Author Topic: No link---no thread ... just a question.  (Read 10004 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Re: No link---no thread ... just a question.
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
SpeedAddiction.
That's the one. Great memory, Frank!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
That's the one. Great memory, Frank!

Yeah, speed_addiction (I think that's the way it was) was of great help, invaluable help, during the scam that rocked the internet April-July 2005; it was too bad when he crashed.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 03:04:49 PM »
SpeedAddiction.

Great memory, Frank.  If I thought more, might have popped into my brain.

He returned at CU after being banned, and was quite contrite.  But he was eventually given the ban hammer yet again.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2018, 03:28:50 PM »

Were you ever around when the owner, RobCrook, was active there?  By the time I showed up, he still owned the place, but rarely showed up.

He was a strange one, owner of a message board, but not interested enough in it to participate.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
Were you ever around when the owner, RobCrook, was active there?  By the time I showed up, he still owned the place, but rarely showed up.

He was a strange one, owner of a message board, but not interested enough in it to participate.

Yeah, I joined CU in April 2004.  Robcrook rarely posted, but owned the site.  SR & SLW eventually took over.  I wasn't a moderator at the time, but certainly recall some fun and weird experiences hanging out there.

There are a few people who posted that I wonder what happened to.  Constitutionally Speaking, Bijou, Bluto are several.  Some of the other folks I already know a bit about...DarkHalo, Freeper and of course Chris.  Probably others I've neglected to recall.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2018, 05:50:35 PM »
Hey, I'm enjoying this trip down memory lane.

Speaking of, who was that dude that fabricated/exaggerated his military experience? Said he had a girlfriend who was a doc, and he posted a pic of her once. He said his daughter had gotten some kind of serious injury (lost an eye, maybe?)in Iraq.

He got caught, and that was a YUGE scandal, too.

I am enjoying this as well... gives me new insights!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:07 PM »
Yeah, I joined CU in April 2004.  Robcrook rarely posted, but owned the site.  SR & SLW eventually took over.  I wasn't a moderator at the time, but certainly recall some fun and weird experiences hanging out there.

There are a few people who posted that I wonder what happened to.  Constitutionally Speaking, Bijou, Bluto are several.  Some of the other folks I already know a bit about...DarkHalo, Freeper and of course Chris.  Probably others I've neglected to recall.

Yeah, I especially remember bijou, she is on the member list here too as a topic mod, but she stopped posting some years ago it seems.  Also some others I recall who fell away for one reason or another, like LedZepFan, Blessedx6, Philly, and Sonnabend (Who was here but left after posting an extremely inappropriate pic in a shortbus thread that caused a shitstorm). 

Many others as well, the chronic and aggravating instability of CU when Gator was the Mod was an endless aggravation, several times it crashed and wiped out everyone's history and memberships, then those that hadn't thrown in the towel (Fewer each time) would get back on and put up with Gator's crap for awhile and just when things got rolling again everything would get wiped out.  I began to expect the big A-hole was doing it on purpose.  Finally CC was stood up and I shifted to it, Gator was still running CU and I couldn't get back on (SR later told me Gator had banned me for no known reason) but at that point I wasn't interested in trying anymore.  Once SR and SLW took over CU it was a million times better, but Gator's stupid-ass crap had driven off large numbers of the best posters and it's been a tough fight to bring it back (Hats off to SR and SLW for doing it!)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
Hey, I'm enjoying this trip down memory lane.

Speaking of, who was that dude that fabricated/exaggerated his military experience? Said he had a girlfriend who was a doc, and he posted a pic of her once. He said his daughter had gotten some kind of serious injury (lost an eye, maybe?)in Iraq.

He got caught, and that was a YUGE scandal, too.

Speed_Addiction. I remember he said he served time in prison for some crime. I did not believe that. Why would anyone want to talk about being in prison?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:54:25 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2018, 06:51:09 PM »

Bijou is British. Bluto is cool. I always wondered what happened to them. I remember Chris back at RN.

