Author Topic: primitives discuss scams  (Read 1422 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss scams
« on: April 18, 2018, 05:40:00 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210508385

Oh my.

It's too bad they didn't discuss scams some years ago.

In case anyone's forgotten, on April 30 circa 3:30  p.m. central time, thirteen years ago, poor stupid Beth launched the scam that rocked the internet.

Incredible, it's been that long.

Archae (39,307 posts)     Tue Apr 17, 2018, 11:22 PM

Latest scam attempts out there has hit me several times, twice just today.

My "Wells Fargo credit card" is having some sort of issue.

I never have used Wells Fargo or have a credit card.

And on my phone I got a call from the "electric utility."

Went right to a robocall sales pitch for a "call for help" system.

MontanaMama (3,821 posts)       Tue Apr 17, 2018, 11:25 PM

1. Bastards.

We get multiple calls per week from a robot stating that Microsoft has detected suspicious activity on our computer. I sick my 12 year old on them and he takes them for a ride. He’s a master at harassing scammers.

Awsi Dooger (10,754 posts)      Tue Apr 17, 2018, 11:38 PM

3. "...your current credit card account"

I get that robo call multiple times per week and sometimes multiple times per day. It's a female voice emphasizing that there's nothing currently wrong with your credit card account, but you need to call them anyway. Recently they changed the recording slightly. It's now a different woman with a different name and a few words were altered. Previously it was Rachel and today I heard Lisa. Otherwise exactly the same scam. They never specify which credit card they are referring to. Apparently they are claiming they can reduce your interest rate but you have to pay to do it. I looked it up last year and the scam had been reported all across the country for years.

I block the numbers but they show up again with slightly different numbers. It is always a 786 prefix number, at least

notdarkyet (944 posts)     Wed Apr 18, 2018, 12:39 AM

7. I get this one. Weird one today. My bank account got hit with $99 charge for a years

Subscription to WAPO. Did not do that. Hope I get it straightened out tomorrow. I need that money. Just moved and lots of bills.

dflprincess (23,018 posts)      Tue Apr 17, 2018, 11:41 PM

4. I got the IRS scam call recently

The one where you're told the local police will be at your door if you don't pay your over due taxes immediately. I told the guy he was in big trouble because I'm an attorney for the IRS (a lie, just to be clear). I think he hung up in record time.

wryter2000 (35,782 posts)      Wed Apr 18, 2018, 12:55 AM

8. I get calls that I'm going to be taken into custody almost every day

I called back one of the fake IRS calls once and chewed out the guy in India who answered

struggle4progress (95,938 posts)      Wed Apr 18, 2018, 01:48 AM

11. I had a friend who handled those calls by being extraordinarily chatty:

"Oh? My son handles all those issues ... Junior! You need to take this call ... He'll be here in a minute. Say, how about all this weather we're having? A lot of weather. Are you have weather there, too? My wife says she's never seen anything like it. Are you married? Really! Have you got any kids? We've got two: Junior and Bippy. They're great! You love them. What? ... Yes, he'll be on the phone in a minute in a minute. He's just got to wash up a bit before he comes inside ... How many kids do you have? Really! What do they think of this weather? Bippy and Marge always disagree and then Junior stands up for for Marge. Do your kids agree with your wife about the weather? What ... No, he's coming. He'll be here any minute ... So Junior stands up for Marge and then pretty soon he and Bippy are down each other throats hammer and tongs you know and ..."

Man, I must be getting old.

It seems as if it's been only a few weeks ago, not thirteen years.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives discuss scams
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
I never answer numbers that I don`t recognize.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »

Same here, unless I'm expecting a call from a number I don't already know.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
Same here, unless I'm expecting a call from a number I don't already know.

Yep. If the caller doesn't leave a voice mail, then it wasn't important. If I get a call from the same number more than 3 times and they don't leave a message, then I block the number.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »
My favorite is to answer the phone and hear a computer message telling me to please hold for a very important call. Naturally, I immediately hang up because if it was "very important" I figure an actual person would call me so that I wouldn't have to hold.

Last week we got two calls from a number that caller id showed as "Not in Use". My wife asked why I didn't answer the phone. I explained that answering it wouldn't do any good since the number was not in use.

Speaking of scams, in the last two weeks I've been getting scam emails claiming to be from my service provider telling me that my emails have been blocked until I log in and verify my identity. Of course, the claim that is for my protection. It would be a little more convincing if I was not receiving emails both before and after my emails were supposedly blocked AND if when I moused over the "click here" link it did not display some arabic website.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:51:08 PM by ChuckJ »
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe