Author Topic: I used to be a drunk...  (Read 2638 times)

Offline CC27

I used to be a drunk...
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:45:12 AM »
Comatose Sphagetti (447 posts)

I used to be a drunk...

But a growing awareness something was terribly wrong - and the insistence of law enforcement - brought me to a treatment center.
There I attended recovery meetings.
Now, this was back in the day. There was no coddling. You were not-so-delicately informed you were full of shit... That your thinking was irrational, that you were suffering from a psychosis defined by delusion, denial, rationalization, minimization, etc. All in an absurd effort to keep from addressing the underlying issue (fear) causing the problem.
Now, I'm just as smart as anyone else. But I would not/could not see my behavior. I DID NOT SEE IT. It took the help of others years down the road to recovery for me to see my behavior as others saw it.
I bring this up because I see the same delusion, denial, rationalization, minimization, etc. in trumpers. They DO NOT/CANNOT SEE the hypocrisy, fear, and absurd thinking/behavior. They are suffering, as I was, from a fear-based psychosis.
How to change this? It is difficult. I was a Social Worker working with drunks and most would not internalize the fact they were mentally/emotionally disturbed - and many died. The only thing I can do is what I do today - set an example through altruism and service to others.
A warning - This inability to see our own behavior/warped thinking applies to everyone - right and left.
The great benefit of these recovery meetings is that I have others to help me see if I begin to fall back into fear-based behavior; others help me see what I need to do to stay a rational, sane, compassionate human being.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210283767

DUmp is not a healthy place for you.

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: I used to be a drunk...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »
Typical smug virtue signalling.

The blind ones are the idiots who cannot see how much GOOD President Trump has accomplished FOR THE ENTIRE COUNTRY, while wearing blindfolds and kneepads the last 8 years.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »
Ironic that gets posted on a Trump derangement site which is FEAR of Trump 24/7.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »
Crap, I thought it was a "come to Jesus" moment for the Bostonian Drunkard.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
Quote from:
Comatose Sphagetti

Now, I'm just as smart as anyone else.

Logical Fallacy: Argumentum Ad Ignorantiam

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
omatose Sphagetti (447 posts)

I used to be a drunk...

But a growing awareness something was terribly wrong - and the insistence of law enforcement - brought me to a treatment center.
There I attended recovery meetings.
Now, this was back in the day. There was no coddling. You were not-so-delicately informed you were full of shit... That your thinking was irrational, that you were suffering from a psychosis defined by delusion, denial, rationalization, minimization, etc. All in an absurd effort to keep from addressing the underlying issue (fear) causing the problem.
Now, I'm just as smart as anyone else. But I would not/could not see my behavior. I DID NOT SEE IT. It took the help of others years down the road to recovery for me to see my behavior as others saw it.
I bring this up because I see the same delusion, denial, rationalization, minimization, etc. in trumpers. They DO NOT/CANNOT SEE the hypocrisy, fear, and absurd thinking/behavior. They are suffering, as I was, from a fear-based psychosis.
How to change this? It is difficult. I was a Social Worker working with drunks and most would not internalize the fact they were mentally/emotionally disturbed - and many died. The only thing I can do is what I do today - set an example through altruism and service to others.
A warning - This inability to see our own behavior/warped thinking applies to everyone - right and left.
The great benefit of these recovery meetings is that I have others to help me see if I begin to fall back into fear-based behavior; others help me see what I need to do to stay a rational, sane, compassionate human being.

So now you are a sober idiot instead of a drunk one?  Go back to drinking. At least people will think it is the booze talking instead of you just being a complete idiot.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »
If he keeps his mind focused on politics he will be back to drinking before he knows it.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
This AM Mrs. FD and I watched my guilty TV show pleasure, "Mom."

And it reminded me of something:  real people that are in treatment NEVER say "I USED to be a drunk."  They ALWAYS say "I am an alcoholic."  Once someone recognizes they have a drinking problem it is FOREVER.  You are ALWAYS recovering.

I have known people in AA, close friends and relatives, and should have remembered that when I first read this POC.

Hey lurking DUmmy -- this isn't just a bouncy, it is an out and out LIE and one that trivializes the many people who end each day with a prayer thanking their Higher Power for another day of sobriety.  And will do so for the rest of their lives.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 04:01:33 PM »
A drunk, "Earl"? People who know you here:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/brookville-in/T5UVH5P8MIPTU3973/p2

think it's more of another substance abuse problem.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »
So now you are a sober idiot instead of a drunk one?  Go back to drinking. At least people will think it is the booze talking instead of you just being a complete idiot.

:werd:

This AM Mrs. FD and I watched my guilty TV show pleasure, "Mom."

And it reminded me of something:  real people that are in treatment NEVER say "I USED to be a drunk."  They ALWAYS say "I am an alcoholic."  Once someone recognizes they have a drinking problem it is FOREVER.  You are ALWAYS recovering.

I have known people in AA, close friends and relatives, and should have remembered that when I first read this POC.

Hey lurking DUmmy -- this isn't just a bouncy, it is an out and out LIE and one that trivializes the many people who end each day with a prayer thanking their Higher Power for another day of sobriety.  And will do so for the rest of their lives.

I love that show.  I've noticed that, too.  Whenever they introduce themselves, it's "Hi, I Christy, and I'm an alcoholic", never "Hi, I'm Bill, and I use to be a drunk". 

Any substance abuse problem is a non-stop, continuous, day to day struggle to stay clean and/or sober...

Only those with few if any functioning brain cells would claim they were cured...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:42:24 PM by diesel driver »
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »
DUmp is not a healthy place for you.

These poor dumb bastards.
We're what... about 2 years into Trump going mainstream now...
And these freekin maroons still haven't figured out that the quality we most like about Trump is is ability to troll the left with such blatant disregard for civility, that they collapse in their own outrage. And Trump KNOWS we love it...
These people were so vile towards America and freedom for so long, and so arrogant about it, they had this coming x10. No mercy.
I used to have at least a moderate passive streak in me... but after living through the Obama years, I've come to want these people utterly destroyed... and with prejudice.
They wanted to draw hard lines, so by God I'll do everything I can to make sure they are bound by them to the bitter end.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 07:38:28 AM »
Graduated to pill-popping pothead.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »

He's got "wet brain." :whistling: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
When DUmbshits post shit like this, it reminds me of the Steven Wright line:

"I used to be a drunk. I'm still a drunk, but I used to be one, too."
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 06:46:14 PM »
When DUmbshits post shit like this, it reminds me of the Steven Wright line:

He may have "been" a drunk, but he's forever a DUmbass...
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.