Anyone remember Kobati, Jade/WeWillSee, or OwlMBA?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:00:26 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
Yeah, I especially remember bijou, she is on the member list here too as a topic mod, but she stopped posting some years ago it seems.  Also some others I recall who fell away for one reason or another, like LedZepFan, Blessedx6, Philly, and Sonnabend (Who was here but left after posting an extremely inappropriate pic in a shortbus thread that caused a shitstorm). 

Many others as well, the chronic and aggravating instability of CU when Gator was the Mod was an endless aggravation, several times it crashed and wiped out everyone's history and memberships, then those that hadn't thrown in the towel (Fewer each time) would get back on and put up with Gator's crap for awhile and just when things got rolling again everything would get wiped out.  I began to expect the big A-hole was doing it on purpose.  Finally CC was stood up and I shifted to it, Gator was still running CU and I couldn't get back on (SR later told me Gator had banned me for no known reason) but at that point I wasn't interested in trying anymore.  Once SR and SLW took over CU it was a million times better, but Gator's stupid-ass crap had driven off large numbers of the best posters and it's been a tough fight to bring it back (Hats off to SR and SLW for doing it!)

CU had crashes in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2008.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2018, 07:13:01 PM »
Bijou is British. Bluto is cool. I always wondered what happened to them. I remember Chris back at RN.

Anyone remember Kobati, Jade/WeWillSee, or OwlMBA?

Of course most of us knew that Bijou is British.  Just miss her hanging around.  Life turns you into different directions, but hope she's doing well.

OWLMBA, been a while since he poked back into CU or here.

Ptarmigan, forgot you were around CU in those early days as well.  My apologies.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
Of course most of us knew that Bijou is British.  Just miss her hanging around.  Life turns you into different directions, but hope she's doing well.

Ptarmigan, forgot you were around CU in those early days as well.  My apologies.

There were those women moderators who were real pains in the ass.  Melinda Margery Melissa Melody; I forget their exact names, but they all started with an "M."

I think one of them was somebody's girlfriend, but this is all from when I first joined (May 2005), and I wasn't aware of the backstories on them. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »

Not a problem.

Bijou last logged in 2014. OwlMBA caused some trouble I remember.

There was also Pelican and for unknown reason went weird.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »

Gingersnap out of Colorado was great; she was always mellow.

Her galpal Shannon was, uh, kind of volatile.

I was in love with Lindanumbers, the librarian from Virginia, and always wished she'd migrate here. 

The tumultuous debate over mayonnaise was awesome, but I don't remember what incited it, other than that she did.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2018, 07:52:11 PM »
Speed_Addiction. I remember he said he served time in prison for some crime. I did not believe that. Why would anyone want to talk about being in prison?

I remember him and his story Ptarmy... he explained it one time when someone called him on it.  Supposedly, according to him, he got busted selling drugs and got life in the federal pen. Got out when there was a supreme court case that invalidated his life sentence. He also supposedly owned a gas station, and used to post pics of a hummer that he said was his. Not to mention he  was supposedly married to a naturalized mexican lady and had had 3 teenage daughters. 

Shorty after someone figured out he was never a US Army Ranger or Green Beret or something like that,  he posted that he closed the station.  I remember thinking at the time that every word out of his mouth was a lie.  I was really surprised that he actually came back and posted there.  Never heard him mention the wife or kids again either.

I think his whole persona was a lie.  Could be wrong, who knows. 

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2018, 07:54:16 PM »
Gingersnap out of Colorado was great; she was always mellow.

Her galpal Shannon was, uh, kind of volatile.

I was in love with Lindanumbers, the librarian from Virginia, and always wished she'd migrate here. 

The tumultuous debate over mayonnaise was awesome, but I don't remember what incited it, other than that she did.

I remember all of them.  I always thought Gingersnap and Lindanumbers were very nice ladies.  :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2018, 09:27:30 PM »
I remember him and his story Ptarmy... he explained it one time when someone called him on it.  Supposedly, according to him, he got busted selling drugs and got life in the federal pen. Got out when there was a supreme court case that invalidated his life sentence. He also supposedly owned a gas station, and used to post pics of a hummer that he said was his. Not to mention he  was supposedly married to a naturalized mexican lady and had had 3 teenage daughters. 

