Author Topic: Proglodytes claims school was locked down - on President's Day  (Read 1390 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Proglodytes claims school was locked down - on President's Day
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
dsc (46,060 posts)

We had a shelter in place situation today at my school

Apparently an old threat about one of our schools got reposted today and somehow my school got dragged into it. Having had no idea of what the post was or where it had come from and our pa system was broken made it even more nerve racking. I already have an odd sort of last period of the day so this was not what any of us needed. It is hard enough to teach math to second semester seniors add in random security issues and it is hard to get anything done. I have worked in many different schools and have had good and bad days, but the outside world is really getting annoying. I can't say I really think there is much chance of an incident at my school but the fear is there.

The fact is it is already hard to staff my school (we have three math openings) and we are hardly alone. I love most of my students and love my job most days but I am not cut out for this gun stuff. That isn't me. Again, the rational math teacher in me knows that the likelihood of this happening is very small but unless we change things outside of schools, things inside of schools will never be certain. Growing up we had tornado drills, fire drills, and no other drills. Now we have to keep classroom doors locked, we have shelter in place drills, lock down drills, and have to wonder, if it comes to it what can we do to protect ourselves. Honestly, this can't continue. If you want schools, if you want teachers, this needs fixed.

Not a single student could be found that fateful day.

demtenjeep (24,272 posts)
2. and the fact that some want us to be armed....no frikin way

I have my CCW, I target shoot, I could protect myself BUT I will not be armed in my classroom.

Oh please.

If you were ever confronted with danger you would shit yourself.

You may not even wait for the threat to emerge.

appalachiablue (13,697 posts)
4. Amen. The murder insanity must stop, teachers no matter how skilled

should not and cannot be required to serve as law enforcement/police.

If you would rather wait 15 to 30 minutes for the police to arrive rather than defend yourself and the innocents around you, you are a despicable coward.

Luciferous (2,602 posts)
5. My kid's schools were on lockdown last week. My daughter wanted to be a biology teacher, but now

she's planning on doing research instead
. It's a shame because we need good teachers, but how do they think they're going to attract them? They are overworked, underpaid, they can't get the supplies they need half the time, and now they have to risk their lives protecting our kids?!

At least another generation will be spared.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210259884
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: Proglodytes claims school was locked down - on President's Day
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
It's a shame because we need good teachers, but how do they think they're going to attract them? With free pot, birth contro and abortions.They are overworked, underpaid, they can't get the supplies they need half the time, and now they have to risk their lives protecting our kids?!So where are the trillions we spend on education going? to corrupt democrat school administrators?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline hillneck

Re: Proglodytes claims school was locked down - on President's Day
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
Oh, where should I start.

demtenjeep (24,272 posts)
2. and the fact that some want us to be armed....no frikin way
I have my CCW, I target shoot, I could protect myself BUT I will not be armed in my classroom.

So let me get this straight.  You would rather have some lunatic shoot your students than you protect them.  Yeah you're a real fine teacher.

appalachiablue (13,697 posts)
4. teachers no matter how skilled
should not and cannot be required to serve as law enforcement/police.

No. 1, it's not a requirement.  It would be only a voluntry basis.  Plus they're not giving you training to be a police officer, just enough training to protect yourself and others that are unarmed.
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.