Author Topic: Former NYC Mayor Giuliani Trailing in Home State  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Former NYC Mayor Giuliani Trailing in Home State
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani is trailing in the race for the Republican presidential nomination even on his home turf of New York state, a new poll showed on Monday.

The WNBC/Marist poll ahead of the February 5 primaries in New York showed 34 percent of registered Republicans support John McCain, compared to 23 percent for Giuliani. Among Republicans likely to vote, McCain kept his 34 percent support, while Giuliani was tied in second place with Mitt Romney at 19 percent.

McCain's campaign has been boosted by wins in New Hampshire and South Carolina in the state-by-state race to pick the two candidates to contest the November 4 election to succeed President George W. Bush.

Giuliani, whose once large lead in national polls has evaporated, largely bypassed early voting states and focused on Florida, which votes on January 29.

As the former New York mayor who won national recognition in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks, Giuliani would hope for a strong showing in New York.

But the poll showed 46 percent of registered Republicans in New York think Arizona Sen. McCain is the Republican most likely to beat the Democratic candidate in November. Nineteen percent saw former Massachusetts Gov. Romney as the most electable and 15 percent picked Giuliani as most electable.

More

I thought that perhaps rudy could have put NY in play in the general if he was the nominee, but this doesn't bode well for that theory or his candidacy in general.

Offline Lacarnut

Re: Former NYC Mayor Giuliani Trailing in Home State
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »

After the pollsters blew it in N.H., I take their little polls with a grain of salt.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »

the pollsters nailed the republican race.  it's the "an african american vs. a woman" primary that the pollsters are vapor locking over.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:07:44 PM »

the pollsters nailed the republican race.  it's the "an african american vs. a woman" primary that the pollsters are vapor locking over.

Not the first time & won't be the last they will get it wrong.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »
New York City and New York are two different worlds culturally and politically. Upstate New York is a world away from New York City, especially north of Westchester County.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Atlas

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Veritas Aequitas
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:09:34 PM »
I live upstate.

I liked Giuliani's law and order policies in general, other than gun control. Socially he's more liberal than NY as a whole, but in line with Manhattanites in general

Certainly NYC is a better and safer place for his having been there. I'll go further and say part of the reason was Dinkins hiring more cops ( although I didn't like Dinkins politically in any way shape or form )

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »

i think it would be just awesome if the people who take telephone polls for this stuff just give the person all kinds of wrong, misleading info. skew their polls ... make them look like the dumbasses they are.

either that happened in NH, or she moved the numbers 15% in one day.  I have a hard time believing either one, so I am going with vote fraud and diebold. :-) :whatever:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 09:00:07 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:29:49 PM »

i think it would be just awesome if the people who take telephone polls for this stuff just give the person all kinds of wrong, misleading info. skew their polls ... make them look like the dumbasses they are.

I plan on doing that if I get stopped. :evillaugh:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:38:56 PM »

I plan on doing that if I get stopped. :evillaugh:

i might in the future, but i have never lied in the past to a pollster... maybe the two times its ever happened to me thus far..