Shorty after someone figured out he was never a US Army Ranger or Green Beret or something like that,  he posted that he closed the station.  I remember thinking at the time that every word out of his mouth was a lie.  I was really surprised that he actually came back and posted there.  Never heard him mention the wife or kids again either.

I think his whole persona was a lie.  Could be wrong, who knows. 

If his case really went to the US Supreme Court, it would of been in the news. He also claimed he killed someone.

I remember he called out for his lies. He was banned but came back and was banned again.

Anyone remember Hook'em Horns? She passed away in November 2005.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »
Anyone remember Hook'em Horns? She passed away in November 2005.

I remember all these people.

Here's a few more:

Moon
scott
Gern Blansten
Rationality
ElectroPrincess

There was some guy and his wife, they lived in Dunedin, FL, and they left and started some site called Big Red Couch (or something like that). What were their names?

Give me time and some more will come to mind.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2018, 09:42:18 PM »

I joined in February 2004 and Rob would post pretty often. In fact, he was the one who set up the Best/Worst of DU forum not long after I arrived because between me, DarkHalo, gator, SR, Kobati, and others, we were bringing over DU threads and poking fun at them, so he decided to make it into its own forum. Seems he got ill and had to cut back posting not long after I had arrived there, so that accounts for him not being there much.

I remember when Rob started the forum, this nutso DUer who was at CU named ElectroPrincess said something like "Oh you've done it now. They won't like this site dedicating a forum to laughing at them." I answered back "You got to be kidding! There's no way that'll happen. They won't even care!" Boy, I was wrong about that because they hit the ceiling and have ever since.

I had met daveman on the SF Indymedia site and told him about CU and he came over in March, 2004. A whole bunch of others, including Ralph, came over in April 2004 when this primitive named Supercrash posted about CU on the island. Suddenly, the site doubled in members in about a week. Ah, good times!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:59:50 PM by USA4ME »

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2018, 09:43:21 PM »
I remember all these people.

Here's a few more:

Moon
scott
Gern Blansten
Rationality
ElectroPrincess

There was some guy and his wife, they lived in Dunedin, FL, and they left and started some site called Big Red Couch (or something like that). What were their names?

Give me time and some more will come to mind.

I remember all of them. There is also Chieftain.

Rat was something.  :mental:

The one behind Big Red Couch is NyghtShadow and CiaCeiro. They left after that CU meet up in Fall 2005. It caused a stir.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »
scott

scott was married to one of the three "M"s--I have no idea which one--who was a bitch as a moderator.

Gern Blansten

Is this the "Gern" (just the first name) who was a member here for a while a couple of years ago?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
scott was married to one of the three "M"s--I have no idea which one--who was a bitch as a moderator.

Is this the "Gern" (just the first name) who was a member here for a while a couple of years ago?

It was Melanie.

I remember Gern and I have not seen him in a long time.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »

No, that's not him. I met Scott in Lakeland and went to an airshow with him probably 12 years ago. Nice guy.

The one you're thinking of was Melissa. She was from Pennsylvania. She started out OK but once she became a mod it went to her head.

Quote from:

Yea, I think he came here briefly. Great guy!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
No, that's not him. I met Scott in Lakeland and went to an airshow with him probably 12 years ago. Nice guy.

The one you're thinking of was Melissa. She was from Pennsylvania. She started out OK but once she became a mod it went to her head.

Yea, I think he came here briefly. Great guy!

Melissa is crazy. There is also HampshireBrit.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
The one behind Big Red Couch is NyghtShadow and CiaCeiro.

Ok, the NyghtShadow name I remember now. Don't remember the ciaceiro name. I wonder if she had a different name at CU than at the Red Couch?

Yep, Chieftian. Also there was a guy named Conservative/Liberal.