Author Topic: Logan Act violation? Why that's preposterous!  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Delmar

Logan Act violation? Why that's preposterous!
« on: May 05, 2018, 12:05:23 AM »
Fri May 4, 2018, 08:34 PM
riversedge (42,481 posts)

'Send in the G Men': Devin Nunes calls for John Kerry to be arrested by the FBI

Source: raw story

‘Send in the G Men’: Devin Nunes calls for John Kerry to be arrested by the FBI

04 May 2018 at 20:06 ET
Congressman Devin Nunes (R-CA), photo by Gage Skidmore and John Kerry, official portrait. Composite image.
Don't miss stories. Follow Raw Story!

The chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence is calling for former Secretary of State John Kerry to be the very first person every arrested under a constitutionally dubious 1799 law.

Congressman Devin Nunes (R-CA) made his demand to imprison the former Massachusetts Democrat under the Logan Act, which could theoretically result in three year in federal prison.

...............The allegations followed a new Boston Globe report on former Secretary of State Kerry working to save the Iran nuclear deal.

Read more: https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/send-g-men-devin-nunes-calls-john-kerry-arrested-fbi/

When is Ryan going to get rid of this madman>>???
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142052957

The phony SOB John Kerry has been sneaking around behind the backs of the people who are actually in charge of our country and colluding with foreign powers trying to rescue Barry's crooked Iran deal. 

Congressman Devin Nunes, in a dead on impersonation of a primitive during the Obama years, tweeted:

OMG!  Logan Act violations!!  Send in the G men..

The primitives act like this is the most absurd thing they've ever heard.

Response to riversedge (Original post)Fri May 4, 2018, 08:40 PM
Bernardo de La Paz (23,271 posts)
1. It wins points with the nutcore base Trumpanzees and keeps the Iran deal associated with negatives.

Response to riversedge (Original post)Fri May 4, 2018, 08:47 PM
Star Member FailureToCommunicate (9,206 posts)
4. Wait. So, this is NOT the Onion?

Response to riversedge (Original post)Fri May 4, 2018, 09:16 PM
Star Member Butterflylady (410 posts)
12. Send in the men with the white coats

Nunes is a couple of fries short of a happy meal.

The stupid primitives don't understand that Nunes was making fun of THEM.

Back in the murky past, all the way back in 2016, the Logan Act wasn't so ridiculous:

Thu Jul 28, 2016, 05:13 PM
backscatter712 (25,057 posts)

Benedict Donald is in violation of the Logan Act

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/7/28/1553756/-Benedict-Donald-is-likely-in-violation-of-the-Logan-Act

The short version: In US law is the Logan Act, which forbids unauthorized private individuals from negotiating with adversarial foreign powers that are in dispute with the U.S. It’s intended to keep individuals from undermining the U.S. government’s position. It reads as follows:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10028057246

Response to backscatter712 (Original post)Thu Jul 28, 2016, 05:15 PM
Chasstev365 (5,191 posts)
1. Lock Him Up, Lock Him Up
Response to Chasstev365 (Reply #1)Thu Jul 28, 2016, 05:41 PM
napkinz (17,194 posts)
10. Lock Him Up! Lock Him Up!
Response to Chasstev365 (Reply #1)Thu Jul 28, 2016, 07:07 PM
Still In Wisconsin (3,084 posts)
39. Yes, by all means lock up the Mangled Apricot Hellbeast.
Response to backscatter712 (Original post)Thu Jul 28, 2016, 05:32 PM
Star Member onecaliberal (11,072 posts)
8. Good name. I posted the same thing last night. He is in violation IMO
Response to backscatter712 (Original post)Thu Jul 28, 2016, 05:39 PM
shraby (20,340 posts)
9. Isn't this a problem for Tom Cotton and friends also? Seems they stepped out of line too.
Response to backscatter712 (Original post)Thu Jul 28, 2016, 06:36 PM
Star Member liberal N proud (57,105 posts)
29. He should be charged
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Logan Act violation? Why that's preposterous!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 05:45:50 AM »
Well now, the primitives have a well-established and long record of this, where something that's okay with them in July isn't okay with them in October, even though it's exactly the same thing.

They have a consistent record of inconsistency, of hypocrisy, of pretense, of about-facing.

