in his 30s:

Is being about as psychologically messed up as one can be, worthy of boasting about?

In their world, yes.  It's life, but not as we know it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
PTSD?  From what exactly?  The 2016 election?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
that I have a much better chance of winning SSI

He just got himself a ticket on the gravy train. He is not that crazy, just another liberal leech  :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 06:34:31 AM »
He just got himself a ticket on the gravy train. He is not that crazy, just another liberal leech  :loser:

Not being intimately familiar with the particulars, I can't base anything but on intuition, and intuition tells me gnomish dave is about to be disappointed again in his thousandth or so attempt to get aboard the disability gravy train, so he might as well give it up and go out and get a job.

I am no expert on the first-listed disorder, although it's so "popular," so in vogue, so fashionable, so hip, so trendy, I think that while there might be credible cases of it here-and-there once in a while, most of those cases identified as such are probably psychosomatic.

As a professional civilian, I really resent his using what is probably superficial, or hypochondrial, PTSD.  gnomish dave has lived in rural Maine all his life, and so I doubt he's ever been under fire anywhere, trying to deal with people trying to kill him.  Like Omaha Steve's terminality, this is a gross insult and mockery of people who really have it.

Of the last three, they're all just simple shyness, bashfulness, easily remedied.  There's a lot of suggested cures for them, but my own favorite is that gnomish dave just shed all his clothes. and in the buff walk in on a room full of strangers.  The shock of it'll create instant self-confidence, and he'll never be afraid of other people as long as he lives.

<<<knows.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
As a professional civilian, I really resent his using what is probably superficial, or hypochondrial, PTSD.  gnomish dave has lived in rural Maine all his life, and so I doubt he's ever been under fire anywhere, trying to deal with people trying to kill him.  Like Omaha Steve's terminality, this is a gross insult and mockery of people who really have it.

:hi5: and ditto! Likewise, these healthy twits who call their utterly untrained Purse Poodles and assorted canine rats-on-strings "therapy animals" or "service dogs" P me O as well. They insult real therapy animals and service dogs and the people who really do need them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
Almost right. Let me help him out here.

Quote from:
davidthegnome

Funny, I never knew you could have all of these separate disorders, but here it is:

1. Liberal

2. Liberal

3. Liberal

4. Liberal

5. Liberal

IOW,  :mental: :mental: :mental:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 04:39:46 PM »
:hi5: and ditto! Likewise, these healthy twits who call their utterly untrained Purse Poodles and assorted canine rats-on-strings "therapy animals" or "service dogs" P me O as well. They insult real therapy animals and service dogs and the people who really do need them.

If you can't leave home for a couple of hours with out your little doggie, you need to be in an institution and not out loose in public. :mental:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
The leech is "bi", whoop-ti freaking do.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
If you can't leave home for a couple of hours with out your little doggie, you need to be in an institution and not out loose in public. shot for being a useless liberal.

Fixed that for ya!
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi