Author Topic: The rights of disabled Americans are under attack  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
The rights of disabled Americans are under attack
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:43:10 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210239151

Star Member spanone
The rights of disabled Americans are under attack

(CNN)The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) has been law for 28 years now -- and I can honestly say that rights for Americans with disabilities, including accessibility to public spaces, are now facing more uncertainty and outright hostility than at any time in recent memory.

Recently, Delta Airlines began pushing back on service and support animals, introducing a new policy that requires increased documentation to register the animals at least 48 hours in advance of flying. No other population is required to submit additional paperwork 48 hours before a flight. This will undoubtedly impact people with disabilities' access to the ability to "get up and go" with the same level of flexibility as individuals without disabilities.

While there have been stories of people without disabilities taking advantage of rights that are clearly not theirs -- to transport animals who are not used for service or support, and in some cases behaved inappropriately -- the lasting impact of the airline's misguided efforts to address the problem will fall on travelers with disabilities (including those with hidden or nonvisible disabilities and chronic conditions), making it harder to travel for business or pleasure.....

The Trump administration is on the attack, and so are many states. Across America, marginalized communities -- LGBT, Muslim, African-American and more -- are having to advocate for their right to access society, in a way unseen since the 1960s or '70s. This is equally true for the disability community, which represents anywhere from one in four to one in five people in this country, and which is having to defend against a sweeping assault on their rights and protections.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/opinions/disability-access-under-attack-trump-hr-620-cokley-opinion/index.html

Ok, this is something really important to me. I own a real estate company and we manage a lot of rentals. I’ll explain more in a minute.

1. All rights that we have fought for decades for (and longer) are under attack. That is what is hard
to fight - every day brings dozens of offense they commit and regressive steps they take to kill America.

That is why I think it is a poor tactic to try and resist each and every one of these specific issue individually.

The problem is the system they have created to subvert democracy.

So they must be attacked with a comprehensive battle plan that does not get bogged down in small details.

We have to go for a complete destruction of the Trump regime, no matter the consequences for the nation. There is going to be an unending list of specific gripes.

Let's copncentrate on a plan of attack that strikes at the heart of their corrupt system.

Uh, WOW!  All over these stupid service animals.

Lee-Lee
2. The ever growing trend of fake service animals made this kind of result inevitable
Just recently some lady was trying to take her “emotional support peacock” on a flight.

The fake claims of “emotional support animal” have made it almost pointless for anyone owning rental property to ban animals, becuse people just lie about it and abuse the law.

The internet is loaded with websites that offer bogus credentials for your bogus service animals, it’s a whole industry anymore.

Someone gets it.

It’s a new thread and might get interesting, but here’s the deal. These animals are almost completely unregulated. Here in Texas we are not allowed to forbid a person with a service animal from moving into a rental for having a service animal even if the owners just completely remodeled and do not want any pets. All the applicant has to do is claim it’s a service animal.

There is no training required for the animal. The only document we can legally request is a note from a doctor saying this person needs a service animal, and it doesn’t have to say what the animal is for.

We can’t restrict the type of animal. If it’s a pig, then you’re going to have a pig in your home and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it. You cannot charge a security (pet) deposit for the animal, and you cannot RESTRICT THE NUMBER OF ANIMALS THE PERSON SAYS THEY NEED.

This is a huge problem in the rental area and we just dealt with this nightmare. The renter ended up with 6 service animals in the home. 1 was a Great Dane, 2 were Rottweilers, 1 was a pit bull.

The home was newly remodeled when we placed the renter. There was over $6,000.00 in damage to the home when the renter left after being evicted for non payment. Renter was in the home less than 2 years.

There is going to be a huge push soon. It can’t come soon enough to suit me.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: The rights of disabled Americans are under attack
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »
I went over to the island (in full MOPP gear, mind you) and the first comment had been removed.  I wonder why? :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
I went over to the island (in full MOPP gear, mind you) and the first comment had been removed.  I wonder why? :whistling:

Wow, that was fast!  Removed, but most of them feel the same way.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
The proliferation of fake "support animals" may have been a/the trigger, but as one TX Congressman pointed out, suing small businesses - especially those in older buildings - has been a cottage industry for decades. My understanding is that the bill mandates that threatened businesses be given time to rectify problems before a lawsuit can be filed. So DU-folk are objecting to access issues being fixed without a lawsuit.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
Here's a beauty of a "need" for a service animal.  This antifa bitch gets arrested for disturbing the peace and immediately goes into meltdown because the Police have separated her from her "service" animal...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBZXYY4MWM
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Undies

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
Like many abused areas of American culture, the quest for "rights" can be used to help destroy that culture.  I have tried to warn people for many years that a "right" claimed is a "right" lost by someone else.  There is no exceptions.  And every law is a right denied, good or bad. 

For example, I lost my right to live in a society that does not condone and promote sodomy.  I loved that right, too.  Now it is lost.

The ADA was always way too intrusive, and way too expensive.  Like all other good intentions (which is a lie itself), it ends up being a way to punish others and stop the progression of freedom.

I have been waiting for the day we must ground all aircraft because blind people cannot fly a plane.  And the day all piano lessons are cancelled because the deaf cannot teach piano.  And *NO*, I am not being too farfetched.  Liberalism (the perpetual do-gooders) will never stop.     

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »
The proliferation of fake "support animals" may have been a/the trigger, but as one TX Congressman pointed out, suing small businesses - especially those in older buildings - has been a cottage industry for decades. My understanding is that the bill mandates that threatened businesses be given time to rectify problems before a lawsuit can be filed. So DU-folk are objecting to access issues being fixed without a lawsuit.

I’ll promise you one thing, ALL these scam artists know the law, and they won’t hestitate to whip out their ‘service attorney’ paid for by all of us.

The renter we evicted (which was only the 3rd person we have had to formally evict in 17 years), constantly informed us of their ‘rights’ and made several very pointed threats of using the law to get what they wanted. Fortunately Texas has pretty decent eviction time frames.

Not to mention whenever we would bring up late rent the renter would point out the fact they were black and that was why they were being treated so poorly. You know, doing things like asking for rent to be paid on time. Evidently this renter felt that being black and ‘disabled’ afforded you rights to pay rent when you felt like it. They learned differently.

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
 O.   M.   G!!!
It's a war on cripples.  :panic:
Those rat BAStards have no shame.
What's next? Removing the Braille numbers from drive-up ATMs?1   
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
O.   M.   G!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Well played, sir!  ^5 to you, my friend.

KC

*Stolen

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »
O.   M.   G!!!

"Do Not Touch" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »
The phony service / emotional support animal thing is out of hand. Here in Fla people bring thm int ogrocery stores restaurants etc. I like animals, but there needs to be some animal free places.

I live in a condo that was pet free for a long time then some people started getting dogs, now it sounds like a kennel and a lot of them don't bother to clean up the poop after it craps.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:45 PM »
The phony service / emotional support animal thing is out of hand. Here in Fla people bring thm int ogrocery stores restaurants etc. I like animals, but there needs to be some animal free places.

I live in a condo that was pet free for a long time then some people started getting dogs, now it sounds like a kennel and a lot of them don't bother to clean up the poop after it craps.

On two consecutive nights at different bars, I asked a packed house of patrons "what unusual type of comfort animal was denied boarding on a United flight in late January/early February?". 95% of the teams correctly said peacock.  Never know what questions will be difficult or easy, amongst a rather smart group of trivia folks.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »
Like many abused areas of American culture, the quest for "rights" can be used to help destroy that culture.  I have tried to warn people for many years that a "right" claimed is a "right" lost by someone else.  There is no exceptions.  And every law is a right denied, good or bad. 

For example, I lost my right to live in a society that does not condone and promote sodomy.  I loved that right, too.  Now it is lost.

The ADA was always way too intrusive, and way too expensive.  Like all other good intentions (which is a lie itself), it ends up being a way to punish others and stop the progression of freedom.

I have been waiting for the day we must ground all aircraft because blind people cannot fly a plane.  And the day all piano lessons are cancelled because the deaf cannot teach piano.  And *NO*, I am not being too farfetched.  Liberalism (the perpetual do-gooders) will never stop.     

libs feel one thing:  better for EVERYONE to do without, than for SOMEONE to do without.  It lets them snif over their virtue signalling and ensure the shared misery of all.

Which is the desired endpoint of liberalism.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
>a new policy that requires increased documentation to register the animals at least 48 hours in advance of flying.

Okay DUmptard, you want to bring your Pit-Bullcrap on a plane, I get to bring my .44 or bigger.   Idiot.