One gets the impression consistency is not anything that means something to the primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:42:28 AM »
I haven't read much on this yet. This article, if accurate, suggests that Kerry blatantly flouted the Logan Act:

WASHINGTON — John Kerry’s bid to save one of his most significant accomplishments as secretary of state took him to New York on a Sunday afternoon two weeks ago, where, more than a year after he left office, he engaged in some unusual shadow diplomacy with a top-ranking Iranian official.

He sat down at the United Nations with Foreign Minister Javad Zarif to discuss ways of preserving the pact limiting Iran’s nuclear weapons program. It was the second time in about two months that the two had met to strategize over salvaging a deal they spent years negotiating during the Obama administration, according to a person briefed on the meetings.

With the Iran deal facing its gravest threat since it was signed in 2015, Kerry has been on an aggressive yet stealthy mission to preserve it, using his deep lists of contacts gleaned during his time as the top US diplomat to try to apply pressure on the Trump administration from the outside. President Trump, who has consistently criticized the pact and campaigned in 2016 on scuttling it, faces a May 12 deadline to decide whether to continue abiding by its terms.

Kerry, an unauthorized private citizen, negotiated and panned with a foreign official of a country with whom the US is in conflict to influence and frustrate the Trump Administration's policy regarding that conflict. As best I understand, that would send an ordinary person to prison. Kerry is betting Trump won't have the courage to prosecute him.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
I haven't read much on this yet. This article, if accurate, suggests that Kerry blatantly flouted the Logan Act:

Kerry, an unauthorized private citizen, negotiated and panned with a foreign official of a country with whom the US is in conflict to influence and frustrate the Trump Administration's policy regarding that conflict. As best I understand, that would send an ordinary person to prison. Kerry is betting Trump won't have the courage to prosecute him.

Yeah, but clearly the Boston Globe has a right wing agenda... :panic: :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »
Well now, the primitives have a well-established and long record of this, where something that's okay with them in July isn't okay with them in October, even though it's exactly the same thing.

They have a consistent record of inconsistency, of hypocrisy, of pretense, of about-facing.

One gets the impression consistency is not anything that means something to the primitives.

yep, just look at all their cries for the Logan Act to be enforced against Trump: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10028057246

against John Boehner: https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10026203045

against Tom Cotton: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10221273

against General Flynn: https://www.democraticunderground.org/10028625556

against 47 GOP senators: https://www.democraticunderground.com/10026342385

and there's much much more , logan act for thee but not for me

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »
Response to riversedge (Original post)Fri May 4, 2018, 08:40 PM
Bernardo de La Paz (23,271 posts)
1. It wins points with the nutcore base Trumpanzees and keeps the Iran deal associated with negatives.
Had Trump been a democrat and we made a statement like this, how long before it would be called a racist dog whistle?
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »
Ya know, every time one of these "elites" does something like this and faces zero punishment, it degrades the rule of law.  There should be NO ONE who cannot be prosecuted.

- Kerry should be arrested for this, tried, and if convicted, serve his time in federal prison and carry the title of convicted felon forevermore.
- Hillary should be arrested for mishandling of classified information, destruction of evidence, destruction of official government records, and solicitation of bribes (among what I'm sure are many other felonies), tried, and if convicted, serve her time in federal prison and carry the title of convicted felon forevermore.
- I'd go as far to say that Ted Kennedy should be tried posthumously for treason and violations of the Logan Act for colluding with the Soviets against Reagan, and if found guilty, should have his name stripped from everything it's currently attached to and be disinterred from Arlington to be placed in a pauper's field.  Same thing for Robert Byrd, except his would be for membership in a terrorist organization.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
Ya know, every time one of these "elites" does something like this and faces zero punishment, it degrades the rule of law.  There should be NO ONE who cannot be prosecuted.

Democrats, liberals, and primitives don't appear to understand that they're the ones who set precedents that allow Republicans to do things they don't like.

When it comes to erosion of the rule of law and injury to democracy--for which of course both sides have historically been responsible--I defy anybody to name me an example, a single example, no matter how minor, where this side did it first.

Come on now, somebody give me one example.  And don't even think about Watergate, all the antics taking place during that time having been preceded in past conduct and actions by Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, and John and Robert Kennedy.

One example, please, where Republicans did it first, set the precedent.
apres moi, le deluge