Author Topic: Annoying millennial speech habits  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Annoying millennial speech habits
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
I've noticed a few of those annoying things the kiddies say nowadays, but I've picked some of them up myself. Found myself saying, "True that," until my d-i-l pointed it out in a way that made it clear she was sick and tired of hearing it.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210495085

Blues Heron (824 posts)

Annoying millennial speech habits
Post the most annoying Millennial speech habits here. I'll start

"Theenk Yo" (thank you)

"N'n'n'no" (no)

A DU catfight breaks out!

Sun Apr 15, 2018, 10:02 AM
crazycatlady (3,345 posts)

2. How about we stop stereotyping a generation

TubbersUK (1,241 posts)

7. +1000

Tipperary (1,880 posts)

9. Many folks here love to stereotype. Let me see...southerners probably the number one

target for stereotyping, but then there are baby boomers, Christians, people who own guns, people who live in the country, people who drive pick-ups, people who drive BMWs, vegans, meat eaters, home schoolers, private schoolers, men, women...oh, the list is long and varied.

37. This board has a very "get off my lawn" vibe to it

I'm a token non boomer on this board. If I had to guess, there's a lot of people who would otherwise post here who don't because of this. I almost feel the need to apologize for being born in the 80s instead of the 50s.

The Democratic Party needs to open up for all generations (judging by candidate recruitment for this cycle, they have), as do places like this. There was a poster here who called Run For Something (a group who's goal is to elect a bench of younger Democrats who understand the issues young people are facing) to state/local offices ageist. IMO that's like calling EMILY's list sexist because they don't support male candidates.

Comatose Sphagetti (508 posts)

51. Outgroup Homogeneity Effect:

"The tendency to view an outgroup as homogenous, or as “all the same,” whereas the ingroup is seen as more heterogeneous or varied."

AKA, prejudice.
I live in the country and suspect I have been lumped into the "toothless ignorant hillbilly" cohort by urbane passers-through.

Stinky The Clown (58,449 posts)

41. You mean like we don't stereotype Boomers?

We must not pick on the millennials, because they are our future. Just ask David Camera-Hogg. True that.
nocoincidences (144 posts)

16. This one is very subtle and I have noticed it

because it affects my last name.

Losing the t sound in the middle of a two syllable word if there is a vowel before and after the t.

Nu--er Bu--er

Fa--un (fatten)

Co--un

It drives me crazy!!!!

I do volunteer work at an animal shelter and had to hear the young'uns talk about the "ki-ens" all the time.

Fun thread. I'd rather see them pick at each other than read more about Trump and The Deplorables right now.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: Annoying millennial speech habits
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »
I'm a token non boomer on this board. If I had to guess, there's a lot of people who would otherwise post here who don't because of this. I almost feel the need to apologize for being born in the 80s instead of the 50s.

As a du'er, liberal / progressive you need to apologize for being born at all. :loser: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
There is one speech habit that almost all of libs, regardless of age, have. Each one refers to itself as a "demonicrat" but says it in such a way that it sounds like "democrat".
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
Stay woke!  Still have never heard that outside of the internet.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:31:14 AM »
Stay woke!  Still have never heard that outside of the internet.

Seeing that one always makes me want to scream.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »
There is one speech habit that almost all of libs, regardless of age, have. Each one refers to itself as a "demonicrat" but says it in such a way that it sounds like "democrat".

:hi5: !

I haven't heard any of those Millennialisms, but maybe I don't hang out in malls often enough or something.

Comatose Sphagetti (508 posts)

51. Outgroup Homogeneity Effect:

"The tendency to view an outgroup as homogenous, or as “all the same,” whereas the ingroup is seen as more heterogeneous or varied."

CS should be Alerted for criticizing DU!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:53:10 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
Starting all your sentences with "So..."

It drives me up a wall.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
:hi5: !

I haven't heard any of those Millennialisms, but maybe I don't hang out in malls often enough or something.

CS should be Alerted for criticizing DU!
Two questions:
1. Do millennials actually hang out at the mall?
2. Do malls still exist?

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 04:03:53 AM »
Language is very dynamic. Read some books in the English of circa 1400 - 1500 and you'll find you have trouble understanding it. Go back a couple of more centuries and you'll find you can't understand a single sentence. You may get a word or two here and there but not enough to deduce a meaning.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »
Language is very dynamic. Read some books in the English of circa 1400 - 1500 and you'll find you have trouble understanding it. Go back a couple of more centuries and you'll find you can't understand a single sentence. You may get a word or two here and there but not enough to deduce a meaning.
The link is a guy reading Old English and Middle English(1st link). It sounds like that mumbling guy from Hot Fuzz(2nd link):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NB2Z6pZBNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ng3fG1u4Xg
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »
Sun Apr 15, 2018, 10:02 AM

2. How about we stop stereotyping a generation

When they stop eating Tide Pods and snorting condoms.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
The link is a guy reading Old English and Middle English(1st link). It sounds like that mumbling guy from Hot Fuzz(2nd link):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NB2Z6pZBNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ng3fG1u4Xg

Excellent. It's hard to believe it's the same language we speak. I started reading books written by some of the more famous Puritans (John Owens, Richard Baxter, John Bunyon) and I started with the modern updates but switched to the original text. It was very difficult at first. Not so much the words being used but the sentence and grammar structure feels unnatural at first.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Ausonius

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 03:12:40 PM »
Starting all your sentences with "So..."

It drives me up a wall.

KC

Not to mention: "Wait!"

I have noticed  some of my students dropping consonants - especially "d's" and "t's" -  in the mi (dd) le of words: La (t) in, ba (tt) le, etc. as if they are the lowest of low-class Limeys! 

A symbol of their general laziness, pure and simple, and therefore auguring nothing good about the future!
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."