Author Topic: How, how did this happen??  (Read 1770 times)

Offline zeitgeist

How, how did this happen??
« on: May 18, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »

Oh, da horror!  Dem rotten 'publicans been at it again no doubt.

(I just did a bit of a smash and grab on this one earlier so have no idea how much more development this screed has had.  I couldn't help take a bit of a chuckle up the sleeve when I first ran across it.)

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142061295

DonViejo (43,109 posts)

Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food
Source: CNN-Money

by Tami Luhby @Luhby
May 17, 2018: 10:44 AM ET

The economy may be chugging along, but many Americans are still struggling to afford a basic middle class life.

Nearly 51 million households don't earn enough to afford a monthly budget that includes housing, food, child care, health care, transportation and a cell phone, according to a study released Thursday by the United Way ALICE Project. That's 43% of households in the United States.

The figure includes the 16.1 million households living in poverty, as well as the 34.7 million families that the United Way has dubbed ALICE -- Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed. This group makes less than what's needed "to survive in the modern economy."

"Despite seemingly positive economic signs, the ALICE data shows that financial hardship is still a pervasive problem," said Stephanie Hoopes, the project's director.

California, New Mexico and Hawaii have the largest share of struggling families, at 49% each. North Dakota has the lowest at 32%.
o
Read more: http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/economy/us-middle-class-basics-study/index.html 

I suspect Don Ho is a commie troll but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Don't let the DU folk skins know.

Great hilarity ensues as DU folk skins post their real life vignettes.  Good Times, I tell ya JJ, Good Times.

Response to DonViejo (Original post)
Thu May 17, 2018, 12:00 PM
dalton99a (20,981 posts)
1. They're teetering on the cliff while the oligarchs enjoy their windfall

Thu May 17, 2018, 12:14 PM
 Le Gaucher (951 posts)
9. in NJ .. you need to make 100k for a family of 4 for you to have a half decent life

and have a slight shot at saving for a rainy day

Thu May 17, 2018, 12:26 PM
 logosoco (2,910 posts)
10. This is especially sad because I just made a trip to the grocery store this morning.

The first one with the grandsons being home from school for the next couple of months. Many prices were much higher than the last time I went. No good deals in the produce section (hopefully it is too early, but from what I am reading I don't expect many in the future).

And I think we are doing better than many families (but we are not a fancy people!). So if we are feeling the pinch, I can only imagine how it is for those already hurting.

Well ya gotta pinch a pocket or two old chum.

Response to logosoco (Reply #10)
Fri May 18, 2018, 08:39 AM
 tblue37 (27,930 posts)
45. With immigrants afraid to take jobs for fear of being ICEd, and with the border clampdown

and ongoing detentions and deportations, farmers can't get enough workers to harvest their produce, so I bet fruit and vegetable prices will soar this year.
If they live in CHI town or LA an even bigger fear is being iced by a home boy I hear!

Response to logosoco (Reply #10)
Fri May 18, 2018, 09:24 AM
 KY_EnviroGuy (2,188 posts)
48. Irony...

Went to get groceries for a friend Wednesday, with tomatoes always on the list. I was worried 'cause I had been reading all the stories about American farmers not getting enough pickers for the crops due to tRump running off all the immigrants, and in fact saw photos of tons of tomatoes rotting in the fields in Florida.

The best ones at my Kroger store were imported from Canada for $2/lb, or around $1/each. I wonder how long even that will last with NAFTA negotiations falling apart. A lot of items look high to me, although some such as milk still seem OK. Grain products seem to have gone up considerably in the past months.

I've noticed a lot of produce coming from Mexico and Central America in the past, and I'm worried that tRump's economic and physical walls will put us all in the poor house.

Whoa, Hollywierd ain't the only one worried about Rotten Tomatoes I guess.

Thu May 17, 2018, 12:27 PM
niyad (62,787 posts)
11. but. . .but. . this is the greatest, most wonderfulest, bestest country in the whole world!

'Tis at that  I hear on the Big Island they're still yellin'  MAGMA   :-)  !!

Response to niyad (Reply #11)
Thu May 17, 2018, 12:35 PM
 RKP5637 (51,106 posts)
14. Yep, the US is great at spreading bullshit, and then we have the US morons that believe

the crap and vote accordingly.

No comment.   :whistling:

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #14)
Thu May 17, 2018, 12:45 PM
niyad (62,787 posts)
16. some days, I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or slit a vein at that stupidity.

Slit the vein.  But remember, go down the road not across the street.  Try a couple pints of Ripple, some candles and a hot bath.  Rescue crews love ambience.

Thu May 17, 2018, 12:30 PM
airmid (194 posts)
12. I have been doing a delicate balancing act for a year. A few months ago my son moved

back in with my grandson (Mom is an addict). I'm not sure I can stretch my budget any further. I lost my food stamps several months ago due to a paperwork snafu. And though they admitted it was their fault, they still kicked my off for a minimum of a year...
It is all about making the right choices now isn't it. 

Response to airmid (Reply #12)
Fri May 18, 2018, 09:49 AM
 KY_EnviroGuy (2,188 posts)
49. That's despicable, and I hope you find some relief soon.

Food banks like my neighbor goes to have really helped, and I even take what he gets in excess to some other friends that are struggling. I do fear that scarcity may become the norm due to farmers and meat producers losing their labor supply. We may need to ask our large grocers and local corporations to cough up more to help, and it may be wise for us to build a little hoard in can goods for hard times.

Thank goodness tRump and his gang of thieves will be out soon, although not soon enough for us.

Best of luck to you.....

Hungar is a powerful motivator.  You too could attend "BOVINE U" and become a real cut up.

Response to KY_EnviroGuy (Reply #49)
Fri May 18, 2018, 10:12 AM
airmid (194 posts)
50. We are getting by. Much better since warm weather is here. As long as I can pull in

staples like flour and such, I have some areas to forage for free berries and greens and the occasional mushroom patch. Got the veg garden going now and a few chickens someone wanted to get rid off. They lay a dozen or more eggs a week. I dread winter....

Who doesn't see that scene with Miss Scarlet? 

Fri May 18, 2018, 10:33 AM
notdarkyet (1,061 posts)
51. I just went through the most intrusive, despicable application for FS yesterday, for $15 a month.

I was shocked. I’ve never done an application so long and arduous with them before. I kept saying why are you asking this, they never have before. Did I make or sell things? They wanted access to my bank accounts and I said no, and they went and got them anyway. Two hours pre interview then a three hour interview to finish the process. I realized it is all to discourage people and like above find a reason to deny you. I am probably going to be denied because a community group just gave me a grant for 480 for utilities.

The nerve of them, wanting to know if I needed the help.  Well, I never.  No beer and cheeto money.  NEXT!!

Posted in haste, I will repent in leisure.   zeit.   :tongue:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
Re: How, how did this happen??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
Thu May 17, 2018, 12:00 PM
dalton99a (20,981 posts)
1. They're teetering on the cliff while the oligarchs enjoy their windfall

Yea! Another title!
I've gone from simple racist, to Nazi, wypipo and now?   ...  Oligarch!
Where do I pickup my patch?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:29:20 PM »
Yea! Another title!
I've gone from simple racist, to Nazi, wypipo and now?   ...  Oligarch!
Where do I pickup my patch?

Actually,

Oligarch was the secret word for today.  Didn't you see the DUck come down?? 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:34:13 PM »
I thought 8 years of the lord & savior President Obama solved all this? 

Their lack of logic is head scratching.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
I thought 8 years of the lord & savior President Obama solved all this? 

Their lack of logic is head scratching.

Yea butt, the Trumpen_fuhrer whizzed all over Obama's field of Magic Beans.  That rotten guy, why he'd steal the pennies out of a dead man's eyes.

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf:

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
Thu May 17, 2018, 12:14 PM
 Le Gaucher (951 posts)
9. in NJ .. you need to make 100k for a family of 4 for you to have a half decent life

and have a slight shot at saving for a rainy day

Who runs New Jooorsey again?

Survey says: Democrats!

So quityerbitchin!!  Oh and the illegals there seem to be able to live on less than 100k .

Fri May 18, 2018, 10:33 AM
notdarkyet (1,061 posts)
51. I just went through the most intrusive, despicable application for FS yesterday, for $15 a month.

I was shocked. I’ve never done an application so long and arduous with them before. I kept saying why are you asking this, they never have before. Did I make or sell things? They wanted access to my bank accounts and I said no, and they went and got them anyway. Two hours pre interview then a three hour interview to finish the process. I realized it is all to discourage people and like above find a reason to deny you. I am probably going to be denied because a community group just gave me a grant for 480 for utilities.

Aaaw. Did the poor dummie get denied money stolen from productive citizens?  Sucks to be you.

Response to KY_EnviroGuy (Reply #49)
    Fri May 18, 2018, 10:12 AM
    airmid (194 posts)
    50. We are getting by. Much better since warm weather is here. As long as I can pull in

staples like flour and such, I have some areas to forage for free berries and greens and the occasional mushroom patch. Got the veg garden going now and a few chickens someone wanted to get rid off. They lay a dozen or more eggs a week. I dread winter....

Wait... what? So you are foraging now, got a garden, got some fowl and seem to be living... like my grandparents did?  Grew/raised their own food. They seemed to be fine.  And you dread winter?  Are you so ****ing incompetent you can't live by your own hands like all good dummies advocate?

Come over here and 'splain it to me Lucy.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »
DUmmies, don't you want ag workers to have a living wage?
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
DUmmies, don't you want ag workers to have a living wage?

No, they don't.  The primitives are far more interested in having free food than paying people to produce it.

Despite that right here in the United States of America, the average person, the average household, spends the lowest percentage of its income on groceries, that's not good enough for the primitives.  Perhaps they need to live in a society somewhere--which is most of the world--where one spends more than half of one's income for food.

<<<been there, seen that; it's not a pretty sight.

Odd, how the primitives whine about how much groceries cost, but they never whine about the windfall profits their drug dealer makes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
Of course, coming from one of the largest (and most efficient) food-producing areas of not only this country, but the whole entire world, I get irritated by people who whine about the cost of groceries, but never whine about the cost of their illegal drugs, their internet, their cable television, their cellular telephone, &c. &c. &c.

This is short but illuminating.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/this-map-shows-how-much-each-country-spends-on-food/

Nobody, but nobody, spends a smaller percentage of their income (earned and taxpayer-subsidized) for food, than we do here in America.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 11:14:56 PM »
How many of these whining DUpipos have cell phones with data plans, cable TV with premium channels,  and always wear the latest fashions?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
These groovy democrats are doing alright and have ten fingers to point.  As much as I hate to post a link, I think this one is needed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUCjORJhQZQ&index=9&list=RDwe6nkklAni4

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:51:44 PM »
How many of these whining DUpipos have cell phones with data plans, cable TV with premium channels,  and always wear the latest fashions?

There's a primitive from West Virginia, the "Rhythm" primitive, who has a bunch of gofundme campaigns going on because she's handicapped and poor and Donald Trump won't give her oodles of bucks for the lifestyle she wants to have.

In her most recent desperate attempt to get charity, she points out that she has three expensive deluxe purebred dogs that it breaks her heart to sell, but she must.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 12:18:26 AM »
>three expensive deluxe purebred dogs

It harshes my mellow to hear of such decadent gimmedats in this domain with such magnetic grips of things they do not need to survive while barking
for more meat.  I doubt she is my neighbor since the few I have agree to only burn purebreed coyote and other coy dog husks when the wind
blows away from downwind neighbors.

She does not appear to be a player in the neighborly scheme of things.  Best she maybe move back to NY, CA, NJ or the Hades she left.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 12:32:13 AM »
>three expensive deluxe purebred dogs

It harshes my mellow to hear of such decadent gimmedats in this domain with such magnetic grips of things they do not need to survive while barking
for more meat.  I doubt she is my neighbor since the few I have agree to only burn purebreed coyote and other coy dog husks when the wind
blows away from downwind neighbors.

She does not appear to be a player in the neighborly scheme of things.  Best she maybe move back to NY, CA, NJ or the Hades she left.

I checked; Brandy's in Morgantown, West Virginia.

The referred-to fundraiser, where she mentioned the dogs, she had going has been closed, raising $315 towards a goal of $10,000.

I have no doubt however a new fundraiser's in the oven, ready to come out.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 12:35:12 AM »
Question to anybody who might know:

Does gofundme shut down a fundraiser after a certain period of time, whether or not a goal's been reached, or is it up to the fundraiser to shut it down when the fundraiser wants to shut it down?
apres moi, le deluge

Online Old n Grumpy

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 06:34:30 AM »
Nearly 51 million households don't earn enough to afford a monthly budget that includes housing, food, child care, health care, transportation and a cell phone,

If we got rid of the 20 million illegals that would solve most of the problem.

airmid (195 posts)
12. I have been doing a delicate balancing act for a year. A few months ago my son moved

back in with my grandson (Mom is an addict). I'm not sure I can stretch my budget any further. I lost my food stamps several months

So why doesn't your son get off his lazy, and propbly drug adictedass and get a job and contribute to their welfare? And you need to get busy as well and forget the food stamps.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 06:45:56 AM »
DonViejo (43,109 posts)

Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food
Source: CNN-Money
California, New Mexico and Hawaii have the largest share of struggling families, at 49% each. North Dakota has the lowest at 32%.

The source is a United Way "study". If they told me it was raining I'd check the roof of the building for dudes with water hoses. But even their numbers give the lie to their claim. If the worst states are at 49%, that means 80%-90% of the country is much better off than the "almost half" claim. Considering the source, I'm sure their methods are jiggered to produce the predetermined result.

E.G., I can easily "prove" that Mrs. SVPete and I cannot afford to pay rent, etc. here in Silicon Valley. I just have to use the current market rent for a house of our size. That rent would be 100%-200% higher than our actual mortgage payment. Similarly, if you assume a land owner on a reservation in NM instead pays current market rent in Santa Fe or Albuquerque ... . You just have to put the population statistics through the number-crunching machine that will produce the "correct" results.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Old n Grumpy

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 02:10:36 PM »
When you see the photos of all the plumper dummies it is hard to believer some of their stories.
 :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
>many Americans are still struggling to afford a basic middle class life.

Because one has to make an effort to get there.  Many lazy, socialist filth want a free ride.  Get off my lawn scrotumholes.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »
When you see the photos of all the plumper dummies it is hard to believer some of their stories.
 :thatsright:

Remember, these "people" are starving......
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.